Air 2S issue - flying / gimble problems
7582 15 2021-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trevor503
lvl.1

United States

I'm having an issue with a Mavic Air 2S that I recently purchased, and I was wondering if anyone knows what may be happening and/or have had the same issue. Here's the situation I'm having - the Air 2S seems to be having several issues where the camera / gimble is very unstable! In addition, when I make a slight turn left/right to change directions, it looks like something ran into the aircraft and it bounces around for a moment before getting back to normal. What's even more frustrating is that I can fly the drone forward and backward, but I cannot move left/right at all. I've been using a Mavic 2 Pro for quite some time (never had these issues with that one), and I picked this one up as a backup for if/when my Pro 2 has an issue, and because it's newer technology that I wanted to try. I'm using a DJI Smart Controller, and it was working fine initially, but it's now having these annoying issues. It has not been crashed or even lightly bumped into anything. I have only flown a few times, and I did a test with the RTH, and it was spot on - came right back to the home point within a few inches of where it started. I've been very satisfied with the photo quality, etc., and I'm looking forward to using it more, but I'm not sure why the controls are giving me issues all of the sudden. I purchased DJI Care, but I feel this is not something that insurance needs to cover, as there hasn't been any type of accident or mishap.

I have yet to try using my phone and the Air 2S controller that came with it, but I don't see why I'd need to resort to that, as I'd really like to continue using the Smart Controller.

Any input / info would be very much appreciated! I've searched the forums and YouTube, but have yet to find a solution.

2021-5-31
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Try with the Air 2S controller, see if the problems go away. If the drone has a problem this is the first line of troubleshooting. Then it could be firmware on the smart controller etc.
2021-6-1
Use props
Miguel Leitao
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1977067 ft
Portugal

There´s an option on the DJI Fly app to prevent the drone fly left or right. If its enabled you will not be able to fly sideway.

2021-6-1
Use props
trevor503
lvl.1

United States

Thanks to both of you for the replies / suggestions! I will give both of these a try soon and let you know if that helps. Thanks again!
2021-6-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there trevor503. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try doing the troubleshooting steps provided above and if the issue will still persist on your DJI Air 2S. I  I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2021-6-1
Use props
trevor503
lvl.1

United States

I went ahead and connected / used the DJI Mavic Air 2S controller, and it was able to fly normally. Switching back to the Smart Controller, it seems to be working with that one as well. However, the camera seems very unstable, and I'm not sure why this is. I've uploaded a video that gives an example of what's going on. Again, the drone has never crashed or bumped into ANYTHING, so this is very awkward. My Mavic 2 Pro has never had these issues, even after a little mishap with a tree one time. Video can be seen right here.
https://youtu.be/KT5oWCw8FG0

Any input is much appreciated! I've never had to return anything to DJI before, but if that's the case, how long does this typically take? Thanks again to everyone for the help!

2021-6-3
Use props
jmb63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

trevor503 Posted at 6-3 19:44
I went ahead and connected / used the DJI Mavic Air 2S controller, and it was able to fly normally. Switching back to the Smart Controller, it seems to be working with that one as well. However, the camera seems very unstable, and I'm not sure why this is. I've uploaded a video that gives an example of what's going on. Again, the drone has never crashed or bumped into ANYTHING, so this is very awkward. My Mavic 2 Pro has never had these issues, even after a little mishap with a tree one time. Video can be seen right here.

OK,
I will assume you removed any shipping protectors/tape from the gimbal/camera area? No filters attached?
Check to make sure that the gimbal is not bound up ( the rubber dampers that hold it to the frame) or conversely, too loose/disconnected.
Manually move the camera through its full rotation (with the drone off of course) to verify no physical binding/roughness.
Try performing an automatic gimbal calibration in the app's camera settings and then try it again.
If the camera/gimbal calibrates properly and there is no binding or looseness, I think it has a faulty gimbal and/or wire connection.

Can you bring it back to the place of purchase for an exchange?
2021-6-4
Use props
trevor503
lvl.1

United States

jmb63 Posted at 6-4 05:04
OK,
I will assume you removed any shipping protectors/tape from the gimbal/camera area? No filters attached?
Check to make sure that the gimbal is not bound up ( the rubber dampers that hold it to the frame) or conversely, too loose/disconnected.

Thanks very much for the tips, I've tried everything and it seems to have the same issue. My Mavic 2 Pro feels just like the Air 2S - gimble moves just fine, nothing obstructing it or anything like that. I'm feeling like a faulty wire/gimble connection may be the case? I spoke with Best Buy and it sounds like they're willing to exchange it, so I'm hoping a new one won't have the same issue! I'll post how that goes here. Thanks again for all the helpful tips/info, it is much appreciated!
2021-6-5
Use props
trevor503
lvl.1

United States

UPDATE - I'm pretty confident it was a hardware issue with the Air 2S that I purchased. I exchanged it for a new one, and took the exact same steps - update firmware / fly safe database, followed all the typical instructions for setup, then paired the Smart Controller, and it works perfect now, nice and stable, no troubles whatsoever. Thanks again for all the help and tips with troubleshooting, and I'm glad it just took a quick return to get it back up and running. Happy to have it up and running the way it should be!
2021-6-5
Use props
djiuser_KrfSHbPG4SlE
New

United States

I am having the same issue.  Gimbal stuck warning and even on cinema mode, when I turn left or right the camera shakes as well.
2021-8-1
Use props
MENDILHAMZA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21243 ft
Algeria

Hello,  it may seem stupid but when i receive my drone the FPV gimbal mode was enabled, and it look like the gimbal was shaking when the drone turn right or left (sideways flight disabled). i just put it back to normal gimbal mode (the follow mode)
2021-9-28
Use props
djiuser_daKnpzK91UJ9
New

Germany

trevor503 Posted at 2021-6-3 19:44
https://youtu.be/KT5oWCw8FG0

I have the same problem was there no other way to fix it because i don’t want to replace my drone
2022-5-8
Use props
sduck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

djiuser_daKnpzK91UJ9 Posted at 5-8 01:17
I have the same problem was there no other way to fix it because i don’t want to replace my drone

If you're having the same issue as the video the OP posted, there's no easy fix, as there's obviously something wrong physically with the drone/gimbal. Return it.
2022-5-8
Use props
Kopter3223
lvl.2
Flight distance : 320715 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Quite the same here.
What I can see physically on my gimbal, is a mechanical blocking or colliding when the gimbal looks 45° down and the drone has to do a sideway movement either due to higher winds, or simply on change of sideways flying direction.
As soon as the "lean angle" of the drone excesses a certain degrees, the gimbal collides mechanically and therefore is leaned sideways. As soon as the drones angle goes below the critical angle, the gimbal will move freely again and the pic gets stable again.
On the controller, I get overheat warnings of the gimbal motor after some time.

I made an example vid to show the issue.
It is flown in N (normal) mode, and is just going left and right again and again. The gimbal looks down about 45 degrees. See what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fboKj-i1eo

It does not look to me if anything is damaged. It looks to me like a construction fail.
Maybe there are different versions of the gimbal, and mine is of the series which collides under certain circumstances.
I had this first in March when I flew in stronger winds and the gimbal looked down ~45°.
I think I will have to contact DJI support?
2022-6-3
Use props
Kopter3223
lvl.2
Flight distance : 320715 ft
  • >>>
Austria

In the meantime I Care refreshed my Air2S. The new device no longer has this issue of a mechanical blocking gimbal. Now everything's fine, but I would really loved to know why this gimbal issue had happened.
2022-12-8
Use props
BetterBizTech
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4502369 ft
  • >>>
United States

trevor503 Posted at 2021-6-5 15:34
Thanks very much for the tips, I've tried everything and it seems to have the same issue. My Mavic 2 Pro feels just like the Air 2S - gimble moves just fine, nothing obstructing it or anything like that. I'm feeling like a faulty wire/gimble connection may be the case? I spoke with Best Buy and it sounds like they're willing to exchange it, so I'm hoping a new one won't have the same issue! I'll post how that goes here. Thanks again for all the helpful tips/info, it is much appreciated!

I have the same problem sporadically with my gimbal lately.  When I move to the side it gets unstable. Have you tried recalibrating the gimbal?
2023-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules