Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What I learned from earning my "Fly under bridge" badge
649 18 2021-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

I feel like there's this "Fly under bridge" badge that some drone pilots like me want to earn (which you earn by flying under a big bridge). Here's what I learned from earning mine.

I thought I was flying straight under the bridge at a safe height. When I saw the video on a big monitor, I realized that I was lower and closer to the water than I probably wanted to be (still safe), and also once I got under the bridge I apparently pushed the right control stick not just forward, but forward and right. So the drone started drifting right, which I did not want or see at the time. I didn't mean to get so close to the shore. It was all good in the end - it just wasn't the perfect under bridge flight I was hoping for.

What I learned:

1. Be really careful of the right control stick going right or left when you want to go straight. It's easy for me to drift when I'm caught up in the act of flying, especially when the drone is 1000+ feet away.
2. Likewise, it's especially hard for me to judge the drone's position realtive to other objects when it's far away.

As always, fly safe.

2021-6-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Dangerly. Good day and thank you for sharing this video and your experience on this flight. Have a safe and a happy flying always.  
2021-6-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice flying and good tips!
2021-6-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    
2021-6-7
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2716936 ft
United States

Another tip might be not lingering near the metal structure or staying under the bridge for any long period of time.
2021-6-8
Use props
TomBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 913891 ft
United Kingdom

I tried that once with a used Phantom 3 and almost crashed it, it was only shortly afterwards that I discovered I had to calibrate it. I never went back though.
2021-6-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing your lessons learned.  Good reminders for all.  
2021-6-9
Use props
Frank Alonso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 785049 ft
United States

Dangerly - I try to find the lowest spot in the terrain and make a note of the altitude.  This allows me to keep a good distance from the ground/water without going too high.  I also use the cross hairs and grid lines to help with my navigation.

Thanks for sharing!
2021-6-9
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

Frank Alonso Posted at 6-9 13:17
Dangerly - I try to find the lowest spot in the terrain and make a note of the altitude.  This allows me to keep a good distance from the ground/water without going too high.  I also use the cross hairs and grid lines to help with my navigation.

Thanks for sharing!

Those are some good tips. Thank you. The altitude was actually showing as negative since I took off from quite a ways above the bridge.
2021-6-9
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

What if you went to a point on shore where you could almost land and update your home point to that spot. When you would fly over the water then 0 altitude would actually be about maybe 1-2m above the water depending on the shore location you set your home point to. Would be better than having -15m as altitude I assume cuz you won't know what the height difference is between the water and your initial take-off location.
Just an assumption btw, thinking out loud
2021-6-10
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

doglaboi Posted at 6-10 06:23
What if you went to a point on shore where you could almost land and update your home point to that spot. When you would fly over the water then 0 altitude would actually be about maybe 1-2m above the water depending on the shore location you set your home point to. Would be better than having -15m as altitude I assume cuz you won't know what the height difference is between the water and your initial take-off location.
Just an assumption btw, thinking out loud

That is some brilliant thinking out loud! I love the idea!!!
2021-6-10
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4

Suriname

Dangerly Posted at 6-10 09:15
That is some brilliant thinking out loud! I love the idea!!!

Sadly it won't really work like that. I tried that yesterday with my MA2 but the only way your new elevation would be set is if you land the drone, and relaunch. I tried setting a new homepoint but it only moved the point location, not elevation. I then landed, restarted motors and launched again and the elevation was reset to the new location.
If you're certain you can land safely at shore and then relaunch, you would have your desired elevation.....
2021-6-12
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

doglaboi Posted at 6-12 02:41
Sadly it won't really work like that. I tried that yesterday with my MA2 but the only way your new elevation would be set is if you land the drone, and relaunch. I tried setting a new homepoint but it only moved the point location, not elevation. I then landed, restarted motors and launched again and the elevation was reset to the new location.
If you're certain you can land safely at shore and then relaunch, you would have your desired elevation.....

Wow, thank you so much for reporting that information. I've never thought of trying to land over 1000 feet away and then take off again. That sounds like another badge I'd like to earn. Hopefully you wouldn't need to RTH after you land!
2021-6-12
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4

Suriname

Dangerly Posted at 6-12 07:19
Wow, thank you so much for reporting that information. I've never thought of trying to land over 1000 feet away and then take off again. That sounds like another badge I'd like to earn. Hopefully you wouldn't need to RTH after you land!

As long as the RC still has connection with the drone you could land and relaunch. Maybe if you had a spotter at the landing location it would be safer. Although you have a high-def camera at your disposal with your MA2 to checkout the surroundings before landing too.
2021-6-13
Use props
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3362310 ft
United States

This guy is really good.. I always enjoyed this tip:
2021-6-13
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4

Suriname

How do you get your drones in your profile?

2021-6-14
Use props
Photo Raptor
lvl.2

Canada

doglaboi Posted at 6-14 04:41
How do you get your drones in your profile?

[view_image]

If you register and activate them on your account they show up.

If you purchase them second hand (like I did) they do not show up sadly.
2021-6-14
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4

Suriname

Hmm, I did have a new one which I activated, but it doesn't show up either.
Oh well....
2021-6-14
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

VengefulHemi Posted at 6-13 23:49
This guy is really good.. I always enjoyed this tip: https://youtu.be/Xh6kUJ6r5V4

Wow - that is really awesome flying from this guy.
2021-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules