Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Smart Controller charging really slow.
6961 21 2021-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm looking for any thoughts, ideas, and best yet, solutions.

With the 5th or 6th recharging of an SC (that was purchased as a combo set with an Air 2), charging took over 5 hours.  
The SC had approx 40-50% charge when it started.  It was 'run down' to that level (as opposed to going to sleep from a higher charge).
Even though I was using the 12V 2.0a charger -that came with the new combo- the "notice" on the screen said something to the effect that it was charging slow and I should be using the charger ... that I was already using!

I tried charging with the unit on, and with it off.  The speed never changed.  I used the stock cable, and after about 2 hours wil little progress, I switched to a different cable that listed the ability for higher capacity.  That too had no noticable affect.  Of note... it operates flawlessly otherwise.  ( Any flaws are mine and mine alone! )

I've read a few threads about charging problems with the aircraft batteries, but haven't found any for the Smart Controller.  Any thoughts or ideas.
2021-6-7
Use props
Kalle2017
lvl.4
Flight distance : 987310 ft
Germany

The original USB Charger for the Smart Controller has 24W.
2021-6-7
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kalle2017 Posted at 6-7 14:14
The original USB Charger for the Smart Controller has 24W.

One charger (wall brick) that came with my combo ( box dated 3/21, shipped NEW from DJI ) doesn't indicate wattage. Only input and output voltage with the highest smart output of 12V for 2.0amp.

The other charger is the one with the pigtail-on-a-brick (with an accessory USB port) that is standard with the MA2 kit, it also does not indicate wattage for the USB.  It does list the pigtail as having a 13.2V output w/3.0 amp.

Perhaps you are speaking of the charger that comes with the stand alone purchase of the SC.

Thanks for your thoughts, however.
[EDIT: Where did you find that your charger was 24W?  And, what is the output of it?]
2021-6-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

WebParrot Posted at 6-7 15:09
One charger (wall brick) that came with my combo ( box dated 3/21, shipped NEW from DJI ) doesn't indicate wattage. Only input and output voltage with the highest smart output of 12V for 2.0amp.

The other charger is the one with the pigtail-on-a-brick (with an accessory USB port) that is standard with the MA2 kit, it also does not indicate wattage for the USB.  It does list the pigtail as having a 13.2V output w/3.0 amp.

'Only input and output voltage with the highest smart output of 12V for 2.0amp.'

That is a 24 Watt charger.
2021-6-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there WebParrot. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. There are two pairs of built-in 2500 mAh Li-ion in the DJI Smart Controller. DJI recommends to please use a DJI official USB power adapter to charge your DJI Smart Controller. If, not a USB power adapter certified FCC/CE rated 12 V/2 A is recommended. The charging time of the DJI Smart Controller is 2 hours ( using a standard USB power adapter ). Thank you.
2021-6-7
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ok?

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-7 19:40
Hello there WebParrot. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. There are two pairs of built-in 2500 mAh Li-ion in the DJI Smart Controller. DJI recommends to please use a DJI official USB power adapter to charge your DJI Smart Controller. If, not a USB power adapter certified FCC/CE rated 12 V/2 A is recommended. The charging time of the DJI Smart Controller is 2 hours ( using a standard USB power adapter ). Thank you.

Not helpful as I clearly provide that I AM using the DJI charger that came with the new aircraft.  What other advice can you provide?
Charger with MA2 SC Combo-sm.jpg
2021-6-8
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Doesn't it get irritating when a Mod / Super Mod replies with an "answer" that doesn't answer the question (regardless of how detailed you make the inquiry).  Then when you point that out, you never hear or see anything from them again?  

Off to the chat room to see if the charger is a warranty matter... geez.  

(Thought I'd share with the group first to see what everyone else has experienced...that's why I came here first.  You'd think I would learn after years of posting here.)

2021-6-9
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

WebParrot Posted at 6-9 06:59
Doesn't it get irritating when a Mod / Super Mod replies with an "answer" that doesn't answer the question (regardless of how detailed you make the inquiry).  Then when you point that out, you never hear or see anything from them again?  

Off to the chat room to see if the charger is a warranty matter... geez.  

Simple Ohm's Law, P = V x I, or Power = Voltage x Current, so this charger's output is 12V x 2A = 24W
2021-6-9
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7956778 ft
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 6-9 14:37
Simple Ohm's Law, P = V x I, or Power = Voltage x Current, so this charger's output is 12V x 2A = 24W

Exactly what I was first taught 54 years ago in basic theory in electronics.
2021-6-10
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

yogi053 Posted at 6-10 09:43
Exactly what I was first taught 54 years ago in basic theory in electronics.

LOL, 44 in my case. Pretty sure even NASA didn't have the technology at the time to make a Smart Controller
2021-6-10
Use props
fans93d6a96c
New
United States

I'm upset. My brand new smart controller has been on the DJI charging brick for 5.5 hours and has only gained 45%! What's up with that? I'm leaning towards returning my Air 2S fly more kit to the store. I understand that it's only supposed to take about 2 hours to fully charge.
2022-7-28
Use props
fans93d6a96c
New
United States

2022-7-28
Use props
DJICinBrandon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 292133 ft
United States

Did you ever get a solution? Today mine has been charging a couple hours and has made very little progress.
2023-3-25
Use props
ken1403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13719016 ft
  • >>>
United States

You must use at least 30W PD charger or larger to fast charge the SC. Using a larger wattage charger will not harm the SC as it only draws the proper wattage. Using less than 30w will charge very slowly.
2023-3-25
Use props
CHOPPERMIKE68
lvl.1
Flight distance : 271995 ft
Canada

Having same issue with a Mavic Air 2 & smart controller. Mind you the battery was fully discharged & plugging into original gear. 5 hrs now and 3 bars so far.
2023-12-22
Use props
BetterBizTech
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4502369 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the same exact issue with two different smart controllers and two different chargers. It's very frustraing.
2023-12-22
Use props
BetterBizTech
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4502369 ft
  • >>>
United States

I found that if I use a regualr cell phone charger it charges faster but only a little faster. I have been charging th smart controller overnight becuase it takes so long.
2023-12-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

CHOPPERMIKE68 Posted at 12-22 16:50
Having same issue with a Mavic Air 2 & smart controller. Mind you the battery was fully discharged & plugging into original gear. 5 hrs now and 3 bars so far.

Hi there. Sorry about the trouble. If I may ask, are you getting an error every time you charge it?

Thank you.
2023-12-22
Use props
CHOPPERMIKE68
lvl.1
Canada

Yes it is , This is the original charger It came with. DJI MAvic air 2 with smart controller & fly more combo.
Thanks for the reply
2023-12-23
Use props
CHOPPERMIKE68
lvl.1
Canada

Is there a visual indicator of the cables to tell if Im using the right one?
2023-12-23
Use props
George Kaplan
lvl.1

United States

CHOPPERMIKE68 Posted at 2023-12-23 13:56
Is there a visual indicator of the cables to tell if Im using the right one?

I’m having the same issue changing my SC RH500 using the charger and cables that came with it from  DJI.  It’s taking at least 8 hours to fully change.  I’m going with  the reason for the slow change is that the changer from DJI  is JUNK!
2-24 17:57
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

George Kaplan Posted at 2-24 17:57
I’m having the same issue changing my SC RH500 using the charger and cables that came with it from  DJI.  It’s taking at least 8 hours to fully change.  I’m going with  the reason for the slow change is that the changer from DJI  is JUNK!

Hi George. Sorry about the trouble. Are you getting an error message?

If you are using the original charger and data cable and the issue persists after reconnecting several times, please send back the charger, data cable, and the DJI Smart Controller to DJI for further inspection. You can submit a Repair Request on the DJI website or use this link: https://repair.dji.com/. The warranty can be applied depending on the assessment's outcome, including your unit's warranty period. We appreciate your patience. Have a great day ahead.
2-25 02:37
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules