Marco Polo Installed
3483 11 2015-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hooks
lvl.3
Flight distance : 226450 ft
Canada

Just picked up a Marco Polo tracker with an extra reciever for my phantom 3.  I put the first one on the Inspire and now have everything in order just in case the worst happens.

Has anyone yet had the misfortune of needing to use theirs yet?  How did it work out?  I tested mine by having my GF stash the reciever somewhere in my neighborhood.  That worked fine for me.

Marco Polo Installed.JPG
Marco Polo Installed.JPG
2015-7-20
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

Yup I put one on 6 months ago, but no I haven't needed it. Check out :http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... %3D&nothumb=yes
2015-7-20
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

Has the style changed or is there more then one style?
http://www.amazon.com/Marco-Polo ... s=p_85%3A2470955011
2015-7-21
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

The problem with these trackers is that you need to be within a certain distance for the hand unit to start picking up the signal and given the sort of distances that a UAV can travel out of visual sight this particular model would seem to defeat the purpose of being able to find your aircraft if it flew off somewhere.
2015-7-21
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-7-21 20:00
There are two types.
The "pet" transponder and the "rc" transponder.
The pet version comes in a li ...

yes thank you Paul
2015-7-21
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-21 20:22
The problem with these trackers is that you need to be within a certain distance for the hand unit t ...

Agreed, much better off spending your money on the likes of a GPS RF-V16 tracker (Ebay £35) Similar fit and works superbly, currently working and using it in Spainish mountains, absolutely pin point accuracy.
2015-7-21
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-7-21 08:33
Does anyone in the UK have one?
I've been trying to find a supplier in the UK but have been unable t ...

See reply to post for GB44, much cheaper and just as effective
2015-7-21
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-7-21 08:33
Does anyone in the UK have one?
I've been trying to find a supplier in the UK but have been unable t ...

Paul, please take a look at post reply to GB44, much cheaper alternative and just as effective.
2015-7-21
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

Guess what! I just had to use my MARCO POLO RC to recover my lost drone. It detected the drone easily at 4.77 miles with LOS and an elevation advantage. The range drops off quickly with intervening obstructions, but it is still quite useful. See post " GOOD NEWS-Inspire Crashed in Mountains-Marco Polo Recovered-User Repaired"
2015-7-21
Use props
Inspire1flyer
lvl.2

United States

Rbimd Posted at 2015-7-22 04:03
Guess what! I just had to use my MARCO POLO RC to recover my lost drone. It detected the drone easil ...

That's awesome you were able to get your beloved Inspire 1 back! how much does this unit cost and what are the subscription costs per month/year?
2015-7-21
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-7-22 04:29
Thanks for the pointer, but I've already evaluated the possibility of using GPS/cellular systems a ...

Many thanks for the response, great info. My main concern is with a fly away, Inspire can cover a considerable distance on a full battery and the thought of trying to undertake a search in mountainous or forestry terrain is near impossible without GPS. You can alleviate some of the issues identified within the cheaper unit by shutting off its auto signal until you 'ping' it but as you say if you have no cellular network then you need something else. Giff Gaff Simm card runs at £5 per month for full data and voice calls, more than enough to cater for general use so more than fair in set up and running cost. Taking all that into account I fully take on board the rational in purchasing the Marco Polo, let's hope we never need it!
Cheers

Phil
2015-7-21
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

Spain

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-7-22 07:12
Hi, Phil.

An ideal system would be some kind of mix between the two.

Paul
All points covered! I must admit that putting another machine in the air so as to pick up the signal is ingenious and well worth consideration. The recommendation for the more simpler Cellular system came via two independent and well established UK DJI suppliers but I take on board what you say and nay in future decide upon the likes of the Marco Polo. Please keep me in the loop and let me know how you fare.
Cheers

Phil
2015-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules