Which drone (or drone software) will meet my needs?
990 6 2021-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
farmerflyer
lvl.1

United States

Hello everyone, first post on the forums. I am trying to find the least expensive DJI drone that will meet my needs.
I currently own a Holy Stone 720E. This is a feature full drone for the price point (it was about $250) when it was purchased (it is now much more expensive). But, alas, the drone does not support all of the features I need. Also, the Holy Stone 720E software is a bit less refined.

Required Features:
1. 20+ minute flight time.
2. Ability to fly to a user defined GPS coordinate (this is the feature I am having a hard time finding).
3. GPS accuracy within 1 meter. My guess is that most drones meet the criteria, but seeing as how I have only owned/used 1 drone before, I realize that I shouldn't assume this to be true. My own experiements with GPS have shown that many devices claim to have very accurate GPSs, but in reality those claims are often incorrect.
4. Less than $1000 (new or used)
5. No apple devices required (I have a windows laptop and multiple android devices).

Desired Features:
1. A way to display the current GPS accuracy.
2. Less than $500 (new or used).
3. SDK Support (I have some programming skills and I also would like the ability to use 3rd applications in the future)
4. No fancy, time consuming, or expensive FAA registration requirements (I have already registered the HS720E under the recreational exception)

Unacceptable Solutions:
1. I have seen youtube videos in which people take a photo using a Mavic Mini 2 drone and then offline pull the GPS data out of the photo's metadata. This would be too tedious for me.
2. 3rd party apps that are poorly implemented and will put my drone in danger. I am not against using a high quality 3rd party solution, but that solution would need to be well vetted and highly rated for its robustness.

The task I need the drone to be able to complete:
I own a heavily wooded property with a rectangular property line. Currently, only 2 sides of the property are fenced. Handheld GPS devices under the tree canopy are not working (those devices have very poor accuracy, greater than 3 meters, which contradicts the accuracy their software claims). I am 99% confident I can use a drone to mark my property line. Since the drone is above the tree canopy, its GPS accuracy should be quite good. The more accurate I can mark out my property line, the less trees and brush I need to clear to run my fence. The HS720E does not have a way to enter a GPS waypoint, nor does it seem to have a way to see the drone's current GPS coordinate.

2021-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi!
You might be better off posting your question in the 'products' section of this forum.
That is way more active.

https://forum.dji.com/forum-129-1.html
2021-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Only the Mini 1 meets your price/faa/sdk requirements.
2021-6-1
Use props
farmerflyer
lvl.1

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 5-31 23:50
Hi!
You might be better off posting your question in the 'products' section of this forum.
That is way more active.

OK, I did that. I'd like to delete this thread so I am not accused of crossposting, but I don't see a way to do that.
2021-6-1
Use props
farmerflyer
lvl.1

United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-1 00:18
Only the Mini 1 meets your price/faa/sdk requirements.

I thought I read that DJI GO 3/4 has some waypoint functionality. And, on Amazon it looks like I can pick up DJI drones for less than $1000 that support DJI GO 3/4, I think most if not all of those drones have a supported SDK.

For example, I see a DJI Mavic Air ($449), DJI Mavic 2 Zoom ($979), DJI Phantom 3 ($489), DJI Mavic Pro ($699). All of those are used prices.

Would one of those work?

Also, can you explain how the Mini 1 meets my needs? Do I have to use Litchi or some other 3rd party software? After reading the Litchi reviews and website I have my concerns... it looks like waypoints for the Mini 1 are not supported through their Android App and a there are a lot of complaints about people their drones going haywire while using Litchi. After watching a few youtube videos on the DJI Fly App, it looks like DJI Fly does not support waypoint of being able to travel to a specific GPS coordinate.
2021-6-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

farmerflyer Posted at 6-1 07:22
I thought I read that DJI GO 3/4 has some waypoint functionality. And, on Amazon it looks like I can pick up DJI drones for less than $1000 that support DJI GO 3/4, I think most if not all of those drones have a supported SDK.

For example, I see a DJI Mavic Air ($449), DJI Mavic 2 Zoom ($979), DJI Phantom 3 ($489), DJI Mavic Pro ($699). All of those are used prices.

Waypoints in Litchi for mini1 just got added this week.  I’d steer clear of second hand drones you never know what you’re getting.   Also be aware the older drones quite often don’t have parts available.  For example Batteries for the older models are hard to get.  
2021-6-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

farmerflyer Posted at 6-1 07:02
OK, I did that. I'd like to delete this thread so I am not accused of crossposting, but I don't see a way to do that.

You can't.
Don't bother, it will go down the line quickly!
2021-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules