Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
M2P batteries swelling
1113 30 2021-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seanlark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53825 ft
Australia

Hi folks - I have 2 of my 3 M2P batteries (purchased in Aus March 2019 so well out of warranty) which are swollen enough to cause an error message to come up when I try to fly and they are not keen to click in. Too dangerous to use now. It is something which happened fairly recently. Very annoying/disappointing as in this part of the world they cost A$240 each! Also, my gear is always stored in an insulated protective case so overheating etc. is never an issue. Does anyone know (before a replacement is bought) what one should/should not do to ensure battery life/protection in future? Maybe it was a bad batch issue? My dealer who is a good operator, couldn't help. Many thanks.
2021-5-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there seanlark. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the batteries of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Battery swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used and stored. Hoping for your kind understanding that every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. Again I am sorry and thank you for understanding.
2021-5-30
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I know how you feel. I had to dump one of mine at the weekend.
2021-5-30
Use props
Marty Markoe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The recommendation that seems to work is to fully charge your batteries and let them discharged to about 50%. When you are next ready to use them charged him up.
2021-5-31
Use props
seanlark
lvl.1
Australia

Marty Markoe Posted at 5-31 03:57
The recommendation that seems to work is to fully charge your batteries and let them discharged to about 50%. When you are next ready to use them charged him up.

thanks Stephen - I have read that or a similar response to others who have had this issue i.e. 'Battery swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used and stored.' Sorry, as I explained, neither of those causes can possibly apply here due to the way they have been cared for/stored; my gear is in mint condition after two years. I have a wide variety of camera and other electronic gear much using similar batteries etc., all used for countless years with NO ISSUES. Quite clearly DJI produced a lousy product (batteries) here at immense expense to users and now simply expect us to wear it.

Thanks to Marty for reply - also read that elsewhere and as it turns out that is precisely the practice I have been following i.e. allowing them to discharge to about 50% and then re-charging and taking care not to 'over-charge'.

A truly disappointing situation; what is most disappointing is the apparent attitude of DJI - they don't seem to understand that the value of their brand in the long term is what 'we' collectively think and feel about it.
2021-5-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

seanlark Posted at 5-31 12:55
thanks Stephen - I have read that or a similar response to others who have had this issue i.e. 'Battery swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used and stored.' Sorry, as I explained, neither of those causes can possibly apply here due to the way they have been cared for/stored; my gear is in mint condition after two years. I have a wide variety of camera and other electronic gear much using similar batteries etc., all used for countless years with NO ISSUES. Quite clearly DJI produced a lousy product (batteries) here at immense expense to users and now simply expect us to wear it.

Thanks to Marty for reply - also read that elsewhere and as it turns out that is precisely the practice I have been following i.e. allowing them to discharge to about 50% and then re-charging and taking care not to 'over-charge'.

Sorry for the case, I understand your frustration. You may send pictures of the swollen battery and the serial number of it to our support via email at http://www.dji.com/support for further verification and assistance.
2021-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There have been a lot of cases of M2P batteries swelling,   sometime people have been lucky with replacements so definite try DJI Susans suggestion,  you've got nothing to loose.
2021-5-31
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-31 23:41
There have been a lot of cases of M2P batteries swelling,   sometime people have been lucky with replacements so definite try DJI Susans suggestion,  you've got nothing to loose.

It was a not-too-uncommon issue with the M2P batteries. Even when people maintained them well. Good thing that it appears that a battery re-design is in the works for the M3....
2021-6-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Meanderthal Posted at 6-1 10:25
It was a not-too-uncommon issue with the M2P batteries. Even when people maintained them well. Good thing that it appears that a battery re-design is in the works for the M3....

Lol. At least one that doesn’t pop out when swollen.
2021-6-1
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-1 10:34
Lol. At least one that doesn’t pop out when swollen.

Thank goodness I never had that issue when I had my M2P.  Rumor has it that the M3 will have a battery that goes in the back, Phantom 4 style. Hopefully that will make it a bit more secure.
2021-6-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Meanderthal Posted at 6-1 10:41
Thank goodness I never had that issue when I had my M2P.  Rumor has it that the M3 will have a battery that goes in the back, Phantom 4 style. Hopefully that will make it a bit more secure.

Yeah. The leaks look like a big mini 2 or a copy of the evo for the battery mount.   Shame they probably won’t get a good EU classification for it.  So far they’ve not bothered for the others.
2021-6-1
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-1 10:56
Yeah. The leaks look like a big mini 2 or a copy of the evo for the battery mount.   Shame they probably won’t get a good EU classification for it.  So far they’ve not bothered for the others.

Yeah- tough sell to the European folks if they don’t get a classification. In any case, it looks like M2 production has been turned off now so hopefully we will get some further M3 leaks soon enough.
2021-6-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Meanderthal Posted at 6-1 11:56
Yeah- tough sell to the European folks if they don’t get a classification. In any case, it looks like M2 production has been turned off now so hopefully we will get some further M3 leaks soon enough.

I think as they have 85% market share they are boycotting the rules.
2021-6-1
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-1 12:35
I think as they have 85% market share they are boycotting the rules.

I suspect they can only do that for so long.
2021-6-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Meanderthal Posted at 6-1 13:12
I suspect they can only do that for so long.

Theres almost no competition here, only Autel and Husban and they dont mark their drones either.
2021-6-1
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-1 23:11
Theres almost no competition here, only Autel and Husban and they dont mark their drones either.

Yeah - but DJI still wants the business. I remember seeing a quote somewhere from a DJI executive  - I don't recall the exact quote - but it said something along the lines that they were waiting for some rule finalization or something and then they would seek certification on their future drones.  I can't remember the exact quote but it was something along those lines.
2021-6-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Meanderthal Posted at 6-2 04:00
Yeah - but DJI still wants the business. I remember seeing a quote somewhere from a DJI executive  - I don't recall the exact quote - but it said something along the lines that they were waiting for some rule finalization or something and then they would seek certification on their future drones.  I can't remember the exact quote but it was something along those lines.

It’s rubbish, since December the rules were final and EASA was ready to classify. The real kink is the uk might be adopting different rules but that’s not finalised yet.
2021-6-2
Use props
Meanderthal
lvl.2

United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-2 04:41
It’s rubbish, since December the rules were final and EASA was ready to classify. The real kink is the uk might be adopting different rules but that’s not finalised yet.

Maybe that's what they were referring to. I wasn't paying too much attention tbh as I live in the US and I'm a "selfish" American.   I do think they will get classified for the M3, they have a whole lobbying division.
2021-6-2
Use props
seanlark
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 5-31 20:00
Sorry for the case, I understand your frustration. You may send pictures of the swollen battery and the serial number of it to our support via email at http://www.dji.com/support for further verification and assistance.

thanks very much DJI Susan and sorry about delay in responding. I did as you suggested and sent photos of the swollen/bulging batteries to DJI via the email link in the support hub and will await the outcome. My 3rd battery is just usable at present but I suspect is going the way of the others! I truly hope something can be done about this as it will certainly restore my faith in the product and the company and I will be sure to tell others of that positive outcome.
2021-6-15
Use props
seanlark
lvl.1
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 5-31 23:41

thanks for your response and support DAFlys. I have done as you suggested and also read of many such cases via the internet.
2021-6-15
Use props
seanlark
lvl.1
Australia

Mullheliflier Posted at 5-30 21:57
I know how you feel. I had to dump one of mine at the weekend.

A professional videographer who did the promo video for the sale of our home recently saw my M2P batteries lying alongside the drone case when he came to my home and asked whether I was having any issue with them (before I had said anything about it). After I told him of 2 of them swelling he said he has the identical drone, uses it virtually daily due to his work, and that all 3 of his batteries have gone the same way and cannot be used. I am guessing his would be roughly the same vintage as mine i.e. just over 2 years old.
2021-6-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

seanlark Posted at 6-15 23:10
thanks for your response and support DAFlys. I have done as you suggested and also read of many such cases via the internet.

Let us know how you get on.
2021-6-15
Use props
seanlark
lvl.1
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 6-15 23:31
Let us know how you get on.

hi folks - quick update - after the intercession of DJI Susan I contacted DJI and was pleased/surprised to get a quick response and then a follow-up asking me to confirm my shipping address and to complete a Repair Request online which I did and they confirmed they'll be sending a shipping slip for the swollen batteries within days. So far so good but really pleased with some progress after all the negative vibes I had heard! Will happily confirm if I get a good outcome and my confidence in them will be restored!
2021-6-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

seanlark Posted at 6-16 17:21
hi folks - quick update - after the intercession of DJI Susan I contacted DJI and was pleased/surprised to get a quick response and then a follow-up asking me to confirm my shipping address and to complete a Repair Request online which I did and they confirmed they'll be sending a shipping slip for the swollen batteries within days. So far so good but really pleased with some progress after all the negative vibes I had heard! Will happily confirm if I get a good outcome and my confidence in them will be restored!

Fingers crossed for you.  
2021-6-16
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7956778 ft
United Kingdom

Any update on this matter? Could you post serial nos. of your bad batteries?
2021-6-26
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

I remember reading back a few years in this forum about swelling batteries and it seams that the batteries manufactured around 2018-2019 caused a lot of this problem. But for the last 6-9 month there has hardly been any of the newer batteries causing this problem that I have read about here. Knowing the serial number will tell you the manufacturing date. I have seen a place where you can input the serial number and the manufacturing date will show up. So perhaps DJI has done something to correct this problem. I have noticed that the charging is reduced towards the end of being fully charged as the power supply does not get so warm towards the end.
2021-6-27
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7956778 ft
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 6-27 00:41
I remember reading back a few years in this forum about swelling batteries and it seams that the batteries manufactured around 2018-2019 caused a lot of this problem. But for the last 6-9 month there has hardly been any of the newer batteries causing this problem that I have read about here. Knowing the serial number will tell you the manufacturing date. I have seen a place where you can input the serial number and the manufacturing date will show up. So perhaps DJI has done something to correct this problem. I have noticed that the charging is reduced towards the end of being fully charged as the power supply does not get so warm towards the end.

Thanks for that information kyalami.
2021-6-27
Use props
seanlark
lvl.1
Australia

hi folks - thanks for your support and interest and in particular assistance from DJI Susan who suggested I write directly to DJI regarding my '2019' vintage swelling batteries.

Quick update: I duly returned the batteries at DJI's request and I have today received confirmation of a coming shipment from them so assume they are replacing them which is terrific news and really a good show on their part. Also good news is that apparently the new batches don't have this issue. It must have been one or more batches around about that time that caused this issue.

Faith restored, which is nice!
2021-7-1
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

I shoot drone for a living and at one stage was going through one battery a month. You get better at managing them, especially here in the desert near Alice Springs, but I still lose about 1 every 3 months. I can write it off on the business, unfortunately not many others can.
2021-7-3
Use props
CreativeSky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have recently lost 2 Mavic batteries and an Inspire 2 battery to bloating.  
2021-7-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

seanlark Posted at 7-1 23:44
hi folks - thanks for your support and interest and in particular assistance from DJI Susan who suggested I write directly to DJI regarding my '2019' vintage swelling batteries.

Quick update: I duly returned the batteries at DJI's request and I have today received confirmation of a coming shipment from them so assume they are replacing them which is terrific news and really a good show on their part. Also good news is that apparently the new batches don't have this issue. It must have been one or more batches around about that time that caused this issue.

Thank you for your update on the case, Hope all is sorted. Any further assistance is needed, please feel free to ask.

2021-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules