DJI Fly for Android - A reason not to buy any DJI Dron
1434 17 2021-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
petekaner
lvl.1
Spain

Hi,

Probably as many of you I  bought a DJI Dron (in my case Mini 2) and found out that I can not install the DJI Fly app. After that I checked that there's a list of compatible mobiles and my mobile is not on it.

I have a bit old phone (motorola G6) so I though OK, time to buy a new phone (not very happy about it).

But then I started checking the list of compatible phones it just doesn't make any sense because it doesn't support many new phones (well, released in 2020) but it supports old versions of that phones, here are some examles
  • Redmi Note 8 supported... but versions 9 and 10 of Redmi Note are not. Am I supposed to buy an already two year phone?
  • Google Pixel 2, 3 and 4 supported. Not version 5. Same deal
  • Huawei p20, p30 ... not version p40

And there's the fact that the app must be downloaded from DJI website instead of play store, wich doesn't look at all.

All of this for me are reasons not to return my dji mini 2 and not to buy any dron that uses an app that is so poorly supported. I'm very dissapointed because I really wanted to have the dji mini 2 but I'm not going to buy a dron that requires either a very expensive phone or one that is outdated.

2021-6-1
Use props
DubSound
lvl.4
Flight distance : 104459 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Don't always keep this list updated. As long as the device is running 64bit version of Android and is on a relatively recent version of Android you should be good to go. The 64bit requirement is a necessity though.
Edit;

Surely if you're going to be throwing a couple hundred whatever currency you use, you'd do a bit of research on the product and if your current devices worked with it before parting with the cash. Makes for a better informed decision on purchase.. But ya know, each to their own
2021-6-1
Use props
petekaner
lvl.1
France

DubSound Posted at 6-1 23:49
DJI Don't always keep this list updated. As long as the device is running 64bit version of Android and is on a relatively recent version of Android you should be good to go. The 64bit requirement is a necessity though.
Edit;

but how do i know if my mobile is going to be compatible or not if they don't keep the list updated? When asked them directly here in the forum they always say "that phone is not supported, the supported phones are ..."
And there are quite a lot of people reporting problems with phones with 64 bit
2021-6-1
Use props
Miguel Leitao
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1977067 ft
Portugal

Why dont you post here the phone you want to buy? Even if its not on the suported list maybe someone here Will have the same phone and can tell you if its works or not.
2021-6-2
Use props
petekaner
lvl.1
France

Miguel Leitao Posted at 6-2 00:03
Why dont you post here the phone you want to buy? Even if its not on the suported list maybe someone here Will have the same phone and can tell you if its works or not.

I've done that (i was thinking maybe about the redmi note 9 or 10, note 8 is in the list) and I got an answer from the official customer support: the phone is not supported, the supported phones are ...

I have a motorola G6 and happy with it so I was thinking on buying a new version but no motorola phone is supported

2021-6-2
Use props
Miguel Leitao
lvl.4
Portugal

petekaner Posted at 6-2 00:08
I've done that (i was thinking maybe about the redmi note 9 or 10, note 8 is in the list) and I got an answer from the official customer support: the phone is not supported, the supported phones are ...

I have a motorola G6 and happy with it so I was thinking on buying a new version but no motorola phone is supported

If its not on the list they allways say its not supported, but even then it can work.Just to give you an example i have a Samsung Tablet S5E its not on the list and DJY Fly app works on it. Im using it with an Note 10+, but im expeting a tablet support for the remote control. Once it arrives i will start use my TAB S5E.
2021-6-2
Use props
petekaner
lvl.1
France

Miguel Leitao Posted at 6-2 00:19
If its not on the list they allways say its not supported, but even then it can work.Just to give you an example i have a Samsung Tablet S5E its not on the list and DJY Fly app works on it. Im using it with an Note 10+, but im expeting a tablet support for the remote control. Once he arrives i will start use my TAB S5E.

but i don't want to take the chance to buy a new phone just to find out that the app doesn't work... DJI should be way more clear about what are the requirements for the app and just say "that phone is not supported"
btw, greetings from Galicia!
2021-6-2
Use props
DubSound
lvl.4
Flight distance : 104459 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

petekaner Posted at 6-2 01:06
but i don't want to take the chance to buy a new phone just to find out that the app doesn't work... DJI should be way more clear about what are the requirements for the app and just say "that phone is not supported"
btw, greetings from Galicia!

Go fly some Hubsan trash then
2021-6-2
Use props
petekaner
lvl.1
France

DubSound Posted at 6-2 01:08
Go fly some Hubsan trash then

most likely im going to have to wait until dji gives some proper support to android phones, that is publishing the app in the play store and come up with some general requirements (64 bit, android 10) instead of a list of phones
2021-6-2
Use props
Miguel Leitao
lvl.4
Portugal

petekaner Posted at 6-2 01:15
most likely im going to have to wait until dji gives some proper support to android phones, that is publishing the app in the play store and come up with some general requirements (64 bit, android 10) instead of a list of phones

Taken from another forum:

aurent45 said:
Hi all
As Black Friday is approaching, I am thinking to buy a smartphone I can use with the Mini 2 & DJI Fly.
I saw in past posts that it works with the Redmi Note 8, but Xiaomi will stop upgrade for this phone at Android 10.
As I will also use that phone for work, I will have soon to use Android 11 , which supported by Redmi 9.
So I am looking for feedback of pilots using any smartphone of the Redmi 9 or Redmi Note 9 family.
Thanks in advance
I'm using note 9 love it, works flawlessly.
Ya have same phone and it works perfect. Very capable phone for the price. Same spec as iphone 11 for third of the price
2021-6-2
Use props
petekaner
lvl.1
Spain

Miguel Leitao Posted at 6-2 01:30
Taken from another forum:

aurent45 said:

Im going to give it a try with a motorola g 5g: android 10, 6gb of ram bla bla. Should be more than enough.
2021-6-2
Use props
Pappy3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

petekaner Posted at 6-1 23:55
but how do i know if my mobile is going to be compatible or not if they don't keep the list updated? When asked them directly here in the forum they always say "that phone is not supported, the supported phones are ..."
And there are quite a lot of people reporting problems with phones with 64 bit

Here's a list of compatible devices for the Fly app submitted by users, so you know it will work.

https://cultofdrone.com/dji-fly-compatible-device/
2021-6-2
Use props
petekaner
lvl.1
Spain

Pappy3 Posted at 6-2 16:35
Here's a list of compatible devices for the Fly app submitted by users, so you know it will work.

https://cultofdrone.com/dji-fly-compatible-device/

thanks, that's very useful. something that should be done by DJI btw
2021-6-2
Use props
Conn Seannery
lvl.1

United States

Another issue is with the Smart Controller. I (and others) seem to have major problems running Fly on the Smart RC. Lots of lagging, etc.
2021-6-3
Use props
V.Srini
New

Japan

Hopefully DJI will include live streaming soon in the next update.
2021-6-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, petekaner. Thanks for reaching out! Currently, the list included in the DJI Fly download link: https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly are the ones that we have tested so far and recommended to be used. We appreciate your feedback regarding the current list and have this forwarded to our assigned team. We hope that the list could be updated and more mobile devices can be added as development continues.
2021-6-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

V.Srini Posted at 6-3 16:57
Hopefully DJI will include live streaming soon in the next update.

Hi, V.Srini. This is currently not available but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product.
2021-6-5
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-5 23:27
Hi, V.Srini. This is currently not available but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product.

IS DJI SMART CONTROLLER FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH DJI FLY ????

I save your time and say : NO !!!
Is full of bugs, also Custom Mode sticks is a mess !

You DJI have fkd up your own product that does not work properly ! How did you "succeded" this ?
2021-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules