35088 297 2021-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Spazoo Posted at 6-18 10:28
If alerting  those nearby that something is happening truly increases safety, then why limit the beeping to RTH?

It could be argued that non-RTH landings have greater risk.  Yet, no beeping.

My guess would be that DJI considers manual landing to be safer due to the pilot's attention being focused on the landing effort, thus no beeping needed to garner attention, either pilot's or those nearby.

What would be your argument that RTH landing is generally safer than manual landing?

Think about the beeping many trucks make when backing up, or the beeping forklifts make in operation.
2021-6-18
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 6-18 14:02
My guess would be that DJI considers manual landing to be safer due to the pilot's attention being focused on the landing effort, thus no beeping needed to garner attention, either pilot's or those nearby.

What would be your argument that RTH landing is generally safer than manual landing?

The truck analogy would make sense if it were the aircraft beeping, instead of the controller.  

If the beeper makes flying safer then we should be allowed to activate it at our discretion.  Other than RTH, I don’t know how to activate it.

Regarding RTH landings vs pilot controlled landings, I’ve seen plenty more things go wrong when humans are in control.  YMMV.  I’m a fan of RTH.  I use that feature quite a bit.

For the record I’m not entirely against the beeper.  I just want the ability to turn it off in cases where it is contributing nothing more than noise pollution.

2021-6-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Actually a very simple solution. Instead of gluing over or destroying the buzzer, add a switch. Cut one of the wires, extend it to a switch. Leave it on until it beeps then switch it off.
2021-6-18
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Spazoo Posted at 6-18 16:08
The truck analogy would make sense if it were the aircraft beeping, instead of the controller.  

If the beeper makes flying safer then we should be allowed to activate it at our discretion.  Other than RTH, I don’t know how to activate it.

If you could fit inside the aircraft with the controller then it would be a perfect analogy. ;)

The point I think you are maybe overlooking is that DJI apparently doesn't trust us to be a safe pilot in this scenario.  Pretty sure truck and forklift operators have no control over their beepers for the same reason. Or maybe it's the lawyer's fault, afraid of litigation when an inattentive pilot gets a buzz cut or loses an eye.

Anyway, that's the conclusion I've come to after four years of seeing the same complaints posted here and be ignored. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't much like it either, but I've accepted it.

2021-6-18
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105285 ft
Portugal

Mobilehomer Posted at 6-18 16:17
Actually a very simple solution. Instead of gluing over or destroying the buzzer, add a switch. Cut one of the wires, extend it to a switch. Leave it on until it beeps then switch it off.

Thanks for replying, your solution indeed is actually very simple. However :
- Please first read the posts,
- And watch the film about opening the controller,
- Then think again,
- Opening the housing is too difficult and damaging,
- There is no wire to cut, it is a pcb (google that) beeper,
- Where do you suggest to drill the hole for the switch you recommend ?
- Please post pictures so we can see and understand !
Regards
2021-6-19
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

- Then think again,
Regards
2021-6-19
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

- Then think again,
Regards
2021-6-19
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

I never realised how this was a problem until I had a flight in my garden to test the batteries.... It was quite late so went up to about 50m so you couldn't hear the drone and sat there taking photos and trying out Panorams and waiting for the battery to run out.

Then the low battery alert came on and I didn't realise how loud it was... Certainly enough to annoy my neightbours. I didn't want to come down quickly due to the noise of the props.. And had to choose my landing zone carefully as I had long grass.. So I had to endure the beeping for an uncomfortably long peiod..

There is simply no reason for it to be so loud.. And as others have said, we should have the ability to customize the alarm even if we have to accept liability for any damage that may occur should we miss the warning.

Also as others said, the most stressful part about this flight was to get it landed back in my garden in a relativly small space.. Adding the beep simply adds to the stress and makes the whole experience far less enjoyable...

So DJI.. Please pass our request to R&D for them to consider changing this behavour...
2021-6-19
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

Turbo1ed Posted at 6-18 07:36
RTH is basically just flying straight to your home point. Why just not abort the RTH when it has begun it's thing and just fly straight by yourself?

Although I like that during RTH we can play with the yaw and do amazing panorama shots which would take good piloting skills to do smoothly...

You assume one can orientate easily, but I can not. Then I am a fulltime bicycletraveller and am not familiar with the surroundings most of the times. So I often can not see whether I am flying "straight home". Is that me there in the darkest shadow of that parcinglot ? Is that the tree my tent is located underneath ? Or is it just one of the other 300+ trees maybe ? Etc, etc. Besides that I only have lifeview as long as I record (and the memcard is not full) and I have no location locator functioning either. Dji compatibility to android phones is rather "curious".

2021-6-19
Use props
Turbo1ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1322582 ft
Canada

Wilfried5719 Posted at 6-19 03:49
You assume one can orientate easily, but I can not. Then I am a fulltime bicycletraveller and am not familiar with the surroundings most of the times. So I often can not see whether I am flying "straight home". Is that me there in the darkest shadow of that parcinglot ? Is that the tree my tent is located underneath ? Or is it just one of the other 300+ trees maybe ? Etc, etc. Besides that I only have lifeview as long as I record (and the memcard is not full) and I have no location locator functioning either. Dji compatibility to android phones is rather "curious".

The initial phase of RTH places the drone pointing in the proper direction, I usually cancel and push the right stick forward to continue flying straight.
The distance indication tells you how far you are from the drone, once it reaches close to 0 you should at least hear the drone above your head.
If you can't see where you are, then how can you rely on RTH to not land in a nearby tree or lake? RTH is not precise enough to land exactly at the takeoff point.
2021-6-19
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

Turbo1ed Posted at 6-19 08:23
The initial phase of RTH places the drone pointing in the proper direction, I usually cancel and push the right stick forward to continue flying straight.
The distance indication tells you how far you are from the drone, once it reaches close to 0 you should at least hear the drone above your head.
If you can't see where you are, then how can you rely on RTH to not land in a nearby tree or lake? RTH is not precise enough to land exactly at the takeoff point.
RTH is extremely accurate, it lands within max 30cms. Always. Don't worry, just test it !
2021-6-19
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wilfried5719 Posted at 6-19 08:31
RTH is extremely accurate, it lands within max 30cms. Always. Don't worry, just test it !

I used RTH twice this morning.  It worked great.  
2021-6-19
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Wilfried5719 Posted at 6-17 08:06
The body does (also) have clickhooks all around, I guess at least 20 or so. What is your trick to get them all open together ? I gave up after 3 and the body then was already damaged a bit. In the meantime I completely filled the venthole with glue (ie 5 layers or so). Just put in 1 layer, turn it upside down to dry, put on the next layer etc. Then I put 5 layers of ducttape over it. That helps some 50% so 3db. Now it sounds almost acceptable (when in a rumerous situation). But a Mute is mandatory if in a more silent situation.

With a lot of feeling and a plastic lever, see video from 0:23. Gently move the lever back and forth while pushing it up. But it doesn't matter if a few clickhooks break off, there are still enough there. ;-) The oblation is worth it when you have quiet afterwards.
2021-6-19
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Beeping RTH/Battery Warning...
It's not just about RTH, but also about the 20% battery warning. I mostly hike while flying (therefore I'm using more litchi than flyapp) and I am often at the edge of the forest. This noise of torture would make me nervous, it also attracts the attention of walkers and animals in the forest. But I have to say that I never use RTH except involuntarily (lost connection). Therefore, the sound does not interfere, rather the battery warning is annoying. In the Litchi app, a friendly female voice ;-) warns from time to time via the smartphone if the battery drops below 20%. And because the sound comes from the smartphone, you can also regulate it. This kind of "warning" is 1000 times better than that terrible beep. But like I said, DJI won't do anything. So all that remains is to tape, destroy or unsolder the buzzer. This will be the first action I take on my next DJI drone (RC).

[Nonsens on]

I don't really understand why the beeeeeeeeeeeep doesn't come immediately after starting? Danger ! Risk of death ! Drone in the air! DJI please ! Make it possible, I want a beeeeeeeeeeep after taking off. For a car, it would also be a great idea if such a noise could be heard when there are only 10 liters of gasoline in the tank.

[Nonsens off]
2021-6-19
Use props
DubSound
Second Officer
Flight distance : 104459 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wilfried5719 Posted at 6-15 21:17
I tried that already but unfortunately the controller can not be disassembled without special tools. It is not assembled by screws, at least I don't find any.

This is incorrect, it uses normal Philips head screws, plastic clips and some screws are hidden. No special tools needed, just knowledge on how to disassemble.
2021-6-21
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone offer a beeper removal service?
2021-6-21
Use props
Itimpoing
New

United Kingdom

Why is this even a feature! Makes no sense
2021-6-23
Use props
djiuser_x10ajxyi3N95
New

United States

The people say no to the "beep"
2021-6-24
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

I think the buzzer would be pleased too if it could be turned off. Especially when it starts screeching and faking a sound. Does this only happen in my controller? Instinctively, I shake my controller, which makes people around me think I'm a sick madman, or maybe even a terrorist with a bomb.
2021-6-24
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 6-24 20:50
I think the buzzer would be pleased too if it could be turned off. Especially when it starts screeching and faking a sound. Does this only happen in my controller? Instinctively, I shake my controller, which makes people around me think I'm a sick madman, or maybe even a terrorist with a bomb.

I agree, a terrorist needs the best, even if just exercising. Then a countdownbeeper is already stressfull enough. I suppose this is a matter of guarantee, also if bought without invoice on the darkweb. I glued (5x) and taped (5x) the hole which damps some 50%. But some still see me as a terrorist !
2021-6-24
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

DubSound Posted at 6-21 10:02
This is incorrect, it uses normal Philips head screws, plastic clips and some screws are hidden. No special tools needed, just knowledge on how to disassemble.

It sure is a matter of knowledge ! My controller seems to have a clickhook every 1cm all around. I stopped after 4cm and it already is damaged a bit. The topscrews are behind the phonerubbers that are glued to the body. One rubber teared immediately while trying to get to that screw. And most screwdrivers don't fit those microscrews, also not the dji screwdriver. I have one that fits but it took an awfull amount of force to get them to turn. Knowledge ? Yes please !
2021-6-24
Use props
fans8e299cb6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5693497 ft
United States

At least give us the option to lower the volume or disable it completely.
2021-6-25
Use props
fansa3ca2932
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1614416 ft
Russia

After the remote is disassembled: adhesive tape is useless to silence piezo buzzer, a piece of chewing gum works great!
2021-6-27
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

fansa3ca2932 Posted at 6-27 21:48
After the remote is disassembled: adhesive tape is useless to silence piezo buzzer, a piece of chewing gum works great!
[view_image]

Thanks for posting. Could you also post pictures of the other half of the housing ?! I would like to have a close look at the hooks ! In what direction do they open ? Should I push them All to the inside ?
2021-6-28
Use props
fansa3ca2932
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1614416 ft
Russia

Other half.

I followed all steps from the video above, its very helpful.
Be careful with 2 rubber holders when moving aside to reach 2 screws on top, I damaged one of them pushing too hard (see pic).

Decoupling the body is not that easy as it seems, I used plastic tool and smth like credit card moving it down from top, followed step by step by plastic tool.
After all done with the buzzer put both sides together, connect wiring, but before latching start the device and check volume level.Dont forget to have "mode" switch in correct position before final snap.

2021-6-28
Use props
rEaX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 185210 ft
Sweden

Give an option to adjust the volume from 0 to 5 or something.
2021-6-28
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Hey guys, have you ever thought about, that the beep just should keep you awake while the boaring long distance return of the drone ?
2021-6-28
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

MySky Posted at 6-28 11:15
Hey guys, have you ever thought about, that the beep just should keep you awake while the boaring long distance return of the drone ?

IMG_20210629_180500.jpg
2021-6-30
Use props
cndnrallyfan
New

Canada

jonny007 Posted at 6-16 02:26
DJI doesn't do anything. I unsoldered the disgusting buzzer on the RC of the Mini1, the Mini2 is similar. If you want to destroy the buzzer or seal it with hot glue, this is even easier with the Mini2 RC, because it can be accessed immediately after opening (see 0:50 in the video...the black round component above the sheet metal. ). With the Mini1 RC you have to loosen more connections and cables to get to the circuit board with the buzzer. Maybe https://drone-hacks.com/ is also a possibility ... if you dare ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKdMerETI1g

Thank You ! I just silenced my speaker with a chewing gum. You have to let the gum dry a little so it presses against the speaker snugly.

2021-7-14
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Why is the Beeping there in the first place??? RTH in my opinion is one of the features that people misuse quite often; and should only be used in emergency situations. Unfortunately it is also one of the features which attracted more people to get into this flying camera hobby, especially those with little or no previous experience with radio controlled model aircrafts. Learn to fly the drone properly with the sticks; do the necessary pre-flight checks, and plan your every flight; then you'll notice you hardly ever have to use RTH.
2021-7-14
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Pressing the RTH will disable the beeping.  It will also disable the RTH.
2021-7-14
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

Monkey007 Posted at 7-14 13:30
Why is the Beeping there in the first place??? RTH in my opinion is one of the features that people misuse quite often; and should only be used in emergency situations. Unfortunately it is also one of the features which attracted more people to get into this flying camera hobby, especially those with little or no previous experience with radio controlled model aircrafts. Learn to fly the drone properly with the sticks; do the necessary pre-flight checks, and plan your every flight; then you'll notice you hardly ever have to use RTH.

I disagree with you for the full 100(0) %. Besides that I find your text "somewhat" arrogant.
2021-7-14
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

Spazoo Posted at 7-14 13:33
Pressing the RTH will disable the beeping.  It will also disable the RTH.

I do not understand your comment !? Unless you mean pressing rth for the Second time ?
2021-7-14
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Monkey007 Posted at 7-14 13:30
Why is the Beeping there in the first place??? RTH in my opinion is one of the features that people misuse quite often; and should only be used in emergency situations. Unfortunately it is also one of the features which attracted more people to get into this flying camera hobby, especially those with little or no previous experience with radio controlled model aircrafts. Learn to fly the drone properly with the sticks; do the necessary pre-flight checks, and plan your every flight; then you'll notice you hardly ever have to use RTH.

It's not just about RTH but also about low battery "beeping". Would you think it would be great if your car beeps when it "only" has 10 liters of gasoline in the tank?
2021-7-15
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes gentlemen, would be nice if the low battery alarm threshold is user programmable to a lower value
2021-7-15
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

DJI, please DO NOT remove the loud beeping feature. This is a very important safety feature!! I like to fly my Mini 2 for long periods of time and this feature really help me not to forget to bring my Mini 2 home when I am many miles away from it. When the loud beeping start, ok, I know it is NOW time to fly him home quickly. Plus, it is kinda neat when I am at the park flying around many people and my remote controller start beeping loudly. All the people now realise I am lucky to have, and fly, my DJI drone. Kinda make me feel bit special. Again, DJI, would be a big mistake to remove this feature  so please don't do this !

If some crazy people are so annoy by this, then they can just wear ear plug to not hear it. Don't ruin it for the rest of us who like the loud beeping! I actually have my phone on loudest volume just so I don't forget to fly him home.

2021-7-15
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

Mini2 Flyr Posted at 7-15 05:21
DJI, please DO NOT remove the loud beeping feature. This is a very important safety feature!! I like to fly my Mini 2 for long periods of time and this feature really help me not to forget to bring my Mini 2 home when I am many miles away from it. When the loud beeping start, ok, I know it is NOW time to fly him home quickly. Plus, it is kinda neat when I am at the park flying around many people and my remote controller start beeping loudly. All the people now realise I am lucky to have, and fly, my DJI drone. Kinda make me feel bit special. Again, DJI, would be a big mistake to remove this feature  so please don't do this !

If some crazy people are so annoy by this, then they can just wear ear plug to not hear it. Don't ruin it for the rest of us who like the loud beeping! I actually have my phone on loudest volume just so I don't forget to fly him home.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
1 This post is about having a Software button which would enable (even) you to have the beeper on or off. It is not at all a request to remove anything.
2 The beeper is inside the controller. The beeping has nothing to do with the phone. Did Apple maybe tell you that ?
3 The RTH function starts Automatically per the software. So you do not have to worry about your battery since you can not even prevent (the starting of) RTH.
4 The RTH function is default. Only if you on purpose unselect the rth action (by selecting landing now or hovering now) is your own brain important.
5 However disabling the rth will bring you the golden change to test the Find my drone function.
2021-7-15
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

Mini2 Flyr Posted at 7-15 05:21

6 You obviously only fly there where you are already very familiar with the area. And never in the dark. I am a fulltime emigrant bicyclist and hardly ever fly in a known landscape. Rth is an extremly usefull function. But the beeping is attracting the very wrong audiance.
7 I can not advise you how to feel extra special being in the middle of an astonished crowd. However : do Not Land there ! Also not per rth !
8 I hereby kindly request you to not call me crazy.
2021-7-15
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

Wilfried5719 Posted at 7-15 08:47
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
1 This post is about having a Software button which would enable (even) you to have the beeper on or off. It is not at all a request to remove anything.
2 The beeper is inside the controller. The beeping has nothing to do with the phone. Did Apple maybe tell you that ?

I don't think you understand the problem here. If DJI allow users to disable the low battery function there is a very big risk that users may get distracted when flying and not fly their bird home in time, therefore resulting in losing their drone, or even worse, crashing when landing due to being out of battery. DJI do not want to be sued by some user if their drone crash or get lost due to low battery and the user not being aware of this huge risk.

Please think before you post Wilfried or if you do not fully understand, maybe read your Mini 2 manual again/or for the first time maybe, no?
2021-7-15
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI,

Disable the beep and help make the world a better place.

Thanks!!
2021-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules