When Can We Expect A Fix For The Smart Controller Issues?
12Next >
1638 40 2021-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422549 ft
United States

Since the other thread has devolved to a point that it's no longer about getting a fix for the Smart Controller I thought I'd start a new one.  Can someone from DJI please advise as to when we can expect a fix for the widely-known issues experienced by Smart Controller users flying the Air 2S?
2021-6-4
Use props
DaanFPV
lvl.1

Netherlands

I heard from a dealer in the Netherlands that there is likely to be a new Smart RC with the Mavic "3" in a few months. Maybe DJI is concentrating on that?
2021-6-4
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2021-6-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI is eerily quite on this issue Chuck.  Appears fix is not a high priority.
2021-6-5
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

DaanFPV Posted at 6-4 16:45
I heard from a dealer in the Netherlands that there is likely to be a new Smart RC with the Mavic "3" in a few months. Maybe DJI is concentrating on that?

A new updated Smart Controller with the MP3 would be great however that doesn’t help those of us having issues with the existing Smart Controller. I bought mine less than two moths ago and it’s absolutely worthless at this point. I had no issues with it prior to the Fly app update to version 1.4.2.  That being said these issues should be easily fixed with an update to the Fly app.  Why is nobody from DJI responding to this thread?
2021-6-5
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1059072 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can easily go back to 1.4.0 which works fine. 1.4.2 is a disaster. It is just a software issue.
2021-6-5
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chuck Campfield Posted at 6-5 07:01
A new updated Smart Controller with the MP3 would be great however that doesn’t help those of us having issues with the existing Smart Controller. I bought mine less than two moths ago and it’s absolutely worthless at this point. I had no issues with it prior to the Fly app update to version 1.4.2.  That being said these issues should be easily fixed with an update to the Fly app.  Why is nobody from DJI responding to this thread?

It would be great if DJI would respond.  Because of the posts here and the lack of DJI response, I am concerned that the SC may not be safe to use.  
2021-6-5
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-5 07:34
You can easily go back to 1.4.0 which works fine. 1.4.2 is a disaster. It is just a software issue.

Any chance there’s a tutorial available showing how to downgrade to 1.4.0?
2021-6-5
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

Spazoo Posted at 6-5 07:46
It would be great if DJI would respond.  Because of the posts here and the lack of DJI response, I am concerned that the SC may not be safe to use.

The SC is definitely not safe to use with the Air 2S and version 1.4.2 of the Fly app.  It’s very dangerous as is and DJI really needs to address this issue with another update. It’s clearly a software issue as I had no problems with the SC prior to updating the Fly app to 1.4.2.
2021-6-5
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2021-6-5
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Chuck Campfield Posted at 6-5 07:50
Any chance there’s a tutorial available showing how to downgrade to 1.4.0?

It's easy. Go to settings on your SC..then apps. In the upper right of the screen there is an icon that indicates more (some dots). Their you will see an option to remove 1.4.2. It will be replaced by 1.4.0.

Despite some reports to the contrary, 1.4.0 has worked without incident for me in about 20+ flights.
2021-6-5
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-5 08:42
It's easy. Go to settings on your SC..then apps. In the upper right of the screen there is an icon that indicates more (some dots). Their you will see an option to remove 1.4.2. It will be replaced by 1.4.0.

Despite some reports to the contrary, 1.4.0 has worked without incident for me in about 20+ flights.

Thanks,  I’ll give that a try.  Hopefully someone from DJI will address this issue soon so we’re not relegated to using older software just to get the Smart Controller working.
2021-6-5
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Chuck Campfield Posted at 6-5 09:42
Thanks,  I’ll give that a try.  Hopefully someone from DJI will address this issue soon so we’re not relegated to using older software just to get the Smart Controller working.

Agreed... and I'm rather shocked my SC keeps telling me to upgrade to a version that doesn't work. It just screws other users who will have problems..
2021-6-5
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

NGC Posted at 6-5 07:54
Henrik still had issues on his channel after downgrading. So do other people I know. Also- not a good thing to have to use “older software” to “attempt” to get it to work.

I honestly feel horrible for the people who invested $800 in a device that’s now rapidly being made obsolete. I loved mine when I had the M2Pro. Now using the flawless “regular” controller with the 2S but will buy a new-updated Smart RC when it comes out with the 3.

I did see that he still had issues after downgrading. I know I didn’t have any problems until I upgraded to 1.4.2 so hopefully going back to 1.4.0 will work. It’s worth a try since it seems that DJI is choosing to ignore all these complaints about the Smart Controller issues with 1.4.2 of the Fly app.  
2021-6-5
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2021-6-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Chuck Campfield Posted at 6-5 09:42

Its unlikely anyone from dji will come here to tell you what went wrong or when it will be fixed, they may come on and give you the usual bot answer that they will forward your complaint to their engineers.
If they feel there is a problem it will get sorted in an update hopefully.

But while you wait no harm trying to go back , nothing to lose and its easy to revert back to latest update.
2021-6-5
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-5 08:42
It's easy. Go to settings on your SC..then apps. In the upper right of the screen there is an icon that indicates more (some dots). Their you will see an option to remove 1.4.2. It will be replaced by 1.4.0.

Is this the right screen?  Do I just tap the "DISABLE" button or am I on the wrong screen?

2021-6-5
Use props
BalooDK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 684501 ft
Denmark

Press the 3 dots in upper right corner
2021-6-5
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yes. it's the 3 vertical dots... you'll have the option to delete it and go back to 1.4.0.
2021-6-5
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-5 12:49
Yes. it's the 3 vertical dots... you'll have the option to delete it and go back to 1.4.0.

Thanks for the help!  I'm now back to 1.4.0.   I'll report the results here once I have a chance to fly, it's stormy out today and calling for rain tomorrow but I'll post the results as soon as I can.

2021-6-5
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Does 1.4.0 works with A2S?
Does 1.4.0 have the CUSTOM MODE sticks working? As now they have not fixed the bug...

ALSO IF YOU DEFINE THE CUSTOM MODE IN DJI GO4, ALL THE CONTROLS WILL BE INVERSED !!!!! BE EXTRA CAREFULL !!!!!
2021-6-6
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2021-6-6
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

NGC Posted at 6-6 11:30
Whoa. I guess they do not do any type of testing on these things before releasing the software. Wow.

That's a bit harsh. As a professional who has supervised big software rollouts there are always bugs. Recent Microsoft updates wiped out the ability to print for hundreds of thousands of customers. They have a really big software testing staff. We're all patient. 1.4.0 is working just fine. I'm sure DJI is aware of the problems, I've even submitted detailed notes to them.
2021-6-6
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

NGC Posted at 6-5 09:50
Can you update the thread and let everyone know if it works? It certainly would be good info for the folks who have it. Right now, I think all would agree - the "Smart RC" is simply just not a good purchase given its age, the issues, etc.

I flew 6 batteries today running v1.4.0 and there is still a noticeable lag in the video feed to the Smart Controller.  That being said, the screen did not "freeze up" or go to a "black screen" as it was consistently doing running v1.4.2.  So, although the experience still isn't what it should be running v1.4.0, it is far better than v1.4.2.  I would highly recommend reverting back to v1.4.0 of the Fly app until DJI gets this sorted out.
2021-6-7
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2021-6-7
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

NGC Posted at 6-7 12:57
I’m glad it’s not blacking out at least. Sorry about the lag- that sucks. I fear that the only way this is going to get “sorted out” is essentially a new Smart RC in a couple months- with a Mavic 3.
People should be advised that it’s a very bad idea to spend that kind of money at this point in that product’s lifecycle.

You keep repeating this without evidence. It's just your opinion, which you are entitled to. I expect these are software issues. I don't see the lag between my SC and Air 2S but others do and I am sure they are seeing it. On the other hand, according to many reports, the Air 2 worked fine with the controller, and despite your constant ranting about how out of date it is... I fully expect it can work fine with some software updates. There is no evidence a new controller is coming, although it's always possible.

Suggest we wait and see what fixes DJI applies, then decide if the SC is not up to the task. Personally, I would not go back to the standard controller unless I had to. I fly almost every day with the Air 2S and the SC. No incidents or complaints so far. That's not to say others aren't seeing things, but everyone is flying in a different location, and electronic environment. Hopefully, DJI has the fix under way. If I start seeing a lot of problems I'll eBay the controller, as other DJI Drone owners would love one. But I think it will be fixed,  and I think it is software issues. Not the first DJI has had. Or any other maker of complex systems.
2021-6-7
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2021-6-7
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

NGC Posted at 6-7 18:46
It’s clearly good advice to avoid the smart controller for any new buyer as one will be rolling the dice as to whether you will have issues or not on an $800 purchase-or whether when or if it will be “fixed”. Also paying today’s prices for something this old in its lifecycle is not a great idea. As to “electronic environment”-  it seems many of the YouTube videos aren’t in congested areas. Maybe Chuck can specify- when he was having the lag, even after downgrading, was he in a “busy electronic environment”.

Once again you demonstrate opinions without much knowledge. Many rural areas have cell towers, aircraft Nav Aids and other things... people put them there because they are rural areas. One dumb video kept testing in the same location. Maybe his SC was bad. Maybe his location was filled with interference.

Get a grip.

2021-6-7
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2021-6-8
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

NGC Posted at 6-8 05:25
If I had to predict, you likely recently made the bad decision to spend $800 on a 3 year old device nearing the end of its lifecycle.
No need to lash out at others because you made the decision to spend today’s price on 3 year old tech. I hope you don’t do that with your laptop as well ;)

Reading comprehension is not one of your skills. MINE is working fine. Your's, if you ever had one, was not. I hope you got rid of it. I very happy with mine, and it will be even better when it accepts the latest software. It's been out 24 times in the last 28 days, and I haven't had any issues. I can accept that others are. I just don't know the cause, and neither do you.

I suspect, as has been mentioned, that you are a troll who has been here under many assumed names. I wonder what your issues are?

Won't bother responding to any of your other notes, as you are uninformed and spreading mis-information. See ya.
2021-6-8
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2021-6-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-8 06:25
Reading comprehension is not one of your skills. MINE is working fine. Your's, if you ever had one, was not. I hope you got rid of it. I very happy with mine, and it will be even better when it accepts the latest software. It's been out 24 times in the last 28 days, and I haven't had any issues. I can accept that others are. I just don't know the cause, and neither do you.

I suspect, as has been mentioned, that you are a troll who has been here under many assumed names. I wonder what your issues are?

Considering he thought the SC was 32 bit and doesn’t realize, it works many craft, frees up your phone gives a much cleaner view gets you flying much quicker. He has no clue if or when a new SC will be available so advises those who want it its not worth having it. A load of clap trap. Using your phone as a device for flying a drone is a pain and constantly causes more trouble than its worth. So yes the SC is still a valid piece of equipment and one thing is for sure if there was a SC2 on the way you’d first see a price drop with SC and none so far. I have 3 craft that now use SC and its still relative can be improved and it owes me nothing from the use I got and still get out of it.
2021-6-8
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

NGC Posted at 6-8 07:05
It isn’t controversial to say that it is a bad idea to buy a 3 year old product at the end of its lifecycle for full price.

A 3 year old Intel MacBook In the box may work fine, but paying full price for it is plain dumb. Especially if, as you admit, said product doesn’t work fine for many  people.

You have NO IDEA if the product is at End of Life.
Why make baseless claims???
2021-6-8
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-8 07:58
Considering he thought the SC was 32 bit and doesn’t realize, it works many craft, frees up your phone gives a much cleaner view gets you flying much quicker. He has no clue if or when a new SC will be available so advises those who want it its not worth having it. A load of clap trap. Using your phone as a device for flying a drone is a pain and constantly causes more trouble than its worth. So yes the SC is still a valid piece of equipment and one thing is for sure if there was a SC2 on the way you’d first see a price drop with SC and none so far. I have 3 craft that now use SC and its still relative can be improved and it owes me nothing from the use I got and still get out of it.

That's a good analysis. You wonder what motivates this guy? Works for Autel maybe?
2021-6-8
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2021-6-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-8 08:33
That's a good analysis. You wonder what motivates this guy? Works for Autel maybe?

What motivates him is he’s a troll, banned last week just turns up with another account. You did meet him last week “Meanderthal”
2021-6-8
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

I started this thread because the other one had devolved to such a level that it was no longer about getting a fix for the Smart Controller and now this one has also gotten to the same point.  I'm interested in getting a fix from DJI for what was broken when they updated to v1.4.2 of the Fly app.  It's hard for DJI to take this issue seriously when they have to read through all this unproductive name-calling back and forth.  Can we try and get this tread back on track in a more constructive manner, please?
2021-6-8
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I think we are all trying, but every time we make suggestions that I hope are helpful we get trolled. I've refused to further engage with the one troll, maybe that will help. And hopefully I gave you advice that got you back into the air it seems.

2021-6-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Chuck Campfield Posted at 6-8 11:09
I started this thread because the other one had devolved to such a level that it was no longer about getting a fix for the Smart Controller and now this one has also gotten to the same point.  I'm interested in getting a fix from DJI for what was broken when they updated to v1.4.2 of the Fly app.  It's hard for DJI to take this issue seriously when they have to read through all this unproductive name-calling back and forth.  Can we try and get this tread back on track in a more constructive manner, please?

Apologies mate..
2021-6-8
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-8 12:08
I think we are all trying, but every time we make suggestions that I hope are helpful we get trolled. I've refused to further engage with the one troll, maybe that will help. And hopefully I gave you advice that got you back into the air it seems.

Yes, your advice was very helpful in reverting to 1.4.0, thank you.
2021-6-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules