1386 19 2015-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Hi Everyone,

I have had a few requests about my editing process so created a tutorial that goes through an entire video, from import to final master.

Here's a link to my Tutorial Thread, please post questions/comments there -

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=9738&fromuid=21263

2015-7-19
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

It's pretty long, about 45 minutes so either dot through it or watch every step.
2015-7-20
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to do this for us all. I know how time consuming this can be and must be a labor of love for you making us the beneficiaries. So thank you once again. Just watched a few minutes of it this morning but will be watching the rest i am sure. Color grading is my next step to really learn along with multi-camera and better editing to tell a better story.

Cheers
2015-7-20
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

houston Posted at 2015-7-20 21:49
Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to do this for us all. I know how time consuming this can be and ...

Thanks for that Houston.  

It's really no problem as I'm doing it anyway and not difficult to talk as I go, though sometimes I babble on and don't always make sense!  

Hopefully there is something useful in there!

Cheers,

Jim
2015-7-20
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Thank you Jim. I have followed your videos and comments from my first video with the Inspire 1. Now I have over 200 flights and a lot of shooting and editing practice. Still I feel like a novise - but I refuse to give up.

Now I have started to "pre edit" my Inspire clips before I import them to FCP X. I simply go trough my clips in QT and kind of raw clip them before importing them. In that way I feel I get more handable clips to work with in FCP X and I also save some dataspace on my external harddrive.
Jim - does this make sence at all ? And Jim when you say that you change your exposure in the air - you do mean altering the shutter speed ? Or have I missed somthing vital . ( I often do )
2015-7-20
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-20 23:09
Thank you Jim. I have followed your videos and comments from my first video with the Inspire 1. Now  ...

Hey nilsblix,

1. Yes, definitely altering shutter speed as I fly.  What works for one shot may be too bright or dim for the next.   Take shooting 90° down for example.  You will need to lower the shutter speed as it will be darker than it is shooting into the horizon or sky with clouds etc.   You need to keep each shot in check.   Since ISO is usually pegged at 100, shutter becomes a good way to regulate.   

2. I talk about pre-grading footage in my first tutorials.  This is essentially what you're talking about except it can limit or ruin your ability to make the footage beautiful if you do it wrong.   What exactly are you doing in QuickTime?   Just removing the garbage between great moments?   How are you exporting the footage?  It doesn't sound like you are color correcting at this time which means you may be losing a generation of quality with no benefit.      Try using the method I do in the tutorial.   You can always erase it from the hard drive later to recover the space.   
2015-7-20
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-21 07:24
Hey nilsblix,

1. Yes, definitely altering shutter speed as I fly.  What works for one shot may be ...

Thanks for answering. No I only clip the shoots in QT so I get rid of most of the unwanted footage. I used to do it the way you does it but found it somewhat faster to "preclip" in QT. I just wonder if doing it like this makes any alteration on the quality. ( i do not think so ). I do all the grading in FCP X.
Never mind on a second thought - working with proxy up to the stage of grading seams to be a better idea afther all. ( I am just a type that have to try doing things smart - and often fails )
2015-7-20
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-21 14:54
Thanks for answering. No I only clip the shoots in QT so I get rid of most of the unwanted footage ...

Heh, I think the proxy approach is better.   Hard drive space is cheap these days and the Inspire files are soooo compressed that several minutes is only 1GB.   

Pre-clipping can cause a generation loss as you resave (recompress) the file, even if it's the same CODEC.   Best to work with first gen files.

I think your train of thought pulled into the station while you were writing your post!   
2015-7-21
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-21 19:40
Heh, I think the proxy approach is better.   Hard drive space is cheap these days and the Inspire  ...

Thanks Jim. And you are absoulutly right -  writing it down claryfied it for me - I will go Proxy.
I will also thank you for making me think about the clip lenght in each video. I tended to have 3 to 4 longer vlips make the video - but for sure in lot of videos it would be mor exciting to have shorter and multiple clips.
2015-7-21
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-21 19:40
Heh, I think the proxy approach is better.   Hard drive space is cheap these days and the Inspire  ...

Here you can see what I mean by using long few clips that I tend to do. I think the video will be less boring with multiple shorter clips.
https://vimeo.com/132704439
2015-7-21
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-21 21:31
Here you can see what I mean by using long few clips that I tend to do. I think the video will be  ...

I thought those long clips were lovely.  Allowed the viewer to really focus on the subject and the pace should be slow and relaxed.   An exciting, quick cut video might not serve the subject matter.

I did notice a couple of moments that were out of place, such as the quick move towards the watercraft.   That was a bit jarring but most of it seemed to suit the subject.
There are plenty of editing styles and each has a place.   My tutorial was mainly about cutting around bad footage, which I see a lot on the forum.   People leave in all the bumps and trajectory changes, which ruins the magic.   Certainly doesn't mean you must cut every second to hold attention, just to use your best footage.

2015-7-21
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

Canada

At first I did not see that you edited the original post from March and I remember you doing something with Davinci, (which btw I could never it get it to open a .mov file). But I am pleased to see that you are working in FCPX which Is my preferred editor. I will watch this with interest and bet I will learn some valuable information.

As others have mentioned, thanks for sharing your wealth of information.
2015-7-21
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

remltr Posted at 2015-7-22 06:02
At first I did not see that you edited the original post from March and I remember you doing somethi ...

Thanks remitr, hope it helps.

Keep trying with DaVinci.  There are several versions floating around so the tutorial may not work step-by-step, but once you crack it the power is incredible and well worth the learning curve.

The ability to work with any aspect of any image is too good to pass up.
2015-7-21
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you Jim

Great job as always!  I will keep this in my library for refreshers as needed

Rich
2015-7-21
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Omg, this new editing tutorial will rocket your credits sky-high !
I'm sure you know what i'm talking about.
You deserve it.
2015-7-21
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

dundee Posted at 2015-7-22 13:02
Omg, this new editing tutorial will rocket your credits sky-high !
I'm sure you know what i'm talkin ...

I do but I haven't quite mastered it sensei.
2015-7-21
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-7-22 12:29
Thank you Jim

Great job as always!  I will keep this in my library for refreshers as needed

Thanks Rich!  Always good to hear from you!
2015-7-22
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Jim...Once again thanks for the help ...My editing just made a big improvement...I have to be more picky editing my clips. Tried it a couple times and it was a big improvement....Im using Adobe Premiere Elements 13 and may upgrade to Premier Pro.
2015-7-23
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-7-24 13:05
Jim...Once again thanks for the help ...My editing just made a big improvement...I have to be more p ...

Fantastic Wildcat Willie!

Yeah, you have to be completely cut-throat when choosing the best footage.  Also makes you a better shooter as you'll now be looking for the magic shots while you fly!

Jim
2015-7-24
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Just a reminder, learning to edit and really looking at your clips makes you much better at shooting.    You will train your eye to find the beauty in every shot and you'll recognize it instantly in the field.

You'll also know whether you've got the shot or not as you'll see the bumps and lumps and can try the shot again rather than assume it's okay.

So think about shooting and editing as a partnership and, as always, be totally cut throat when it comes to choosing which clips make the cut!
2015-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules