DJI FLY 1.4.3 Iphone overheating due to force charging in Sunny day
5568 36 2021-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alex Tse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4486240 ft
Hong Kong

Basically now the IOS DJI FLY 1.4.3 has no more option to turn on or off charging our iphone.

In my opinion, it should be stick to what it was, default with no charging and have the option to charge when the user needed it.

Now the 1.4.3 forced the charging always on, while flying out DJI drone under sunlight, the iphone will heat up so quickly and make our iphone brightness dim due to overheating even faster.

Unless there are reasons to always charging.
our iphone should not be charge by default.

DJI please reconsider giving back the charging option in the next DJI fly update.

I basically can’t fly my iphone 11 pro max under sunlight even with DJI hood since the 1.4.3
2021-5-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 Having the same concerns and would like to see the option returned.
2021-5-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Alex Tse. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will forward these information and this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-5-27
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'll never understand why they change things like that. Why take away a choice as simple as that?
2021-5-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hopefully DJI will hear your concerns and revert the change in iOS version of the DJI Fly App.  
2021-5-28
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

I just don't understand why they broke something that didn't need "fixing". They just need to add the toggle switch back. No big deal. I'm just not optimistic that they will though.
2021-5-28
Use props
fanscf15a875
lvl.1
Flight distance : 599560 ft
Hong Kong

I have same result from my phone latest ios version 14.6 XS MAX getting very hot and dark screen after 2-3 minutes connection. The picture getting slow and freezing. This force me to shunt it down and put it under mobile fan for cooling 5 minutes. Once restarted the screen was bright and sharp, however as you all knew ,when connected to dji fly app and the drone, the screen will getting almost burn as always. The sun was not strong.

I never had this issue in Go4 app with mavic pro and video cache always on.
2021-6-7
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251762 ft
United Kingdom

+1 give us back control, the additional heat from charing and the heat from the summer months is going to cause iphones to shutdown mid flight.
2021-6-7
Use props
DaddyLee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 483619 ft
United States

Yeah, this is BS. I've never had the overheating issue with my iPhone XR before this new update and automatic charging. First, no option to charge from controller... Second, the solution to always charge with no option to turn it off. DJI... Obvious middle ground here? How hard would an update be that gave us the option to charge or not??
2021-6-10
Use props
DaddyLee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 483619 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-27 19:13
Hello there Alex Tse. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will forward these information and this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you and fly safe always.

This is going to a serious issue now that summer is heating up. I imagine more and more complaints about the automatic charging and overheating issue will plague your customers. Should be a quick fix.
2021-6-10
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DaddyLee Posted at 6-10 12:51
This is going to a serious issue now that summer is heating up. I imagine more and more complaints about the automatic charging and overheating issue will plague your customers. Should be a quick fix.

+1 please give back control
2021-6-10
Use props
fans7fdc35d1
lvl.1

United States

Yes please please please give us the option back. It is unusable in the AZ summer. Screen dims and over heats within 5 minutes of flying
2021-6-16
Use props
fansf7821213
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198517 ft
United States

I am now having the same issue. Just updated to 1.4.4 hoping there would be a change. What I find is that after a few minutes the phone heats up and I lose video feed. The drone still flys fine, but the app will not work properly and begin to crash. My iPhone XS Max gets very warm. I never had an issue before, both 1) due to cooler temperatures, and 2) I didn't normally have phone charging on.
2021-6-17
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am having the same problem, of course.  

Phone charging needs to be optional!!
2021-6-17
Use props
Geraud75
lvl.2

France

Same problem here. Now because of the heat, my iPhone 7 dim the screen and my cpu is overload… Dji have to change this, as I don’t feel safe flying anymore…
2021-6-18
Use props
djiuser_iKTZrCTUm7T4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1057283 ft
Germany

Same Problem with my ipad on sunny days. i already opened a ticket to DJI. Hope the option will come back to turn off this feature.
2021-7-2
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
United Kingdom

djiuser_iKTZrCTUm7T4 Posted at 7-2 03:07
Same Problem with my ipad on sunny days. i already opened a ticket to DJI. Hope the option will come back to turn off this feature.

I have had the same now with warmer days
2021-7-2
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

+100  This is a serious issue with the summer heat!  DJI really needs to fix this issue as the dimming prevents video viewing when flying even with a phone/table shade.
2021-7-2
Use props
Jet Junkie
lvl.1

United States

Yeah this is a big problem for me too. I just purchased 3 additional batteries --adding to my mavic mini 2 fly more combo-- but I can't even use up one battery without any of the phones in the house getting firecracker hot! Two iphone XR and an iphone 8S each of them barely making it to 50% battery today; and it's only 90F today! The screen gets crazy dark every time too, so pretty much can't fly until I find a fix.
Originally it took me a while to notice, but even before this update I realized turning on phone charging was the culprit responsible for screen dimming, so I only used it for maybe the last battery when my phone got to 10% or so.

Heck, even default off with no charging option would be preferable at this point.

2021-7-2
Use props
ilbonfi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 217910 ft
Italy

I faced the very same problem last week in Sicily, in a hot and sunny day. My iPhone 11 Pro warned for overheating and then dimmed the display almost to black after 10 minutes. I hat to use RTH function to have my mini 2 back, without any chance to see anything on the display. luckily I did my homework before setting proper RTH altitude. It was not nice and I preferred to stop using mini 2 for the vacation. Please give us charging on/off option again. Thanks.
iPhone 11 Pro
dji fly 1.4.8
Mini 2
2021-7-2
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ilbonfi Posted at 7-2 10:21
I faced the very same problem last week in Sicily, in a hot and sunny day. My iPhone 11 Pro warned for overheating and then dimmed the display almost to black after 10 minutes. I hat to use RTH function to have my mini 2 back, without any chance to see anything on the display. luckily I did my homework before setting proper RTH altitude. It was not nice and I preferred to stop using mini 2 for the vacation. Please give us charging on/off option again. Thanks.
iPhone 11 Pro
dji fly 1.4.8

We need this back it’s critical for iPhone users
2021-7-2
Use props
djiuser_GZfgOqqAIEGn
New

Germany

I have the same issue. Darren McHardy in Youtube showed on camera how his iPhone went completely out during the flight due to overheating. @DJI please please fix it soon. Let us choose if or not to charge our devices!
2021-7-4
Use props
I’m having the same problem. My last three flights, I get 5 minutes in and that’s it, can’t see my screen!!! Makes flying very unsafe!! Even though I have line of sight, I trust the screen as well. I also use this for work, so not being able to see what I’m shooting renders the device almost useless after 5 mins. DJI, please give us back the option to turn OFF the charging feature. Much appreciated
2021-7-4
Use props
djiuser_fW0P9RD8I8C4
New
Canada

Same with mine. Lost my drone when the screen went black (phone overheating) and lost visual - in the trees somewhere.

I’m thinking DJI should ask if these “features” are wanted before degrading, I mean, updating software. I doubt DJI would replace my Mini 2 …

Although I can see the (misguided) reasoning behind the no option to turn of charging the phone, that needs to be the pilot’s  decision. A good pilot would check all batteries status anyway (then again, not all are good!).

Bring back the charging option!  Now.

2021-7-4
Use props
djiuser_d0ituNvAzRxS
New

United States

DJI support please fix this issue. Have traveled the last 3 weekends specifically to film with my drone and each time after just a few minutes the screen goes so sim you can’t see where you are flying then the display freezes and you have no idea where the drone is.  I know how to charge my iPhone battery before flying—this situation is unusable.
2021-7-5
Use props
kingnebs
New
United States

This needs to be fixed ASAP. Mini 2 with iPhone XS Max and every time I fly during the day the video feed freezes and the phone gets quite hot. I did not purchase a DJI so that I could fly using only the map.
2021-7-5
Use props
kingnebs
New
United States

Also, thank goodness the DJI controller still works. Anyone else think that this is extremely dangerous?
2021-7-5
Use props
djiuser_bc4CKNAgwu3g
New

United States

Why did you do this and when will it be fixed?
Very lame of your company not to test out your update!
2021-7-5
Use props
Angelbeast
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39170 ft
Germany

+1

I was thinking of getting the Iphone 12 because of the restrictions to install APK in my Android Phone. If this issue is not resolved my strategy would backfire Massively.
2021-7-7
Use props
ihenni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198517 ft
United States

For those who have not heard, somehow the DJI Fly 1.4.8 app now has the ability to choose Phone Charging on or off. There's no update, it just is back where it used to be in the Settings: Control: Phone Charging On or Off.
2021-7-8
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

ihenni Posted at 7-8 14:32
For those who have not heard, somehow the DJI Fly 1.4.8 app now has the ability to choose Phone Charging on or off. There's no update, it just is back where it used to be in the Settings: Control: Phone Charging On or Off.

However, today while flying with this new version, my phone was still charging, even with the switch turned off. It was charging no matter which way the switch was.
2021-7-8
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Hong Kong

The charging rate of the remote is just 3 Watts. Your phone shouldn't be overheating because of such little power. It overheats because it overheats. Even if you don't charge it, it still overheats.
2021-7-12
Use props
Alex Tse
lvl.2
Hong Kong

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-12 04:36
The charging rate of the remote is just 3 Watts. Your phone shouldn't be overheating because of such little power. It overheats because it overheats. Even if you don't charge it, it still overheats.

Hey fried chicken, may i know how you measure the 3watts power?

Your comment is not helpful man, before the force charging were there, i have overheating issue, and true the main reason is not due to charging and the phone overheating itself, it is due to the UV shine right onto the black surface that absorb heat, that why i get the monitor hood from dji but the charging issue does affect say like 30%
it built up heat significant faster, i use a bumper like case with no back cover for my 11 pro max.
2021-7-12
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Japan

Alex Tse Posted at 7-12 17:47
Hey fried chicken, may i know how you measure the 3watts power?

Your comment is not helpful man, before the force charging were there, i have overheating issue, and true the main reason is not due to charging and the phone overheating itself, it is due to the UV shine right onto the black surface that absorb heat, that why i get the monitor hood from dji but the charging issue does affect say like 30%

I used a USB current meter to do that. It charges your phone at about <5V, <0.6 Amps, thus it's below 3 watts. Actually the readings were somewhere like 2.5 Watts.

They've added the option back on iOS devices, but I dunno why they haven't done that on Android, which is weird.. However, that charging, in usual, should be helpful to REDUCE the heat because the current would be used directly to your phone's SOC, instead of going into the battery. This means that it reduces the load on your battery. And you know, the more load on battery, the more heat the battery generates.

However DJI has done a terrible job on 1.4.8 though. So many crashes and bugs lol
2021-7-12
Use props
Alex Tse
lvl.2
Hong Kong

I understand what you trying to say, like the power from the usb should reduce the load from the battery hence less heat generate. If the entire load is off load to the USB power, and phone designer allow this, You could be right. But most phone draw power from battery only, charging it  will not reduce power draw from battery, you are just also charging it at the same time, which increase even more heat. Like phone company usually advice not to game on your phone, while charging. We should have experience charging while using the phone make it very uncomfortable.

For the point on the more load on battery, the more heat the battery generates., Yes to reduce heat, general keep the phone battery above 80%, it tend to generate ess heat at higher % left in your battery.
I haven't been flying much since 1.4.3, Glad to know that the option come back in 1.4.8.

To be honest, If there is reason for DJI to takeaway the option like stability issue or sth, I would rather let the option go.
2021-7-12
Use props
Jet Junkie
lvl.1

United States

Issue is resolved! Once you update the DJI fly app the option becomes available again. Thanks DJI !
2021-7-14
Use props
djiuser_8QAiFIrrE1H7
New
Puerto Rico

I’m having the same problem while flying the mini 2.
2022-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules