Disable Beeping !
35093 297 2021-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_lAIBg6U9FlyK
New

United States

NEED MUTE FUNCTION!!!! I shoot documentary footage. My tripod camera records ever friggin beep and noise the remote makes. Or my sound guy has to stand 20 yards away, which makes it hard to work together. I shot done B camera simultaneously about half the time when out on location. But I have to spend HOURS in the edit Bay just to cleanup edit the sound and get the DJI noises removed. It is such a waste of good audio and my time\money. Please enable the ability to mute these useless beeps!!!! Please.
2022-3-21
Use props
Muddycreek
lvl.2

United States

GET RID OF THE BEEPING   
2022-3-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Wilfried5719 Posted at 3-17 04:58
It is (was) screeming like Hell (like the beeper of a TRUCK driving rearwards, until I disabled it some months ago pfuh). As it is with hundreds of other peoples controller. Why do you guess that this post has so many responses ? I bought my set december 2020 and maybe you have a newer version and did DJI something about the terrible beeping. Without publishing that. It is totally unnatural to have a beeper beeping continously for all the time during any action. It nerves, sucks, attracts unwanted attention and "eats" the wanted attention, namely your own to concentrate on the flying. Would be very nice to find out about a beeper-volume-difference between your first-flight-controller and an older one.

There are reasons for the beeping, not all of then necessary, but some are. Low battery A couple of beeps to remind is sufficient. But critical battery rth beeping should continue until craft has landed. I realize the mini is small and may not do as much damage as bigger more powerful craft. But in critical RTH the operator is no longer in full control of his drone, and those around the landing area need to be warned that a drone will be landing in their vicinity no longer under the control of the operator , this also helps operator to alert those who need to move so craft can land safely and to get children animals etc under control. No one wants to see a drone fall on someone’s head or an animal to jump up and get hurt from spinning props etc. we don’t seem to mind the extremely loud sound of Ambulance Fire brigades warning people of the danger. Or trucks reversing with very loud continuous beeping, when our seat belt beeps we are warned to put it on and it will keep beeping until we do. So although normal rth should have separate setting as does the M2 to either leave on or turn off. This rth the operator is in control and can take over at any time. But critical battery is different and should be treated different. So disabling for your own selfishness is just that selfish and shows total disregard for others particularly those who are completely unaware of what’s going on around them.
And believe me I know it's unpopular to put safety ahead of peoples enjoyment, but that does nothing for the plight of professionals hobbyists and enthusiasts flying their drones.
2022-3-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Landey Posted at 3-15 00:28
Info: I opened a second thread dealing with this problem - with a quite aggressive title for highlighting the importance of getting rid of this dangerous annoyance.
It really is dangerous as it raises your stress level, impairs your hearing and attracts bystanders - with NO practical benefits at all.

You say there is no reason, for the beeping, I beg to differ. while I agree you should have a choice when in normal rth (not loss of signal), because you still have full control over your drone. But critical battery rth means simply there is a drone in the area rth no longer under full  control of the operator. So just like a truck reversing or an ambulance driving fast to get to an emergency or a fire brigade in a hurry to get to a fire, all of these vehicles let out extremely loud warning sounds to keep all those in their vicinity safe. But you on the other hand who have already allowed your drone to go to critical battery are somehow worried about yourself first, its raising your stress levels impairing your hearing attracting crowds and embarrassing you.

But how would you feel if your drone ran out of battery over head of landing dropped on a child’s head, yes its not going to kill them , but it’s guaranteed that it will cause a lot more damage than upping your stress levels.

So what is the beeping for on critical battery. 1 it lets you know you no longer have full control of the drone, it alerts those around you that something is afoot and gives you time to clear landing and tell those around that a drone is coming into land no longer under your control to keep clear and be careful with animals in case they try jumping at the drone. You only need to tell a couple they will inform others very quickly. And yes I know a lot of fuss for a tiny drone. But this drone can do serious damage particularly if it was to get anywhere near a child’s eyes. Sort of better safe than sorry.

So as it stands you 99% of the time can fully control the beeping 1 learn to fly home yourself. 2/ don’t allow the drone to go to critical battery and you won’t hear any beeping.

I’m ok with dji changing normal rth beeping to let drone beep for a couple of seconds and then option if the operator chooses to switch off as the drone returns. But critical battery where operator has lost full control this should be seen as a totally different matter. And its plain wrong to say people just gather round at the sound of the beeping. What actually happens is people gather to find out what’s wrong and why the warning beeping, and your job as responsible pilot is to inform them of what’s going on.

Yes its a mini, can you imagine someone walking under an inspire as it drops out of the sky because it ran out of battery and there was no warning because the operator was afraid he might get stressed.

When your drone is beeping no need to stress its flying home on its own will almost certainly land without fuss, a lot more stress when some body who cannot fly is trying this manoeuvre themselves.

And always remember 99% of the time the operator is in control of the beeping , blame him if it goes off…

2022-3-21
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

If the aircraft does not have enough battery to RTH and instead decides to land in a crowd of people then a beeping controller is not going to help.  If DJI intend as a safety measure then beeper should be on aircraft.

Personally I do not need beeper on either.  I would appreciate an option to disable.

2022-3-21
Use props
OneSnark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 652231 ft
United States

Spazoo Posted at 3-21 18:09
If the aircraft does not have enough battery to RTH and instead decides to land in a crowd of people then a beeping controller is not going to help.  If DJI intend as a safety measure then beeper should be on aircraft.

Well said!

If you want to warn OTHERS, then the DRONE needs to beep. . .not the operator.

I for one hate the senseless beeping. . . it should have an acknowledge button.
SURE. . if you are not paying attention. . . beep until you pay attention. Then shutup!  I would also beep on "degraded signal" or "High wind".  These are important things to know.

For me, I get the drone back close when I reach 40% or so.   Then, below 30% - - -I pretty much am just zipping around where I am standing playing with the controls (i.e. not high. . not far away. . . .nothing serious as I just drain the battery down to dust flying in small circles).  I don't need to be beeped at when I am hovering at 15% power 10' in front of me.  
2022-3-21
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 3-21 17:18
You say there is no reason, for the beeping, I beg to differ. while I agree you should have a choice when in normal rth (not loss of signal), because you still have full control over your drone. But critical battery rth means simply there is a drone in the area rth no longer under full  control of the operator. So just like a truck reversing or an ambulance driving fast to get to an emergency or a fire brigade in a hurry to get to a fire, all of these vehicles let out extremely loud warning sounds to keep all those in their vicinity safe. But you on the other hand who have already allowed your drone to go to critical battery are somehow worried about yourself first, its raising your stress levels impairing your hearing attracting crowds and embarrassing you.

But how would you feel if your drone ran out of battery over head of landing dropped on a child’s head, yes its not going to kill them , but it’s guaranteed that it will cause a lot more damage than upping your stress levels.

Note: This is a reply I wrote in the other thread - I now just paste it.
---
Hi Captain! ;)

According to the icons you don't own a Mini 2. So are you sure you know about the havoc the Mini 2 controller really wreaks?

First of all, please don't play the emotion card. In the other thread you also talk about the eyesight of children endangered by the propellers.
We all know it from our own childhood: If we brought home a catapult, a bow, an air gun - we always heard the same: "What if you shoot another child's eye out!"
And we all learned it was bogus, we never met anyone with an eye shot out. That doesn't mean it never happened, but the chances were extremely low. Such statements foster an inner fear of the addressee, also automatically put him into a defensive position, suggesting he's doing something wrong, bad and dangerous. A simple psychological trick working quite well in childhood days, because the irritating imagination of shooting an eye out sticks, and calls to taking more care. So it was a good thing. But it's just a parenting tactic targeted at little children with their sense of danger still in the development stage. Let's be clear about that. And let's be clear about talking adult to adult, agreed?
So please don't use such improper educational means of the childhood days.

Now for the matter.
Of course it's important to know that the battery is low, and of course it's important to know that the drone will come down automatically.
Of course it's important to know that the battery is low, and of course it's important to know that the drone will come down automatically.

Why did I write the same sentence thrice? Shouldn't I suppose you're clever enough to get it first time?
Of course you did. So repeating the same over and over has no positive effect at all. It's the opposite: It wastes your time and makes you feel like a) treated like an idiot, or b) reading the words of an idiot.
And that's what the constant blare from the controller also does. It repeats it's warning every single moment, a warning I understood and realized the very first time.
And it starts at 20 % battery level, regardless of the drone's distance. Nice thing because it reminds me there's not much time left for returning home and landing. I do understand that immediately, I do not need to get reminded every second.
But: If the drone is too far away from getting it home, that permablare does not help me at all. And if the drone is right in front of me, it makes no sense at all.
It's the opposite: If the drone is far away, I will seek for the best passage to return home, low and away from strong winds, maybe using groves for wind protection. I wish to be undisturbed because I need to concentrate far more than usual, risk of hitting branches or tree tops. How does PERMABLARE help in such a situation? And it's not needed at all: I know the situation, there's also screen indicators.

Similar in a situation where passer-bys get attracted by the permabeep: Your landing spot fills with people, asking questions, distracting you, also increasing the danger of hitting someone because they're just there - while they wouldn't if there wasn't that permablare.

Similar in a situation where you're completely on your own, nobody near, drone a few meters away: As soon as 20 % battery are reached, your flying fun is over - BEEP-BEEP-BEEP! There's no risk at all, you will make it safely home, you just wish to enjoy the last 20 %. You can't because your controller keeps yelling at you for no reason.

Similar if RTH is triggered: You KNOW your drone is returning. You cannot overlook the screen indicators. If it makes it home, all is fine. If it does not make it home and forcibly lands far away, your blaring controller won't warn people in the drone's vicinity. It just gets on your nerves.

So tell me where's the sense in that?

And about the ambulance sirens: What do you think - why do ambulance drivers switch off the sirens immediately if there's no imminent danger? Because sound and light distract. Drivers switch on the signals if they need to get people/cars out of the way or if they approach a crossing. That's what they're made for. For dangerous situations, not as a kind of entertainment while driving. ;)
2022-3-22
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Something more to add as it's specific to this thread - and I don't wish to skip anything.

Quote: "But in critical RTH the operator is no longer in full control of his  drone, and those around the landing area need to be warned that a drone  will be landing in their vicinity no longer under the control of the  operator, ..."
That's not true. You stay in control all the time, even in the case of a forced return. And if the landing zone is far away from your position, your blaring controller won't help at the place the drone comes down.

Quote: "... this also helps operator to alert those who need to move so  craft can land safely and to get children animals etc under control."
The operator knows the status of his drone. He got his warning, he gets several indicators on screen. He does not need to be reminded about the obvious every fracture of a second.
And how does a blaring controller help getting children or animals under control? By throwing it at them?

Quote: "No  one wants to see a drone fall on someone’s head or an animal to jump up  and get hurt from spinning props etc."
Just tell me how a blaring controller prevents a drone falling on someone's head or an animal from jumping at it?

Quote: "we don’t seem to mind the  extremely loud sound of Ambulance Fire brigades warning people of the  danger."
Because it signals deadly danger. A battery at 20 % and RTH with full control is something very different.

Quote: "Or trucks reversing with very loud continuous beeping, when our  seat belt beeps we are warned to put it on and it will keep beeping  until we do."
Or till you lift your ass up to stop that annoyance.
Serious: A truck reversing poses a deadly danger because the driver just cannot see what's happening behind the truck. So there's a real risk of rolling over someone and killing him, as this is a thing out of control of the driver. With your drone, you are in full control, and the chances of posing a deadly danger are extremely low.

Quote: "So although normal rth should have separate setting as does  the M2 to either leave on or turn off."
That's what we ask for. But DJI does not listen.

Quote: "But critical battery is different  and should be treated different."
It starts at 20 %! This might be critical if your drone is a mile away, but it isn't if it's hovering right in front of you.
And even if the drone is five miles out, the blaring won't get it back any faster or safer. It just permanently annoys and distracts you.

Quote: "So disabling for your own selfishness  is just that selfish and shows total disregard for others particularly  those who are completely unaware of what’s going on around them."
Trying to stay as much in control by not getting distracted by useless noise informing you about things you already know is your definition of selfishness?
And as others already mentioned: A blaring controller does not make anyone aware of the presence of a drone going down some miles away. And those in the drone's vicinity will hear and see it - regardless of your controller blaring or not.

In short: DJI: ONE acoustic warning is sufficient. There's also plenty of indicators on screen. So let us switch off the annoyance once we heard it
2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Landey Posted at 3-22 00:05
---
Hi Captain! ;)

First the icons tell you I owned both Mini and Mini2, so am well aware of the noise. I also said I would be in favour of normal RTH warning and the choice to switch off “because pilot is in control” not critical battery. I could post an article of a British child who lost an eye from a drone, his father responsible for it. But I won’t. I could post 100s of articles of drones falling out of the sky for lack of power. But you don’t seem to think that anyone is in danger by a falling drone, just because you’ve not heard of it before. Yes the ambulance driver can turn off the beeping and why? Because he’s in control , not like the pilot of the drone in critical battery.

I will say again the reason for the beeping is mostly in your control , particularly if you’re afraid of it. But its mostly for the benefit of others.
As someone who has flown much bigger drones I know the importance of take off and landing, both places that problems can occur and where its most likely joe public are around. Its required for some operations that I must have someone with me when taking off and landing, just to insure the safety of others and if something happens to me he can take over the responsibility. This action follows years of safety procedures set out by Aviation bodies EASA in Europe etc to insure the safety of all. And aviation’s record on safety is second to none, not because they are waiting for something to happen, but because they have long preempted accidents happening, and so it goes this is following with drones.

I trained for my commercial drone license and it was during this I learned of the need to be responsible to myself and “ALL” those around me, I learned the reason for drones warning both pilot and others. So I’m not making this up.
The drone warning at critical battery is a possible hazard to all until it lands safely on the ground. Or if the pilot chooses to have the warning sound on if the drone is on normal RTH to assist him in controlling safety at his landing spot. I have had experience of people coming up to me asking what’s up and it just requires me to say I’m trying to keep this area clear because my drone is landing and its really that simple. If I said nothing I could have people gathering on the very spot my drone is landing. So as a responsible pilot I am vocal and this is correct and people appreciate this, and they are free to ask me questions after all is safe if they are still interested.

I have noticed 90’% of your reply is about you and your concerns, this attitude is why you think this way and believe nothing will happen, because it never happened before. But that thinking goes against all avaition safety protocols.

I know this argument because Ive heard it at EASA meetings and here in Ireland at UAAI meetings, and I know the reasons for these warnings. But it is mostly agreed that under full pilot control when landing its the pilots responsibility he can have the choice beeping on to assist him “and with big drones this is a big help” or beeping off. But critical battery where pilot no longer is in control, then there shouldn’t be any choice and I believe this to be fair and responsible to both pilot and joe public.

I know but “its only a mini” well could you imagine if dji put a height restriction below other drones or capped a distance restriction or slowed the drone down to much safer levels, then we would see the threads rack up here.
You see its only a mini but it wants to play with the big boys then play “by big boy rules” ;+)

If you touch the arrow under my avatar it brings up all the drones and cameras I own . I also on a part time basis fly an M600 for a company doing on and offshore wind turbine surveying. I’m semi retired so it suits me spending time at something I call my hobby.
2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

OneSnark Posted at 3-21 21:07
Well said!

If you want to warn OTHERS, then the DRONE needs to beep. . .not the operator.

The drone is often very long distances away so beeping will only alert the birds . But the problem with the people is they are in most danger at the landing area where the pilot is, and you believe they need warning. Then why not warn them at the area of most danger.

Should the alarm go off in the middle of the fire or where it will be heard to keep most out of danger ?
2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Spazoo Posted at 3-21 18:09
If the aircraft does not have enough battery to RTH and instead decides to land in a crowd of people then a beeping controller is not going to help.  If DJI intend as a safety measure then beeper should be on aircraft.

Yes you are correct and if it is emergency landing other than its landing area it would be a good idea to add the warning also to the craft.
So you agree with the warning but you dont agree that the biggest risk is where the drone is most likely to land and forewarned is not for armed in your opinion. I don’t agree.
2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Landey Posted at 3-22 00:28
Something more to add as it's specific to this thread - and I don't wish to skip anything.

Quote: "But in critical RTH the operator is no longer in full control of his  drone, and those around the landing area need to be warned that a drone  will be landing in their vicinity no longer under the control of the  operator, ..."

Incidentally with M2P/Z it is open to the operator to turn off beeping at normal RTH set by the operator, but not at critical battery. So they could change this as they did with that drone.

I’m only guessing here but I think many many users use RTH as a mechanism for landing the drone. So beeping affects them a lot more…
2022-3-22
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 01:41
Incidentally with M2P/Z it is open to the operator to turn off beeping at normal RTH set by the operator, but not at critical battery. So they could change this as they did with that drone.

I’m only guessing here but I think many many users use RTH as a mechanism for landing the drone. So beeping affects them a lot more…

First of all: Sorry! I wasn't aware of the ">>" button to reveal your full list of drones!
But all my other arguments will stick.

I didn't say things never happened (if you read my post closely you'll find that place), but there's just nothing the blaring contributes to real-world safety as it does not inform the pilot about anything he doesn't already know - and it does not tell any bystanders anything about what's happening. Thus it's useless, nothing more than a distraction.

I second the request of other users for a warning if strong wind affects the drone - THIS is a real danger. As we know, the Mini 2 shuts off it's propellers if it's inclination exceeds a certain angle. Thus it will fall like a stone, which is a real danger - if it does that in the middle of flight (this is something I am not sure about). But in regular flight, the Mini 2 will always return to earth slowly, and you still have control, as low as the battery power might ever get.
Thus there never is an imminent danger - except if someone's trying to catch it on it's way down and hurting his fingers.
So there's nothing rectifying the constant annoyance and distraction.

And to add: Regardless if it's battery level of 20 %, RTH, forced RTH, forced landing: You cannot mute the blare in any of this situations. Might have been different in the past.
So just being able to mute that blaring would solve the problem perfectly.
2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Landey Posted at 3-22 02:03
First of all: Sorry! I wasn't aware of the ">>" button to reveal your full list of drones!
But all my other arguments will stick.

Again your post is mostly about you how it affects you. Yet the drone is now flying automatically and you out of all people don’t need to be concerned. But its usually through your actions that the drone is beeping . And flying in strong wind that will take your drone out of the sky. Well thats downright ridiculous to fly in such conditions. The wind warnings come in plenty of time to not allow this to happen. Only pilot can be responsible for flying in such wind.

You are also thinking “you only have a mini “ what damage can it do, so think about trying to get an area cleared and keep it clear for an inspire or a matrice even a phantom while you’re  on your own, try with limited control to! “actually I don’t know” what would you do? But I’ll tell you this if a kid walked under a matrice while landing you would be going to a funeral, and all because you’re stressed and embarrassed.

You can use the mini card here if you like, but they all have consequences. Apart from early drones beeping has always been there. When we hear a fire alarm and everyone is out of the building but the fire still rages “why” because nobody wants anyone near the building let alone walking into it. So the alarm stays on.

I grew up in a generation where seat belts were never worn, but through a generation and much education and beeping in my car until I safely put on my seat belt. And now people are using seat belts much safer , but the beeping isn’t going anywhere.

You keep mentioning the 20% low battery, but I have said and pointed out that I believe there should be an option to choose in that situation.
I am a bit amazed at so many who are not aware of how the drone works , what will happen in strong wind, the difference between low battery RTH and critical Battery RTH etc, and I believe this is the same with safety.
They are not bothered by fire alarms, seat belt alarms, emergency alarms etc but drone alarms should not be a thing because the pilots that don’t know about simple wind warnings are “in charge”

I know I won’t convince many, probably very few. But when the drone community turn their backs on safety matters its no wonder the public show very little trust in them. I’m speaking about all drones here not just the Mini, just like aviation safety rules apply to a Cessna the same as they do to a 747, and  similar needs should apply to drones. And its the same with all drone manufacturers I know Autel etc.

Again if he wants in almost all situations the pilot has full control over the beeping.
2022-3-22
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 02:50
Again your post is mostly about you how it affects you. Yet the drone is now flying automatically and you out of all people don’t need to be concerned. But its usually through your actions that the drone is beeping . And flying in strong wind that will take your drone out of the sky. Well thats downright ridiculous to fly in such conditions. The wind warnings come in plenty of time to not allow this to happen. Only pilot can be responsible for flying in such wind.

You are also thinking “you only have a mini “ what damage can it do, so think about trying to get an area cleared and keep it clear for an inspire or a matrice even a phantom while you’re  on your own, try with limited control to! “actually I don’t know” what would you do? But I’ll tell you this if a kid walked under a matrice while landing you would be going to a funeral, and all because you’re stressed and embarrassed.

I am sorry, hallmark007, but I need to stop taking this seriously.

Thus I just quote some of your statements and add a comment.

> Again your post is mostly about you how it affects you.
That's why so many other "pilots" share the same opinion?

> Yet the drone is now flying automatically and you out of all people don’t need to be concerned.
Who said that? Provide a quote!

> But its usually through your actions that the drone is beeping . And flying in strong wind that will take your drone out of the sky.
To be clear: We WISH there was a beep in strong wind. But there isn't.
And if the battery level reaches 20 %, the beeping starts. So just flying it inside safe parameters is causing the warning, no special pilot's actions.

> The wind warnings come in plenty of time to not allow this to happen. Only pilot can be responsible for flying in such wind.
You never heard of "gusts"? Even if you switched the map area to showing the drone's attitude, it's impossible to notice each and every gust. Thus an acoustic warning is the way to go.

> You are also thinking “you only have a mini “ what damage can it d,
Who said that? Provide a quote!

> But I’ll tell you this if a kid walked under a matrice while landing you would be going to a funeral, and all because you’re stressed and embarrassed.
The "emotion card" again. Of course it's always a kid being the casualty.
Where's the sense in such statements? Does beeping prevent anything happening under the drone, does beeping strengthen the focus on the drone?

> Apart from early drones beeping has always been there. When we hear a fire alarm and everyone is out of the building but the fire still rages “why” because nobody wants anyone near the building let alone walking into it. So the alarm stays on.
Because there is an imminent danger, same as the truck moving backwards. But a drone at 20 % battery or returning home does not pose an imminent danger as it is still under normal operating conditions with the pilot being in full control.
You're comparing apples and pears.

> You keep mentioning the 20% low battery, but I have said and pointed out that I believe there should be an option to choose in that situation.
So guess about what this thread is all about? About an option to mute that senseless blaring in non-dangerous situations. Because there is none.

> I am a bit amazed at so many who are not aware of how the drone works , what will happen in strong wind, the difference between low battery RTH and critical Battery RTH etc, and I believe this is the same with safety.
Again: Who said that? Provide a quote!
Show us exactly which statement clearly shows someone doesn't know how a drone works, what will happen in strong wind, the difference between low battery RTH and other events.
You CAN'T. So why do you try to use that as an argument?

> They are not bothered by fire alarms, seat belt alarms, emergency alarms etc but drone alarms should not be a thing because the pilots that don’t know about simple wind warnings are “in charge”
Same again. WHO said he has no idea about wind warnings? Provide a quote!

> But when the drone community turn their backs on safety matters its no wonder the public show very little trust in them.
Wishing to mute a permanent warning if the battery level reaches 20 % or if a standard RTH is triggered is turning one's back on safety matters? Are you serious?

> Again if he wants in almost all situations the pilot has full control over the beeping.
Is that a joke? We've got these situations where the annoying blaring comes up: Battery at 20 %, RTH triggered by the pilot, RTH triggered by the software, forced landing. Drone always under control, beeping never under control, no muting possible.
IF that beeping would come up in dangerous situations, it would be fully rectified and welcome. But it comes up in safe situations.
This is what this thread is about.

I expect quotes to fortify all of your allegations. Please refrain from replying if you can't provide that proof.

At present, you accuse everyone speaking up against that senselesss beeping as someone who doesn't know how drones work, not knowing what happens under strong wind, not knowing the differences of different RTH modes, not knowing about wind warnings. In short: uneducated rednecks who shouldn't fly a drone. That's pretty steep.
So provide some evidence, provide quotes proving your allegations.
2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Landey Posted at 3-22 04:22

Thus it will fall like a stone, which is a real danger - if it does that in the middle of flight (this is something I am not sure about). “Have you ever heard of gusts”
Yes they are announced with almost all weather forecasts .

“So your not sure about it”, this is one I cant be bothered but their are many more in your statement which to me is nothing but and ignorant jaundiced view. I won’t waste my time with you anymore, but to say you will waste your time on this unless you open your eyes and respect those around you. Good day
2022-3-22
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 01:28
Yes you are correct and if it is emergency landing other than its landing area it would be a good idea to add the warning also to the craft.
So you agree with the warning but you dont agree that the biggest risk is where the drone is most likely to land and forewarned is not for armed in your opinion. I don’t agree.

Few people other than DJI drone pilots understand what the beeping means.

Because it sometimes takes a minute or so for a drone to RTH,  my experience has taught me that most bystanders begin to disregard the beeping before it arrives .  Especially children.  However my neighbor's dog, and a gentleman that lives across the street from me--they continue to be annoyed until the beeping stops.  Neither of them are anywhere near my landing area.  

I can tell you with absolute certainty that throughout my many years of flying DJI drones, my beeping controller has never added to anyone's safety.  It has quite often been a nuisance.

Your mileage may vary.

2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Spazoo Posted at 3-22 07:58
Few people other than DJI drone pilots understand what the beeping means.

Because it sometimes takes a minute or so for a drone to RTH,  my experience has taught me that most bystanders begin to disregard the beeping before it arrives .  Especially children.  However my neighbor's dog, and a gentleman that lives across the street from me--they continued to be annoyed until the beeping stops.  Neither of them are anywhere near my landing area.  

Well I’m not disagreeing, but flying a matrice for a friend of mine at a local festival under SOP, because of its relatively short battery life bringing it in to land with beeping all around me the beeping did what it was supposed to do and just telling one or two that were inquisitive that the drone was coming in to land meant they could inform others to stand back , it stands almost 3 foot high and approx 5 foot wide with props spinning, this thing will cut your hand off if you get too close and although I am expected to announce it landing and take off applying for special ops I must add this beeping warning to my risk assesment. Others here balk at this , believe it serves no purpose, but I bet none of them have seen something like this to appreciate the benefits of a one man operation landing some that hugely attracts public interest.

I understand fully the annoyance of beeping I belong to a club where many members only use RTH to get the drone back. This is fine with me at one time I would have insisted they fly home themselves, even your manual a couple of years back said. “Only use rth in emergency “ but now dji have given control to those using rth so it stands to reason they should also be allowed to choose if they want to turn it off or leave it on. As I have repeated in all my posts here. But I do draw the line at stopping the beeping when critical battery initiates RTH and the operator no longer has full control of the craft. Thats my position but everyone is entitled to their own ideas. It has been discussed for man years , it is different and IMO correct on M2P/Z this could be changed, but disabling it all together would be a big mistake for both pros and hobbyists and enthusiasts. Just my opinion.
2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105285 ft
Portugal

Landey Posted at 3-22 00:28

The two most indepth and accurate replies at this "Disable Beeping" post of mine. I could not agree more with them. My controller is deadly-silent since I killed the beeper itself. That Is A Relieve !!!

2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

Landey Posted at 3-22 00:05
---
Hi Captain! ;)

The two most indepth and accurate replies at this "Disable Beeping" post  of mine. I could not agree more with them. My controller is  deadly-silent since I killed the beeper itself. That Is A Relieve !!!
2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 01:24
The drone is often very long distances away so beeping will only alert the birds . But the problem with the people is they are in most danger at the landing area where the pilot is, and you believe they need warning. Then why not warn them at the area of most danger.

Should the alarm go off in the middle of the fire or where it will be heard to keep most out of danger ?

You are misjudging the "intelligence" of 99% of the public. Anything (whatever) spectacular ATTRACTS Them. And you know that ! They all want to withness all, post all everywhere and then might loose an eye ... Being at the wrong place at the wrong beep ...
2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

Landey Posted at 3-22 04:22

Landey posted the two most indepth and accurate replies at this "Disable Beeping" post  of mine. I could not agree more with them. My controller is  deadly-silent since I killed the beeper itself. That Is A Relieve !!!
2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

Again your post is mostly about you how it affects you. Yet the drone is now flying automatically and you out of all people don’t need to be concerned. But its usually through your actions that the drone is beeping . And flying in strong wind that will take your drone out of the sky. Well thats downright ridiculous to fly in such conditions. The wind warnings come in plenty of time to not allow this to happen. Only pilot can be responsible for flying in such wind.

You are also thinking “you only have a mini “ what damage can it do, so think about trying to get an area cleared and keep it clear for an inspire or a matrice even a phantom while you’re  on your own, try with limited control to! “actually I don’t know” what would you do? But I’ll tell you this if a kid walked under a matrice while landing you would be going to a funeral, and all because you’re stressed and embarrassed.

I disagree with almost all of your theory. It is weak and incomplete on almost all aspects.
2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

I disagree with almost all of your explanations and theory. They are weak and incomplete on almost all aspects. As Landey posted very indepth and very accurate.
2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 08:25
Well I’m not disagreeing, but flying a matrice for a friend of mine at a local festival under SOP, because of its relatively short battery life bringing it in to land with beeping all around me the beeping did what it was supposed to do and just telling one or two that were inquisitive that the drone was coming in to land meant they could inform others to stand back , it stands almost 3 foot high and approx 5 foot wide with props spinning, this thing will cut your hand off if you get too close and although I am expected to announce it landing and take off applying for special ops I must add this beeping warning to my risk assesment. Others here balk at this , believe it serves no purpose, but I bet none of them have seen something like this to appreciate the benefits of a one man operation landing some that hugely attracts public interest.

I understand fully the annoyance of beeping I belong to a club where many members only use RTH to get the drone back. This is fine with me at one time I would have insisted they fly home themselves, even your manual a couple of years back said. “Only use rth in emergency “ but now dji have given control to those using rth so it stands to reason they should also be allowed to choose if they want to turn it off or leave it on. As I have repeated in all my posts here. But I do draw the line at stopping the beeping when critical battery initiates RTH and the operator no longer has full control of the craft. Thats my position but everyone is entitled to their own ideas. It has been discussed for man years , it is different and IMO correct on M2P/Z this could be changed, but disabling it all together would be a big mistake for both pros and hobbyists and enthusiasts. Just my opinion.

Spazoo is right but you (want to ?) mis his point. People are Attracted by anything "spectacular" and Then (ThereFor !) come closer. Keyword ? SelfMie ? Feesbook ? TicTecTocTac ?

2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wilfried5719 Posted at 3-22 11:13
You are misjudging the "intelligence" of 99% of the public. Anything (whatever) spectacular ATTRACTS Them. And you know that !

I don’t misjudge or or take for granted anyone. But I have experience in this field both as an enthusiast and commercial pilot. I understand fully about safety around drones . The need for it and the reasons limits are put on flying. Just because something attracts a crowd doesn’t mean we ignore their safety.

Although its popular to be for disabling the beeping on the mini forum and it has had some traction at one time on mavic 1 forum, but so far dji have resisted doing anything about it, except allowing low battery beeping to be turned off after it started its warning. Something I very much support as I have posted continually. But it seems a lot of mini users just want all beeping removed whether its a safety issue or not.

But after 6 years nothing has been done to remove beeping from dji drone and I include Autel drones because I’m familiar with them for critical RTH and it never will , because it has a purpose and a pretty good one that works. Removing beeping as a choice for low battery should be an option, because over the years dji have changed the parameters and given much more control over low battery which is now safer to allow operator this control.

It would make sense to drive this part of the beeping protest forward, rather than trying to throw out reasonable useful safety measures.

So you are wrong when you say I misjudge 99% of the public. Just like road safety insist on beeping on trucks and car manufacturers still load beeping for reminding people to put on their seat belts.
When you get into your car can you remember to put on your seat belt ? Or do you need the beeping, because its still there. Do 99% of people know to keep well away from trucks when they’re reversing “yes” so the beeping is for the 1% just like the beeping for seat belts. But how many times have you written on car manufacturers forums to remove seat belt beeping.

So I respect what you’re trying to do but I don’t agree that you are going the right way about it and I think its fairly obvious this is not going to bare any fruit.

2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wilfried5719 Posted at 3-22 11:30
I disagree with almost all of your explanations and theory. They are weak and incomplete on almost all aspects. As Landey posted very indepth and very accurate.

I don’t have any theory’s. What I’ve said is fact and the reasons for the beeping are the reasons whether you like them or not.
2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 11:55
I don’t misjudge or or take for granted anyone. But I have experience in this field both as an enthusiast and commercial pilot. I understand fully about safety around drones . The need for it and the reasons limits are put on flying. Just because something attracts a crowd doesn’t mean we ignore their safety.

Although its popular to be for disabling the beeping on the mini forum and it has had some traction at one time on mavic 1 forum, but so far dji have resisted doing anything about it, except allowing low battery beeping to be turned off after it started its warning. Something I very much support as I have posted continually. But it seems a lot of mini users just want all beeping removed whether its a safety issue or not.

"Just because something attracts a crowd doesn’t mean we ignore their safety. "
"Just like road safety insist on beeping on trucks and car manufacturers still load beeping for reminding people to put on their seat belts."

You still don't get it.
- If the beep was not there the crowd would not be there. So Stop Beeping to keep the landingspot clear.
- But as it is The Crowd in the meantime looks at what I am doing. The drone is in the meantime landing on their head.
- Trucks etc Do Not Attract crowds. Drones Do.
- Seatbelt-beepers are only there for legal reasons. People for 100% know they did not click them in.

No Beep = No crowd = No Problem (of whatsoever !)

2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wilfried5719 Posted at 3-22 12:12
"Just because something attracts a crowd doesn’t mean we ignore their safety. "
"Just like road safety insist on beeping on trucks and car manufacturers still load beeping for reminding people to put on their seat belts."

Now your being ridiculous, “the drone is landing on their head” and you are the pilot throwing a strop because of some beeping, so you cannot tell them the drone is landing. How ridiculous does that make you look.  almost everyday I fly my drone I see people. And no beeping doesn’t drive them away. Like I said the seat belt beeping and the truck beeping is for the 1% not the 99% they already know and remember to put on their seat belt. As I said this is going nowhere , being stubborn won’t help your plight and being ignorant doesn’t help anyone.
2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

djiuser_eWPz6tudhpr9 Posted at 3-14 09:41
it causes my peace maker to go off. Dji must fix this

Off or On haha ?! Maybe DJI should (in your situation) not change this ?! I suggest a new button "Activate beeper or pacemaker (Toggle)". Confirm within 10 minutes.

2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 12:25
Now your being ridiculous, “the drone is landing on their head” and you are the pilot throwing a strop because of some beeping, so you cannot tell them the drone is landing. How ridiculous does that make you look.  almost everyday I fly my drone I see people. And no beeping doesn’t drive them away. Like I said the seat belt beeping and the truck beeping is for the 1% not the 99% they already know and remember to put on their seat belt. As I said this is going nowhere , being stubborn won’t help your plight and being ignorant doesn’t help anyone.

And still2 you don't get it : You yourself are that 1% not wanting the Stop Beeping option ... All the rest (99%) does not agree with you.

2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wilfried5719 Posted at 3-22 12:34
And still2 you don't get it : You yourself are that 1% not wanting the Stop Beeping option ... All the rest (99%) does not agree with you.

Its not about wanting the beeping to stop, EASA FAA DJI and every other avaition safety group will not be happy if safety features are removed from what all these bodies now refer to as Aircraft. You come here offering “Nothing” except for your own selfish comfort a popular topic amongst some forum members , but one that has never gone anywhere and with very good reason. Good night.
2022-3-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

The only beeping I want disabled is the microwave when I am sneaking a midnight snack.
2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 12:48
Its not about wanting the beeping to stop, EASA FAA DJI and every other avaition safety group will not be happy if safety features are removed from what all these bodies now refer to as Aircraft. You come here offering “Nothing” except for your own selfish comfort a popular topic amongst some forum members , but one that has never gone anywhere and with very good reason. Good night.

Now you scare me ! I never realised that an annyoing beeper (not by me) could easily be an airplane, airglider, rocket, satellite or helicopter coming down, for ie reasons of low fuel level. Or for pilots not using there belts.

Your friends at "EASA FAA DJI and every other avaition safety group" do (according to your remark) not seem to know (realise) that the Fly-app offers (Yes !!!) the options to Descend (now) or to Hover (crash down soon) when signal lost. Far out of your control that is. Without beeping that is. That must be to not attract crowds over there. So to keep that landingzone empty and safe. Besides that the app offers the option to turn off the headlight. Which I do to not attract any crowds. During the rth procedure the app even presents Tips at the screen. "While you are waiting" as it says. Very Special Safe.

The whole beeping theory is just very weak and inaccurate as I wrote before.

Concerning your "You come here offering “Nothing” except for your own selfish comfort a popular topic amongst some forum members , but one that has never gone anywhere and with very good reason. Good night." I consider it (still) more wise to not respond on that.

Beep Beep Beep.

2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wilfried5719 Posted at 3-22 13:41
Now you scare me ! I never realised that an annyoing beeper (not by me) could easily be an airplane, airglider, rocket, satellite or helicopter coming down, for ie reasons of low fuel level. Or for pilots not using there belts.

Your friends at "EASA FAA DJI and every other avaition safety group" do (according to your remark) not seem to know (realise) that the Fly-app offers (Yes !!!) the options to Descend (now) or to Hover (crash down soon) when signal lost. Far out of your control that is. Without beeping that is. That must be to not attract crowds over there. So to keep that landingzone empty and safe. Besides that the app offers the option to turn off the headlight. Which I do to not attract any crowds. During the rth procedure the app even presents Tips at the screen. "While you are waiting" as it says. Very Special Safe.

Honestly my first language is Irish Gaelic, second English and I cannot make head nor tail what you have written. But this conversation needs to wrap up now.
2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 13:49
Honestly my first language is Irish Gaelic, second English and I cannot make head nor tail what you have written. But this conversation needs to wrap up now.

According Google Translate this is my text in Irish (they have no Gaelic option as far as I know) :

Anois tá eagla ort orm! Níor thuig mé riamh go bhféadfadh sé gur eitleán, aer faoileoir, roicéad, satailít nó héileacaptar ag titim anuas a bheadh ​​i mbeiteoir annoying (nach bhfuil agamsa), ar chúiseanna ie leibhéal íseal breosla. Nó do phíolótaí nach n-úsáideann criosanna ann.

Is cosúil nach bhfuil a fhios ag do chairde ag "EASA FAA DJI agus gach grúpa sábháilteachta eitlíochta eile" (de réir do chuid cainte) go dtugann an app Fly-app (Tá !!!) na roghanna le dul síos (anois) nó le hover (timpiste síos go luath) nuair a cailleadh comhartha. I bhfad amach ó do smacht is é sin. Gan beeping is é sin. Caithfidh gur chun gan na sluaite a mhealladh thar nais. Mar sin chun an limistéar tuirlingthe sin a choinneáil folamh agus sábháilte. Chomh maith le sin cuireann an app an rogha a mhúchadh an ceannlampa. Rud a dhéanaim chun gan na sluaite a mhealladh. Le linn an nós imeachta rth cuireann an app fiú Leideanna ar an scáileán. "Agus tú ag fanacht" mar a deir sé. An-Slán Speisialta.

Hope this helps !

2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

TonyPHX Posted at 3-22 13:07
The only beeping I want disabled is the microwave when I am sneaking a midnight snack.

Disabling a microwaves beeper is much more easy then that of a DJI-controller. Succes !
2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

TonyPHX Posted at 3-22 13:07
The only beeping I want disabled is the microwave when I am sneaking a midnight snack.

Disabling a microwaves beeper is much more easy then that of a DJI-controller. Succes !
2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wilfried5719 Posted at 3-22 13:59
According Google Translate this is my text in Irish (they have no Gaelic option as far as I know) :

Anois tá eagla ort orm! Níor thuig mé riamh go bhféadfadh sé gur eitleán, aer faoileoir, roicéad, satailít nó héileacaptar ag titim anuas a bheadh ​​i mbeiteoir annoying (nach bhfuil agamsa), ar chúiseanna ie leibhéal íseal breosla. Nó do phíolótaí nach n-úsáideann criosanna ann.

Yes your drone is classed as an aircraft and most people aware of the rules will know this, you seem adverse to rules.

With regard to hover or land you are not allowed iniatiate this , this is an option for loss of signal, it would be a very stupid reckless pilot who would set his drone to hover if he thought he couldn’t get back to it or land if it was in danger of landing on people. There is no real substitute for stupid and what you are now putting forward is just that stupid.

But look you keep hammering away at dji and see how far you get. But I suppose groups like EASA FAA CAA have been responsible for safety in aviation for many years with a record that cannot be matched by any other mode of mechanical transport so I for one am glad they are in charge , not someone who sets his drone to land when he knows it risks hitting people.

My advice to you is this, and I won’t be posting to you anymore is to try to get dji to allow the operator to choose to stop the beeping in low battery as they have with M2P/Z instead of trying to rewrite the safety book.
One thing you should take note of, you would never get this topic to be taken seriously on any of the professional forums. “I wonder why”
2022-3-22
Use props
Wilfried5719
lvl.3
Portugal

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 14:17
Yes your drone is classed as an aircraft and most people aware of the rules will know this, you seem adverse to rules.

With regard to hover or land you are not allowed iniatiate this , this is an option for loss of signal, it would be a very stupid reckless pilot who would set his drone to hover if he thought he couldn’t get back to it or land if it was in danger of landing on people. There is no real substitute for stupid and what you are now putting forward is just that stupid.

"With regard to hover or land you are not allowed iniatiate this" and "There is no real substitute for stupid and what you are now putting forward is just that stupid." and "not someone who sets his drone to land when he knows it risks hitting people". My tip for you is to just select this option (!) in the app and there you go (crash). Even if I Tell You about the app you deny it. I myself use rth since that procedure is easy and safe but it is DJI that also allows (!) you to select hover or land. Please be carefull to not annoy or even accuse them ! My tip for you is to start a new post here "Remove Land here or Hover (unsafe)".

"But look you keep hammering away at dji". I am not hammering. I started this post with just 1 remark and the rest of the texts is posted by some 99% people who agree while they experience the same problem. So you are the exception, not us.

"But I suppose groups like". You should stop supposing etc and start knowing facts. Technical matters are not about feelings nor about opinions.

"you would never get this topic to be taken seriously on any of the professional forums". No problem. You pretend you are an insider in the profesional world but your so called professional forums are those 1% exception here (and there) and the remaining 99% here (and there) are struggling with a non-professional safety-problem (yes it is). The stronger the "experts" believe (themselfs) the more blind they become.

You are not responding to facts but to what you like and prefer and suppose. And by doing so you have made clear a lot concerning yourself. I do not wonder why. You are the second person (or maybe the third) concerning this in this post.

"I won’t be posting to you anymore". Please do so. Beep Beep.
2022-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules