Little roll movements when flying
769 16 2021-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raf_IZ0QWM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1640843 ft
Italy

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've noticed, from time to time, small rolling movements as you go in a straight line in N mode.

Today I noticed that for some unknown reason, the top was glowing orange as if there was an obstacle. Which is not true of course, because I was 40m high.
The sun was to the side and was covered with white clouds.

2021-6-2
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Maybe it was the drone compensating the wind: it has no 3 axis gimbal so when it has to roll to go straight you'll see it in the video.
2021-6-2
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes I see that also, probably just part of the general instability of the drone in flight. You should see it in manual mode, if you haven’t tried it yet. Very shaky. The tune is something I hope gets improved in a FW update. Or they give us the ability to adjust the PIDs in a future update as well.
2021-6-2
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
Second Officer
Italy

Depp Posted at 6-2 09:37
Maybe it was the drone compensating the wind: it has no 3 axis gimbal so when it has to roll to go straight you'll see it in the video.

Oh no wind at all. It's the third time I saw this issue.
2021-6-2
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
Second Officer
Italy

luciens Posted at 6-2 11:03
Yes I see that also, probably just part of the general instability of the drone in flight. You should see it in manual mode, if you haven’t tried it yet. Very shaky. The tune is something I hope gets improved in a FW update. Or they give us the ability to adjust the PIDs in a future update as well.

Yes I tested in manual mode too, I would love to do a PID tuning.
2021-6-2
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Raf_IZ0QWM Posted at 6-2 11:46
Yes I tested in manual mode too, I would love to do a PID tuning.

I hope they give us PID tuning in the firmware but that may be too much to hope for. Any tightening up they do would be better than it is now, though.
2021-6-2
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2832844 ft
Italy

Hello !!

They will never allow users to do tunig PIDs and honestly they do well.

Tuning the PIDs of a drone is not for everyone and if you are not able you can do damage ...

What experience do you have with FPV builds that you demand so much for this possibility?

I have been assembling builds for 5 years and honestly I would not like to get my hands on the DJI drone .... especially for a warranty issue.
2021-6-3
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
Second Officer
Italy

Max90payneFPV Posted at 6-3 01:08
Hello !!

Yes, I know it's not for everyone, but there may be some chance to give this via DJI Assistance as an example.
I have been using dynamic models since 2005, planes, helicopters, drones and anything that could fly.
I saw the arrival of drones from the very beginning and then I work in a company that builds drones and antennas that track satellites ...
We do PID calibration every day for a lot of our equipment.

https://www.idscorporation.com/
2021-6-3
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Italy

Raf_IZ0QWM Posted at 6-3 01:21
Yes, I know it's not for everyone, but there may be some chance to give this via DJI Assistance as an example.
I have been using dynamic models since 2005, planes, helicopters, drones and anything that could fly.
I saw the arrival of drones from the very beginning and then I work in a company that builds drones and antennas that track satellites ...

Hello !!

Then you know very well that it's not for everyone to use the PIDs of a drone.

For me it would not be a problem but I repeat I cannot imagine in terms of guarantee how something like this could be feasible by the DJI .. in case of failure how should it behave?

We only hope for a firmware update for this drone because as it is set up, my build that is almost 6 years old flies better !!

Greetings
2021-6-3
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
Second Officer
Italy

Max90payneFPV Posted at 6-3 01:45
Hello !!

Yes you're right. We really don't know who bought the Drone e chiunque potrebbe andare su DJI assistance.

We will wait for an update
2021-6-3
Use props
LexRotor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504846 ft
France

Hi,
You can also try to recalibrate your RC.
2021-6-3
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Max90payneFPV Posted at 6-3 01:45
Hello !!

They could do what many helicopter gyro/autopilots do, and have a kind of "high level" PID tuning option. A couple of sliders that offer a range between something like "harder, more aggressive" and "smoother, less aggressive", or something like that for the P and D-terms, in terms of user interface, but underlyingly the adjustment to the PIDs is controlled carefully, so they can't get too far outside a safe range. And same for the I-term like "looser" to "tighter, more robotic"...

It would be a compromise in terms of how finely you could adjust the PID controller behavior, but it would be better than nothing which is what we have now.

I think it could be done that way since there are probably pilots who like the current tune and want to keep it. A safe, "dumbed down" kind of adjustment would probably work pretty good.
2021-6-3
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Italy

luciens Posted at 6-3 10:17
They could do what many helicopter gyro/autopilots do, and have a kind of "high level" PID tuning option. A couple of sliders that offer a range between something like "harder, more aggressive" and "smoother, less aggressive", or something like that for the P and D-terms, in terms of user interface, but underlyingly the adjustment to the PIDs is controlled carefully, so they can't get too far outside a safe range. And same for the I-term like "looser" to "tighter, more robotic"...

It would be a compromise in terms of how finely you could adjust the PID controller behavior, but it would be better than nothing which is what we have now.

Hello !!

Of course it would be a good compromise and in any case it would remain in safety and guarantee.

My fear is that unfortunately DJI has abandoned this drone and we who bought it simply acted as an experiment for DJI.

There are many other things to fix in this drone that I believe adjusting the PIDs is the last thing DJI is thinking about.

I repeat it seems to me there is a sense of abandonment by DJI in regards to this drone .... and it is really a shame because I like it very much anyway.
2021-6-4
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 677028 ft
United States

This is going to sound weird... but here is my observation on the little roll movements. I’ve noticed them too when straight and level, and they’re in sync with my heartbeat. It’s the goggles, and the slight movement of your cranium and blood pulse.

Do a recording when you notice it, and it won’t be there in the recorded video... as it’s very slight goggle movement.
2021-6-4
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Buster1 Posted at 6-4 05:50
This is going to sound weird... but here is my observation on the little roll movements. I’ve noticed them too when straight and level, and they’re in sync with my heartbeat. It’s the goggles, and the slight movement of your cranium and blood pulse.

Do a recording when you notice it, and it won’t be there in the recorded video... as it’s very slight goggle movement.

The way you can tell the aircraft wobble from other sources is to look at the props in the shot. Notice that the props will be pinned perfectly still against the side of the frame, but the image will be wiggling underneath them.
2021-6-4
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Max90payneFPV Posted at 6-3 01:08
Hello !!

It's fine if you have experience. I love mine as it covers all bases. You can rip it in manual mode and then do a super cinematic smooth flight in sport. Saves carrying a few kwads for different purposes. It will never replace my 5"'s or Cinewhoops but it certainly has a place and purpose in my small fleet. Thrown it about all over and no crashes yet.
2021-6-5
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Italy

CoreyB10 Posted at 6-5 22:33
It's fine if you have experience. I love mine as it covers all bases. You can rip it in manual mode and then do a super cinematic smooth flight in sport. Saves carrying a few kwads for different purposes. It will never replace my 5"'s or Cinewhoops but it certainly has a place and purpose in my small fleet. Thrown it about all over and no crashes yet.

Hello !!

I'm also loving this drone but logically it will never replace my builds on Fettec hardware to do true freestyle !!

And if we talk about cruise flight then it is perfect but not beyond ... also because for me doing two rolls at 50 meters above sea level is not freestyle ...

The fact remains that however the DJI should fix the PIDs of this drone because in manual mode they are really not optimized.

2021-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules