Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is MINI2 underpowered [ spoiler : NO ]
650 15 2021-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,
Did a wind test with my MINI2.

Weather > nice blue sky, wind from 120 degrees with force 8 m/s.

N mode
1000 meter into 100% headwind on the nose > batt usage 28%, speed average 2.8 m/s, pitch down 22 degrees.
1000 meter with tailwind > batt usage 8%, speed 8.1 m/s, pitch down 1 degree. (sometimes even 0.5 up)

Headwind : theoretical fly distance 100 to 10 % battery > 3214 meter so half way turn to home = 1607 meter
Tailwind : theoretical fly distance 100 to 10 % battery > 11259 meter so half way turn to home = 5625 meter

In this example ; flying outbound with tailwind i should return to home at 2500 meter distance to land with 10% batt level.

Just notice that flying away from homepoint with some tailwind (resulting wind component = tailwind) the flight endurance in the FlyApp is not correct calculated, the moment the craft is turned towards home and the same component of tailwind is now becoming headwind the endurance calculation is getting correct, but much less than 'expected' and worse ; sometimes not enough to reach home! (depends ofcourse of amount of wind force and tailwind component flying outbound)

Fying against headwind (8 m/s) in N mode = 2.8 m/s ; switching to SPORT my Mini2 reached max speed of avg 7m/s with pitch down angle of 38 to 40 degrees down!

So is the MINI2 underpowerd as the MINI1 was ; for sure NOT.

This is how 22 and 38 degrees pitch down are shown in the att indicator:

Video to show some data....check the time remaining irlt batt level ; a) head wind b) tail wind  (think how it would show if i the outbound lag flown with tail wind first ....)

cheers
JJB

PitchDown22.png
PitchDown38.png
2021-6-12
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Excellent test JJB. That was lot of interesting data that you have collected and it shows that the MINI 2  is a great air craft. Thanks a lot for your test. This will help many people. Incredible pitch in sports mode as well as great speed.
2021-6-12
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m tempted to purchase a Mini 2 but I am still waiting for Mini 3.
2021-6-12
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

2021-6-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Spazoo Posted at 6-12 10:29

Waiting is always good option to save money.....   ;-)  but you miss the fun having a flight
2021-6-12
Use props
Tuxtard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Hmm where there any strong wind warnings during your flight? Sure, Mini 2 can handle this, but if the wind is so strong to bring down the speed to only 2 m/s shouldn't pilot be warned on time before making some bad decisions?
2021-6-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tuxtard Posted at 6-12 13:13
Hmm where there any strong wind warnings during your flight? Sure, Mini 2 can handle this, but if the wind is so strong to bring down the speed to only 2 m/s shouldn't pilot be warned on time before making some bad decisions?

if the wind is so strong to bring down the speed to only 2 m/s shouldn't pilot be warned on time before making some bad decisions?
Anyone who can't tell that the wind is that strong, you shouldn't be flying a drone
2021-6-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, JJB*. We really appreciate you for sharing this extremely helpful information for our fellow DJI pilots here in DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support and happy flying always!
2021-6-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tuxtard Posted at 6-12 13:13

Hi Tuxtard,

Important part of flying a drone is the flight preparation and after that pre take-off checks and after take-off checks.

So part of flight preparation is a weather check, if the wind is too strong for your type of craft ; don`t fly. As easy as that.

If i like to fly with 12 m/s wind, and stay close to HP etc, i can give it a try....but i am prepared to land asap ....

My video is for remote pilots who have no clue about wind and the effect on their craft flight endurance!
Guess now they do...   ;-)

cheers
JJB
2021-6-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Paladin Posted at 6-12 19:42
Hi, JJB*. We really appreciate you for sharing this extremely helpful information for our fellow DJI pilots here in DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support and happy flying always!

Hi Paladin,

Thanks for your nice words.

Even better than nice words is to listen more to experienced pilots and implement their ideas into the FlyApp;

1)
Add VPS height on the main screen in the app. (as in the GO4 app)

2)
Automatically disable landing protection if craft is a) x meters away from HP and b) higher than x meters takeoff heightThis will prevent the unwanted ForceLanding mode wich did cause crashes/loosing of DJI drones.
(better; a user option in the app to disable this function!, or a pop-up message "do you really want to land?")

3)
Delete the current attitude/compass indicator, add the GO4 version. GO4 indicator is so much better to understand where
the drone is in the air relative to the RC. Plus you do not need a blue arrow on the RC marking!

4)
if 3 is not possible....do change the HP dot in for something else, now the HP dot is covering the RC marking

5)
Change the blue arrow on the RC dot, it is hardly visible (too small !)

cheers
JJB

2021-6-13
Use props
Tuxtard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

JJB* Posted at 6-13 00:25
Hi Tuxtard,

Important part of flying a drone is the flight preparation and after that pre take-off checks and after take-off checks.
Hi JJB,

Sure, I do all preparations, check conditions etc. Even so, couple of times I've been in situation where I enter sudden wind caused by the terrain structure in area where I live that doesn't show on UAV forecast or other weather apps. I entered the area just fine with no wind and then I was so concerned to take a nice and smooth shot in cine mode that I hadn't been able to notice that wind change. When I switched to normal mode and tried to get back it was barely moving. I was able to switch to sport mode and had enough battery to get it back, but let's imagine that I've lost the signal or my battery was low. Even so, there were no strong wind warnings. When I think about it, for these 3 months I've flown Mini 2 I only got strong wind warning once.
2021-6-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tuxtard Posted at 6-13 02:27
Hi JJB,

Sure, I do all preparations, check conditions etc. Even so, couple of times I've been in situation where I enter sudden wind caused by the terrain structure in area where I live that doesn't show on UAV forecast or other weather apps. I entered the area just fine with no wind and then I was so concerned to take a nice and smooth shot in cine mode that I hadn't been able to notice that wind change. When I switched to normal mode and tried to get back it was barely moving. I was able to switch to sport mode and had enough battery to get it back, but let's imagine that I've lost the signal or my battery was low. Even so, there were no strong wind warnings. When I think about it, for these 3 months I've flown Mini 2 I only got strong wind warning once.

oke, you are doing all what you can do for a good safe flight.
But always be prepared for the worse, battery consumption go high fighting sudden wind, so aim for landing with 30% batt level always in 'tricky-far-from-home' flights.

In my flight (post 1, aware of what is was doing ) i had this warning " Strong wind warning Strong wind warning. Aircraft unable to return to home automatically. Lower altitude immediately and return to home manually (Code: 30149)"

But how many do fly on and on, despite warnings....
Or fly away without setting HP to the start location....
Or fly under bridges and find it strange that GPS was lost....
Or don`t check the compass heading drone in the map view before takeoff....
Or ...etc etc

cheers
JJB
2021-6-13
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 6-12 12:20
Waiting is always good option to save money.....   ;-)  but you miss the fun having a flight

Trust me, I'm not saving any money.  I purchased an Air 2S today.  I'm thinking that should hold me over until Mini 3 is released.  

I am so wanting to upgrade my Mavic Mini.  It's awesome having a drone small enough that I can take with me almost anywhere I go.  The Mini is great but I would really like to upgrade to 4K video.
2021-6-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

JJB* Posted at 6-13 00:40
Hi Paladin,

Thanks for your nice words.

Thank you for bringing this with us. I will take note of this and will forward it to our designated team for their attention. Thank you for your continued support and happy flying!
2021-6-13
Use props
AussieDronePilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1942792 ft
Australia

There has been times that the weather forecast and the forecast on UV forecast (wind wise) has been wrong for ground level but at 100m AGL, been quite close to reality  (example; recorded wind speeds <5km/h at ground level but 40+km/h at 100m AGL, while the forecast was 36km/h at ground level but 50km/h for 100m AGL) .
2021-6-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very cool (and comforting)
2021-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now