Discharging FPV Drone Batterys without flying possi...
986 7 2021-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fellpower
lvl.1
Flight distance : 322 ft
Germany

Hey

Im an experienced modelcrafter and i have ~200 Lipo Batteries to fly all my stuff. Mostly Planes and selfmade Copters. I KNOW how they work.
So now, i have the DJI FPV Drone. Sometime, i charge the Lipos, but dont fly. so i have to discharge them, to avoid their short life, when they stored fully charged.

I KNOW, that the batteries will discharge by itself after a few days, but i dont want to do that - i want to discharge them BY MYSELF.

So my question is: Can i switch them on - and take the energy out of them - to maybe charge another Lipo, that i want to use now - or using it as a power source for charging my phones? (I know how to do it...)

Or will the intelligence in the battery gets confused about the charge level or (dis)charge cycle?

Chris

2021-6-5
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Why not give it a try and see? For discharging, the only difference from a regular lipo is a solid state switch in the positive lead. I believe it’s just an array of power transistors and that’s it. You probably don’t want to load them too heavily because of that, but otherwise it should work. I see the nominal 22-23v at the two outputs when it’s turned on so seems like it shouldn’t be a problem.
2021-6-5
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

I also think the battery can be discharged by turning on and using the power. Good luck finding a connector.
You could always cut the charge cable and add a pair of connectors to rejoin the cut when using it as a charger (I've done this myself). The charger wire has three conductors. Black and white wires are the power and a blue wire carries the data.
2021-6-5
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 677028 ft
United States

Using that power for other applications would be great, but it’s a bit like trying to get gas out of your car to run your lawnmower.

Just run the battery in the drone to ~75% and the battery will be happy there for a storage charge.
2021-6-5
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Duane Degn Posted at 6-5 14:27
I also think the battery can be discharged by turning on and using the power. Good luck finding a connector.
You could always cut the charge cable and add a pair of connectors to rejoin the cut when using it as a charger (I've done this myself). The charger wire has three conductors. Black and white wires are the power and a blue wire carries the data.

Good point about the connector. At one point, I was going to try to power my iFlight Chimera 7 with one my drone batteries, but I gave up on the project because I couldn't find connectors that would fit. EC3 banana plugs almost fit but the sockets in the battery are too shallow so the bullet won't go in far enough.

The charge cable idea is a good one but you'd probably need several plugs to accomodate all the wires lol.
2021-6-5
Use props
fellpower
lvl.1
Germany

Okay. As is see, nobody can answer me that question really.

As i said, i WOULD discharge them by myself - and i CAN build a connector (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4799923) to do that. Using a 3D Printer for the casing, and brass metal sticks for the connectors. I dont want to discharge them with 10A. Its okay, if i get 5A out of it. And doing some math - so i know, what to do.

The discharge rate is 10C - so i can get (2000mAh * 10C = 20A) 20A out of it if i want. So all is fine with my idea. And IF i get only 10A out of it, it takes only a few minutes to get it empty. If i want to save the battery life, i´ll try 5 or 10A. So its okay.

nevermind....thx for your ideas.

My question was: Can the "intelligence" of the battery going wrong or not....ill see.
2021-6-5
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fellpower Posted at 6-5 23:25
Okay. As is see, nobody can answer me that question really.

As i said, i WOULD discharge them by myself - and i CAN build a connector (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4799923) to do that. Using a 3D Printer for the casing, and brass metal sticks for the connectors. I dont want to discharge them with 10A. Its okay, if i get 5A out of it. And doing some math - so i know, what to do.

... and, report please!      
2021-6-6
Use props
fellpower
lvl.1
Germany

As i expected - it works.

Switch on the Battery, got Power on the Pins. Discharged as i wanted - one cycle counted.

Nevermind - only wanted to ask, if the internal BMS get confused - but it didnt
2021-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules