IMU Issue - Horizon Problem
1210 9 2021-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
XenoTS
lvl.1
Germany

Hi,

I have my Mini 2 for 6 month. Until yesterday no problems. But now the gimbal drifts slightly (about 3-5 percent). This happens as soon as the aircraft itself is tiltet a little bit. This happen during flight and by manually tilting the drone. Fast movements are compensated by the gimbal perfectly. Problem is only if the aircraft stays tiltet (for example if there is a bit of wind.
During flight, if I rotate, the horizon changes, because of another tilt (because of other wind direction).

Any Ideas? I calibrated serveral times (IMU, Compas, Gimbal - outside, inside idfferent locations). Also manually calibrating the gimbal does not help. As soon as I rotate the aircraft I have a gimbal tilt again.

screenshot.jpg

Edit: Found a Video which explains exactly the same issue. So seems to be a common one. But did not find a solution. Any ideas?
https://youtu.be/b3q_WVQ4-Nc

cheers
Xeno

2021-6-5
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

There is no fix for this AFAIK. It appears to be a firmware issue or a hardware limitation of this model.
2021-6-5
Use props
XenoTS
lvl.1
Germany

It can't be a hardware limitation as it was ok for 6 month. Also I did no firmwareupdate recently. So also no firmware issue. I this its a calibration problem with the IMU which can not be solved by standard calibration.
2021-6-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please confirm if the aircraft experiences a hard landing before? If yes, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a full diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support. If not, please take a short video test showing the problem and upload it on Google Drive and send the link to us via DM for us to further isolate the issue. Please keep us posted. Thank you for your support!
2021-6-5
Use props
XenoTS
lvl.1
Germany

Hi DJI Paladin,

I had a landing in a tree. But nothing bad. Nothing broken. No scratches. Not even a broken prop. Motors spin perfectly fine. No vibrations. Gimbal moves freely. All perfectly fine but the horizon.
Such a small impact should not result in a malfunction. It really should not! There are a lot of videos out there reporting this issue. Are the internals of the mini 2 really this fragile? I would assume a propeller or arm breaks first and only on heavy impacts the internals should be damaged. I am a bit confused now.
BTW: Is there a way to reset the drone completly. Maybe a reset helps? But I did not find a way to reset to factory defaults.
Anyway. So should I send it in? I will contact support on monday morning.

Thank you for your response
Xeno
2021-6-6
Use props
Gif2D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 528478 ft
Romania

Try to recalibrate the gimbal on a almost-perfect horizontal surface (a board on calm water surface). Could help…
2021-6-6
Use props
XenoTS
lvl.1
Germany

Calibrated at least 30 times. Also checked level with a carpenter's level. Also checked in FPV Mode -> all good. Only in Normal Mode the horizon is off. If I correct it manually in flight it's ok as long as I do not move or change heading. I documented the problem by myself and uploaded to youtube. See here:

2021-6-6
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

It is known that this model has horizon tilt issues, especially when flying sideways with full throttle. Watch this video (not mine) and see how bad it can get:

2021-6-6
Use props
XenoTS
lvl.1
Germany

Hey Tuxtard,
can not confirm that. The first 6 month the mini 2 had perfect horizon. Much better then my old Mavic Pro Platinum.
Ok, there is a problem in sport mode going sideways. But that's another story. The issue I have is a completly other one.
cheers
Xeno
2021-6-6
Use props
XenoTS
lvl.1
Germany

Hi,
want to give some feedback to that one. I contacted DJI via chat. Good fast contact. I had to send the mini 2 in. From Germany to a repaircenter in the netherlands. Altogether (including shipping) the process took less than two weeks (most of the time was needed for shipping). I tested the received drone. Seems to be all good now. Thanks DJI.  Keep up the good work.
Xeno
2021-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules