Which Drone... I need help and advice!!!
484 18 2021-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael2312
lvl.2
Germany

Hey guys and girls!

I'm looking at purchasing a drone for leisure use, mainly social media and probably some cinematics for YouTube later on.. I've thinned it down to the Mini 2 and the Air 2S.. I used to own a MP2 but I didnt really use it so it ended up being sold whereas now I feel I'm missing that element from the photography / videography I'm doing. I would be using the drone for mainly beach shots and various parks, etc so wouldn't be in built up areas and not commercial use.

I'm in the UK so I know the current laws are changing from January 1st 2023 which would push the 2S into the A3 category rendering it potentially useless however I really like the features that the 2S can offer.

What would you guys recommend? I've signed up to FPVUK to enable me to use the Article 16 but come 2023 I don't think even that will help.

Is the mini 2 worth it in terms of quality?

Many thanks in advance
2021-6-13
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251762 ft
United Kingdom

Hey, the Air 2s is amazing and is the one I went for, i do a lot of beach stuff, you do need to be careful and article 16 is not a 100% useful, so i ended up doing the A2CoC to cover me in all situations.  If you want to fly in crowded places then the mini is one for you.
2021-6-13
Use props
Michael2312
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I don’t think I’d fly in built up areas.. my main concern and the only stopping block with the Air 2S is that when it’s pushed into an A3 category I won’t be able to fly many places at all
2021-6-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Michael2312. Good day and thank you for choosing DJI. In addition to this post I will post a link where in you can compare all of the  DJI consumer drones ( https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav ). Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2021-6-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Michael2312 Posted at 6-13 13:17
I don’t think I’d fly in built up areas.. my main concern and the only stopping block with the Air 2S is that when it’s pushed into an A3 category I won’t be able to fly many places at all

Mini 2. Except for some advanced features and a higher speed, the Mini 2 has almost the same stuff as the A2s. I have a Mini 2 and an MA2 and except for the tracking modes, the Mini 2 does enough most of the time.
2021-6-13
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 6-13 19:05
Mini 2. Except for some advanced features and a higher speed, the Mini 2 has almost the same stuff as the A2s. I have a Mini 2 and an MA2 and except for the tracking modes, the Mini 2 does enough most of the time.

Sounds like the mini is right for you then, but i would not worry about the C status this will get sorted, no manufacture can do it yet as the EU has yet to release the approval criteria.
2021-6-14
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

I have both drones, the Mini 2 is easier to carry, less conspicuous and a very good drone for its size and cost. The Air 2s is better in higher winds, has a better sensor for photography/ videography, it has more modes, has ADS-B, etc. In the USA you would be considered commercial pilot by putting videos on youtube, so you would need a part 107 certificate. Don't know if EU is considering anything similar, just additional info.
2021-6-14
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 6-14 05:56
I have both drones, the Mini 2 is easier to carry, less conspicuous and a very good drone for its size and cost. The Air 2s is better in higher winds, has a better sensor for photography/ videography, it has more modes, has ADS-B, etc. In the USA you would be considered commercial pilot by putting videos on youtube, so you would need a part 107 certificate. Don't know if EU is considering anything similar, just additional info.

No in the EU we now have the different flight categories and qualification requirements, basically anything under 250g you just need to do an online registration and test.

Anything over 250g online registration and test and must be flown at 150m away from residential / industrial  areas, and areas with crowds of people and 50m from uninvolved people.

If you do a further qualification called the A2CoC you can fly your 250g+ drone in residential / industrial areas that costs about £150 to do.

Good news id that both private and commercial are treated the same and the only difference for commercial operations is that you are required to have commercial insurance by law.
2021-6-14
Use props
Michael2312
lvl.2
Germany

Captain Dangerous Posted at 6-14 08:20
No in the EU we now have the different flight categories and qualification requirements, basically anything under 250g you just need to do an online registration and test.

Anything over 250g online registration and test and must be flown at 150m away from residential / industrial  areas, and areas with crowds of people and 50m from uninvolved people.

Following your earlier post about the C status.. do you think, come 2023, the A2S will be rendered useless to a degree if it's pushed into the A3 category.. I'd love to spend the extra and buy it but I'm just concerned that in 18 months time I'll be so limited on where I can and can't use it. I've signed up to Article 16 and considering doing the A2 CofC
2021-6-14
Use props
Michael2312
lvl.2
Germany

GaryDoug Posted at 6-13 19:05

How do you find the raw picture quality from the mini compared to the MA2?
2021-6-14
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mini 2, or wait for Mini 3.
2021-6-14
Use props
Michael2312
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Spazoo Posted at 6-14 14:59
Mini 2, or wait for Mini 3.
You’re an Air 2S verified user haha what makes you say mini?
2021-6-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Michael2312 Posted at 6-14 13:15

No idea, since I never use those.
2021-6-14
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

Michael2312 Posted at 6-14 15:04
You’re an Air 2S verified user haha what makes you say mini?

Air 2S is great.  I have no complaints.  But if I only had 1 drone it would be a drone < 250g. Right now Mini 2 is the best in that class.

2021-6-14
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

Michael2312 Posted at 6-14 13:15

Michael,
Check this out Air 2s Photography
Somewhere on the forum, they stated the Air 2s has denoise built-in.
2021-6-15
Use props
Michael2312
lvl.2
Germany

videoeditman Posted at 6-15 06:58
Michael,
Check this out Air 2s Photography
Somewhere on the forum, they stated the Air 2s has denoise built-in.

It looks really good but I'm just unsure with it not being C rated for UK legislation. I'm thinking of buying the Mini 2 and waiting for a C class rated drone.

Anyone have any thoughts about if or when the Mini 3 will be available?
2021-6-15
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

Michael2312 Posted at 6-15 16:26
It looks really good but I'm just unsure with it not being C rated for UK legislation. I'm thinking of buying the Mini 2 and waiting for a C class rated drone.

Anyone have any thoughts about if or when the Mini 3 will be available?

No specifics, but if DJI is planning one it could be a September release.
2021-6-16
Use props
Michael2312
lvl.2
Germany

Well after much thought, I bought a Mini 2 yesterday. I think with the new regulations on the horizon in the UK, it would be a silly move to purchase the 2S now. I'll use this time to get used to the features and flying and then when a C class drone is released I'll look to pick one of those up. Thanks very much for all the advice
2021-6-16
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Michael2312 Posted at 6-16 19:28
Well after much thought, I bought a Mini 2 yesterday. I think with the new regulations on the horizon in the UK, it would be a silly move to purchase the 2S now. I'll use this time to get used to the features and flying and then when a C class drone is released I'll look to pick one of those up. Thanks very much for all the advice

good luck and have fun flying.
2021-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules