Night Flying
5340 9 2021-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3362310 ft
United States

I am so new to drones so please be patient with me. I registered with the faa and have my id# affixed to the 2s, and I get a laanc authorization before every flight. So tonight I took the 2s up to 80ft above my driveway just to se what it's like(I had red&green strobes on the front and a white on top,, all firehouse arc 5's). I did not go anywhere. Just up 80ft, panned 360 then back down the put the 2s to bed. No, not the literal bed. I wanted to go just down the block and back, but was apprehensive not knowing if the drone knew where it was. Please someone school me, can the air 2s see at night and how does it know where it's going?
2021-6-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The simple answer is the aircraft cannot see at night, and it has no idea where it is going. All of that is up to you. You need to be mindful of any obstacles along the way and take appropriate action. What it does know is the GPS location where it took off from and of course it knows the GPS location of where it is. Therefore it can return home to the takeoff point if RTH is invoked, but the process has nothing to do with 'seeing' where it is going.
2021-6-12
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you're going to fly at night do it at a clear path which you are familiar IE: open field, no trees(make sure you fly high enough to clear all) and enjoy the taking night pix.
2021-6-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, The Air 2s can recognize its location through GPS, so it is important to take off with a strong GPS signal to set a Home Point and ensure positioning stability, meanwhile, Always fly in open areas and keep your drone within line of sight. For safety reasons, you should never fly above people, animals, or moving vehicles. Here are the tips for flying the drone: https://www.dji.com/au/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=footer.  Thanks and fly with caution.
2021-6-13
Use props
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
United States

So I have flown dozens of times around my neighborhood and I always fly at 105ft. That completely clears me of trees, powerlines and all obstacles. So I would be good with that? And, do the vision sensors work, or not? Oooops, just realized they dont.
2021-6-13
Use props
Mavic2018
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1544065 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I havent flown at night as such but I have flown around sunset and noticed that i always get warnings about ambient light being insufficient and then the drone seems to be a little jumpy.   Should I be disabling the vision sensors when flying in low light ??
2021-6-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

It cannot see it's way so make sure you are high enough to avoid any known obstacles. This was done in my neighborhood so I knew how high to fly.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=229937
2021-6-13
Use props
MichaelMuni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160249 ft
  • >>>
United States

#1 did you take the night flight training from the FAA? cannot fly at night without taking the trainings.
#2 the drone keeps its position via GPS just like in day time, has nothing to do with the cameras or what it see's. GPS is determined by satilite signals.
#3 you need to know your surroundings, what is around, how high things are so you can avoid them. Do not expect the colision avoidance sensors to work at night, everything will rely you as a pilot.

If you are going to try and do something like a hyperlapse a good idea is to go up in day time, save the waypoints. Then at night have it fly the same route.

to try and help the drone durring landing you may want to get a colorful landing mat, and light it up with a light. During landing the drone does use the camera to try and hone in the landing to a more precice spot to where it took off. If the camera cant see it could be off the mark by a few feet.

2021-6-13
Use props
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
United States

MichaelMuni Posted at 6-13 16:25
#1 did you take the night flight training from the FAA? cannot fly at night without taking the trainings.

Im not even 107 cert. But also, I am registered with the faa and I get laanc approval before every single time I fly. I never knew about this night training. Many thanks for passing that on to me. I need to take that course.
2021-6-13
Use props
MichaelMuni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160249 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can only fly at night if you either have part 107 license or take the night training from FAA (its free and done online) this is a new thing within the last 2 months.

Here is a clip of my first quick test flight with my Air 2s at night.
2021-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules