Why Does DJI Split Video into Clips?
7385 4 2021-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cool_Kaylee
lvl.1

United States

Because of the FAT/exFAT file system compatibility issue, not only DJI but also GoPro, Canon, Sony, etc. brand cameras, drone or camcorders will split video files into multiple clips during recording especially recording the long videos. To be more specific, the FAT32/exFAT file system prevents your DJI device from storing a single file larger than 4GB. That is to say, once your video size reaches 4GB, the FAT/exFAT file system will end the recording of the current segment and then immediately start a new one. The whole process goes with one and another, one and another, one and another... video clip until you stop the recording or your SD card uses up the storage.
Luckily, even if the video is split up, there is no frame loss. As long as you have a continuous recording, you will get a seemless playback if you add the whole playlist to a video player or get a complete video recording after merging with a video merger software like WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe.
2021-6-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Cool_Kaylee. Good day and thank you for reaching out.. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you.
2021-6-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.
2021-6-8
Use props
This-Ship
New

United States

thanks for sharing, I'd like to try the software you mentioned
2021-8-17
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

I was wondering about the same issue, and when I tried to join the clips together with general video editing programs, I noticed there was a clear "hitch" in the joined sections (the frame froze for a while and skipped forward after that, so it could be clearly seen). When I asked about it, they recommended me to use software called MP4Joiner included in a package called MP4Tools. I tried the software and after that, there were no visible hitches in the video - the resulting video movement was completely seamless. The package can be downloaded free of charge at https://www.mp4joiner.org/.

If there is no other advantage about the split video, there is at least the fact that if one of the clips gets corrupted, then at least all of the footage won't be lost (vs. if it happened to one long video file that contained everything).

Hope this helps.
2021-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules