Is my sensor defective? #DARK_SPOT
749 12 2021-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike90210
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1183556 ft
United States

I fly alot over water so I assumed the dark spot was a water droplet.

It happened several flights in a row and I kept meaning to use a shammy and cleaner to clean the clear ND filter.

I just cleaned it, pointed the drone at my kitchen cabinet and it's still there.

So, I removed the ND filter and it's still there, in the exact same spot !!

I used a shammy and cleaner on the lense itself and it's still there.

What should I do??

from camera.jpg

down bridge.jpg

water.jpg

I'm so sad - I got some epic footage tonight and much of it is unusable because of this.

Please advise,
Thanks,
Mike

from camera.jpg
2021-6-1
Use props
sduck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

That looks like what a spot of dust on the sensor looks like. I get those on my interchangeable lens cameras sometimes, but they're cleanable.
2021-6-1
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Can the camera on my Air 2S be cleaned by me or will this require DJI service?
2021-6-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Mike, sorry to read about the issue, if you have tried to clean the lens but the spot is still there, you are suggested to send the drone back for service.
Please fill out the online repair request on our official web and send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
We will do our best to help this out.
2021-6-1
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

What is the typical turn-a-round time for me being without it?

Do I get the same drone back?

I'm in Pennsylvania USA

Thx
Mike
2021-6-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Mike90210 Posted at 6-1 19:20
What is the typical turn-a-round time for me being without it?

Do I get the same drone back?

Hi, it takes approx. 5-7 business days to service your product after arriving at the DJI Service Center. You will receive an email notification after each step of the service process is complete.
The drone may be repaired or replaced, rest assured, the performance will be guaranteed.
2021-6-1
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Thanks.

Last question: Is there NO WAY I can clean the dust off the sensor?
2021-6-2
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

No chance a can of compressed air could clear it?  

After all, dust got in so it can't be a completely closed system
2021-6-2
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

DJI Care Refresh Express vs regular for Dust on Sensor

It seems as though there's dust inside the camera (on the sensor) on my one month old Air 2s. (dark spot in same location on all photos).

I was told to send it in for service.

I have DJI Care Refresh.

Questions:

1) Would Dust on Sensor be covered under the warranty?
2) Do I pay to ship it to DJI and they pay to ship it back?
3) I was prompted if I wanted DJI Care Refresh Express or regular DJI Care Refresh.  If I go for the express, by definition, does that mean I'm not getting my same drone back?
4) Though I'm anxious to get flying once again, any thoughts on Express vs. Regular?
5) Any tips of things I should do / not do during this process?

Thanks for any thoughts and experiences.

-Mike

from camera.jpg
2021-6-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Mike90210 Posted at 6-2 12:33
It seems as though there's dust inside the camera (on the sensor) on my one month old Air 2s. (dark spot in same location on all photos).

I was told to send it in for service.

Just to verify, have you checked the original photos in your SD card or internal storage? Do all the original photos have the same issue or not?

For your questions:
1) Our team will diagnosis it carefully after receiving the package, if it is a warranty issue, it will be free serviced under the warranty.
2) After creating a case, there will be a UPS shipping label sent to your email depends on your delivery address. Then you can follow up on the steps and send the package in. If it is a warranty case and you are located in the United States, DJI will cover both of (to&back) the shipping fees.
3) Yes, for the DJI Care Refresh Express, after accepting your request and receiving your original product, we will ship out the replacement product to you as soon as possible.
4) For your situation, it is recommended to create a regular repair case, after receiving the quotation, you can decide whether to use DJI Care or not.
5) After receiving a shipping label, please follow up on the guidance to ship the package in.
If there are any other concerns, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.
2021-6-2
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

It's a spot of dust in the sensor, I have the same problem, although mine is a bit smaller, but also on the lower right corner, feel welcome to the club XD

I just post-process it whenever it's visible. You can use one of the photos of the wall to paint an accurate mask and then just brighten the area a bit, as the spot won't move it's quite easy to do.

On the video side is more annoying, but it can also be post processed.

Theoretically if it's simmilar to the Mavic 2 camera, you can open the sensor from the back and clean it, but you'll lose the warranty and you won't be able to reinstall it parallel to the image plane again, it will always be a slight difference (It's screwed I think, so tension on the screws will affect the position of the sensor), and thus you'll get focus problems on the image. Another "solution" is change the gimball/camera, and that is what DJI will make if you send the drone for repairs I suppose.

I didn't send the drone just for the spot of dust, because It will probably be like a month without the drone and they don't tell you in advance if you'll have to pay or not, so I just prefer to post-process it for the moment, but if more dust comes in the sensor (specially in the center area of the image) I'll just use the warranty and return the drone to the dealer, sensor should be dustproof, as it can't be cleaned at all (unlike all DSLRs with interchangeable lenses).

Just hope Dji makes their sensors easier to clean or trully dustproof.

2021-6-3
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Thanks @Huginn.   Ironically, last month I sold my mini 2 thinking owning 2 drones was a bit extravagant.  Wish I still had it because I'm super into droning (2 months into this great hobby) and the weather is great. It makes me sad to be without it

I think I'll take the time to perfect my video editing skills using all the great footage I already shot with the 2s !!

Thanks for the reply which confirms I can't simply aim a can of air at it to resolve :-)

Mike
2021-6-3
Use props
FPV_Newbie
New

Japan

dust on sensor. I would think they would replace it swiftly.
2021-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules