How do you back up your SD card on holidays?
1999 28 2021-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

Hi,
I just wonder, how do you back up your videos on the SD card when on a holiday and do not have a lap top computer with you. You spend a lot of money travelling to far away destinations and film something you will never be able to do again and something happens to you SD card. All holiday ruined. Is there a way to back up your SD card, so that you have a copy should something happens to the card?
2021-5-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

yes.

a powerbank | sdd drive with wifi.

https://shop.westerndigital.com/ ... #WDBAMJ2500AGY-EESN

cheers
JJB
2021-5-27
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 5-27 08:02
yes.

Gee.... I say, spot on and super fast reply. This looks exactly what I would need. Had no idea anything like this existed or have never heard of it.  A bit expensive but OK. Thanks very much for you kind help JJB.
2021-5-27
Use props
FloridaNext
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

yes.

Great find, I didn't know this either.

I don't want to highjack the tread but if you own a Smart Controller with a SD-Card plugged in, is it possible to connect a normal SD-Card reader to the USB port of the SC, insert the drone SD and copy/move the videos from the external reader directly to the SD-Card of the SC? Should actually work, right?
2021-5-27
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

FloridaNext Posted at 5-27 08:23
Great find, I didn't know this either.

I don't want to highjack the tread but if you own a Smart Controller with a SD-Card plugged in, is it possible to connect a normal SD-Card reader to the USB port of the SC, insert the drone SD and copy/move the videos from the external reader directly to the SD-Card of the SC? Should actually work, right?

Sorry, I have no idea and have to leave this to the expert here. I would have thought that the SD card is in the done. It might be possible to down load that info via the DJI assistant 2 via the computer.  But if so, why not take out the card and copy it via a  adapter to the USB port?
2021-5-27
Use props
FloridaNext
Second Officer
Germany

kyalami Posted at 5-27 08:51
Sorry, I have no idea and have to leave this to the expert here. I would have thought that the SD card is in the done. It might be possible to down load that info via the DJI assistant 2 via the computer.  But if so, why not take out the card and copy it via a  adapter to the USB port?

Maybe I was not clear enough. Of course my idea was to remove the SD card from the drone, stick it in an $10 external USB reader, attach the external reader to the USB port of the SC and then copy the files from the external SD to the other SD card which is in the SD slot of the SC.

I realize, it's a bit hard to explain.

EDIT: I'm talking about to do it low priced for Smart Controller owners, don't know about the regular RC.

2021-5-27
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

FloridaNext Posted at 5-27 08:58
Maybe I was not clear enough. Of course my idea was to remove the SD card from the drone, stick it in an $10 external reader, attach the external reader to the USB of the SC and then copy the files from the external SD to the other SD card which is in the SD slot of the SC.

I realize, it's a bit hard to explain.

Got you. Now I understand. I do not think this is possible, but wait and see if some one here who really know about this can comment.
2021-5-27
Use props
FloridaNext
Second Officer
Germany

kyalami Posted at 5-27 09:12
Got you. Now I understand. I do not think this is possible, but wait and see if some one here who really know about this can comment.

Do you fly with the Smart Controller or with the regular RC?
2021-5-27
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

FloridaNext Posted at 5-27 09:17
Do you fly with the Smart Controller or with the regular RC?

Hi. I fly with the regular RC and a Samsung phone. All is recorded on the phone but not in 4K, that is only in the drones SD card and can only be transferred either to the computer or now WD stand alone drive as far I know.
2021-5-27
Use props
FloridaNext
Second Officer
Germany

kyalami Posted at 5-27 09:22
Hi. I fly with the regular RC and a Samsung phone. All is recorded on the phone but not in 4K, that is only in the drones SD card and can only be transferred either to the computer or now WD stand alone drive.

Extactly this is my concern too. Even with the Smart Controller you could make a wireless transfer of the files from the drone to the SC in whatever quality or file format but I want an exact 1:1 copy of the files from the drone SD card to another back up SD card. And then I decide what I'm going to do with it, not the Ocusync 2 or whatever software protocol.
2021-5-27
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

FloridaNext Posted at 5-27 09:33
Extactly this is my concern too. Even with the Smart Controller you could make a wireless transfer of the files from the drone to the SC in whatever quality or file format but I want an exact 1:1 copy of the files from the drone SD card to another back up SD card. And then I decide what I'm going to do with it, not the Ocusync 2 or whatever software protocol.

OK kapish. Understand, but this is beyond my knowledge and hope that someone else can jump in and assist with this. All I can say in schwäbish is : Das leben is, schaffe chaffe, heusle baue, kindle krige, schterbe if that is correctly spelt.
2021-5-27
Use props
FloridaNext
Second Officer
Germany

So, I did a test and connected the drone with an USB cable to the Smart Controller. I used the USB slot between the antennas of the SC. The file manager of the SC recognizes the internal memory of the drone, it says "Linux Drive" or so, but not the SD card of the drone. Even though the Windows system can see both drives (internal and SD), the SC does not. Why is everything so hard with the DJI stuff?
2021-5-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there kyalami. Good day and thank you for reaching out. As posted above you may try storing your captured videos and photos using a external hard disk. In addition you may try checking our DJI Where To Buy platform on this link ( https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ) to see if the said external hard disk that you need is available. In addition I hope that you can get some recommendations from our DJI Co pilots with regards to this inquiry as well. Thank you and please be safe always.
2021-5-27
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-27 19:35
Hello there kyalami. Good day and thank you for reaching out. As posted above you may try storing your captured videos and photos using a external hard disk. In addition you may try checking our DJI Where To Buy platform on this link ( https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ) to see if the said external hard disk that you need is available. In addition I hope that you can get some recommendations from our DJI Co pilots with regards to this inquiry as well. Thank you and please be safe always.

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately a hard drive alone needs power and an interface like a computer to get the videos and photos over to it. I do not have a lap top when travelling, so this device JJB suggested like the Western Digital My Passport has everything built in in a small box and the ports for SD cards and battery operated. Have a look at JJBs link and you see what it is. It is perfect for backing up your videos and photos should something happen to you SD cards and does not take up any space at all.
2021-5-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

yes.

Great find JJB*.  
2021-5-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you have an iPhone you can download the footage to your phone and then let iCloud back it up,  but I always take a MacBook Air when I travel just incase.  
2021-5-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

DAFlys Posted at 5-29 00:29
If you have an iPhone you can download the footage to your phone and then let iCloud back it up,  but I always take a MacBook Air when I travel just incase.

Thanks for your reply and tip Da. Can you down load 4K from the drone to your iPhone? If you have enough memory on the phone, then that would be enough to store it there as a back up. Unfortunately I use an Android and do not have a laptop computer, so this is the reason why I asked. My phone also have a cash card in it, so I am not connected to the internet via 4G, only for making a phone call. I do not know if you have this system in UK, but by having a sim card that you load with funds, then I only pay when I make a call. No monthly fees.
2021-5-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 5-29 01:18
Thanks for your reply and tip Da. Can you down load 4K from the drone to your iPhone? If you have enough memory on the phone, then that would be enough to store it there as a back up. Unfortunately I use an Android and do not have a laptop computer, so this is the reason why I asked. My phone also have a cash card in it, so I am not connected to the internet via 4G, only for making a phone call. I do not know if you have this system in UK, but by having a sim card that you load with funds, then I only pay when I make a call. No monthly fees.

In Europe and most of the popular countries I get unlimited data roaming at no cost.   Yes you can download 4K but it's a bit slow but doable.  I was pleased I had as I had all luggage stolen in Italy which included the drone, portable ssd and my MacBook. My only backup was on my phone.   We literally got on the plane with phone and passport and had someone meet us back here with the spare car keys.
Apparently the crooks in many parts of the world now hire out cars. Gets keys cut and programmed and fit a gps tracker so they know when you're close by.
2021-5-29
Use props
RK7dronzy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2278898 ft
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 5-29 01:18

As you have a samsung phone and if you have enough spare drive space, or an sd card, then
connect phone to drone and transfer data either way using a micro usb cable adapter, (couple quid of ebay) to drone usb cable. Thats the way i do so never have to use a laptop.
2021-5-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

RK7dronzy Posted at 5-29 07:51
As you have a samsung phone and if you have enough spare drive space, or an sd card, then
connect phone to drone and transfer data either way using a micro usb cable adapter, (couple quid of ebay) to drone usb cable. Thats the way i do so never have to use a laptop.

Aha, yes now I understand. Yes I do have a Samsung S 10 phone. I do have plenty of space on the phone and can even install an SD card with more space. I was just not sure that you could down load say 10GB of 4K video that way. Just have to learn how to do that. I guess that you have to power up the drone first? Thanks for your tip.
2021-5-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

DAFlys Posted at 5-29 07:49
In Europe and most of the popular countries I get unlimited data roaming at no cost.   Yes you can download 4K but it's a bit slow but doable.  I was pleased I had as I had all luggage stolen in Italy which included the drone, portable ssd and my MacBook. My only backup was on my phone.   We literally got on the plane with phone and passport and had someone meet us back here with the spare car keys.
Apparently the crooks in many parts of the world now hire out cars. Gets keys cut and programmed and fit a gps tracker so they know when you're close by.

Hi, As I have a cash sim card in my phone I am not connected to the internet. O dear, you lost both the drone, the portable SSD and the lap top. That is horrible. Looks like today you can just not trust any one. Then its safe to transferee it to the phone which hopefully is on you all the time. I will probably film on a location which cost too much to come back to to do it again like Maldives. That is why I would like to back everything up after each take. Which portable SSD did you have?
2021-5-29
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Option 1, because you have an older Samsung phone with a SD card storage. Swap drone SD for phone SD and over free wifi send content to Onedrive, Googledrive or similar.
Option 2, (depending on the kit you already own) use an adaptor to accept a USB card reader connection to the phone and use free wifi to online mass storage as above.

I imagined you might have more video than storage space on the phone, but using the USB connector, you can move files to the phone or SD storage on the phone.

Option 3 might be useful for other occasions as well. This uses a cheap, mini router. This way, you can plug the drone card into the router (my old mini router took the card directly). The router shown needed a card reader.  This way, you can copy the drone card to your phone OR send content to online storage using the router as a hotspot. It is also possible, because the device is powered from a 5 volt supply, you could move the drone card content to an external hard drive which would be using another socket on the card reader/adaptor like the multiport adaptor with the red Samsung SD card.  Where you can get this router.
20210529_170144_001.jpg
20210529_165004.jpg
2021-5-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

AlansDronePics Posted at 5-29 08:27
Option 1, because you have an older Samsung phone with a SD card storage. Swap drone SD for phone SD and over free wifi send content to Onedrive, Googledrive or similar.
Option 2, (depending on the kit you already own) use an adaptor to accept a USB card reader connection to the phone and use free wifi to online mass storage as above.

Hi, many thanks for all your tips. Must be good for other people here in the same situation. I like the no:1 tip. Very simple and you always have access to Wi-Fi in hotels. Tip 2 is also good way. Thanks also for the tip using a min router, that's smart as well. Well I think I can save me the cost of SD Wester Digital devise to copy over to. Many thanks again for your assistance Captain.
2021-5-29
Use props
RK7dronzy
Second Officer
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 5-29 08:03
Aha, yes now I understand. Yes I do have a Samsung S 10 phone. I do have plenty of space on the phone and can even install an SD card with more space. I was just not sure that you could down load say 10GB of 4K video that way. Just have to learn how to do that. I guess that you have to power up the drone first? Thanks for your tip.

Yes i have had no prob with 4k files. I have found that it is quite a fast way to transfer files using a class 3 sd card on the drone. Yes fire up drone after plugging in with phone running.
2021-5-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

RK7dronzy Posted at 5-29 11:10
Yes i have had no prob with 4k files. I have found that it is quite a fast way to transfer files using a class 3 sd card on the drone. Yes fire up drone first after plugging in with phone running.

Great news, thats the way to go and many thanks for confirming this. Much appreciated indeed RK7. That saves me heeps of money.
2021-5-29
Use props
RK7dronzy
Second Officer
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 5-29 11:18
Great news, thats the way to go and many thanks for confirming this. Much appreciated indeed RK7. That saves me heeps of money.

Of course yiu could just take the sd card out of drone and put it in the phone. Just came to me after i had posted last.
2021-5-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

RK7dronzy Posted at 5-29 12:17
Of course yiu could just take the sd card out of drone and put it in the phone. Just came to me after i had posted last.

Ha ha ha... Yes, that was the absolute simplest way if you have space, which I have. At least the most important videos will be backed up. I just happened to have a USB adapter for SD card and put in the micro card in that one from the drone and then in to the phone and that works too. Great, thanks for you kind help.
2021-5-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

kyalami Posted at 5-27 23:28
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately a hard drive alone needs power and an interface like a computer to get the videos and photos over to it. I do not have a lap top when travelling, so this device JJB suggested like the Western Digital My Passport has everything built in in a small box and the ports for SD cards and battery operated. Have a look at JJBs link and you see what it is. It is perfect for backing up your videos and photos should something happen to you SD cards and does not take up any space at all.

Hi there kyalami. Thank you for the reply and for these information that you have given. If you have any other inquiries or any concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. Thank and keep flying.
2021-5-30
Use props
RK7dronzy
Second Officer
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 5-30 06:43
Ha ha ha... Yes, that was the absolute simplest way if you have space, which I have. At least the most important videos will be backed up. I just happened to have a USB adapter for SD card and put in the micro card in that one from the drone and then in to the phone and that works too. Great, thanks for you kind help.

2021-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules