Fly App stated altitude restricted 0 feet, airmap shows 400 ft
1708 18 2021-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

I just flew my air 2s and received a warning at the top of screen that said Altitude restricted to 0 ft.
I just tested my Mini 2 same location it said " Aircraft Altitude Zone 492 feet (150 meters - playback) Fly with caution.
The air 2 S still says "altitude Zone 0 feet" Same location, same day!
According to Airmap it is under the outer ring of a 400 foot Class D airspace.
Any ideas?, as this happened to me before as I flew over a river, and thought I had lost my new drone as there was 0 foot Altitude zone warning Popped -up!
2021-6-14
Use props
Miguel Leitao
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1977067 ft
Portugal

I think its know issue with Air 2S. All altitudes areas apear as restricted 0m regardless of the height limit of that area. You can fly but some options are not available like Mastershots.
2021-6-14
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

I'm a bit nervous as if you fly over water and somehow the restriction kicks in I don't want to lose my new drone due to bad software! I hope they fix this soon.
2021-6-14
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

Miguel Leitao Posted at 6-14 11:03
I think its know issue with Air 2S. All altitudes areas apear as restricted 0m regardless of the height limit of that area. You can fly but some options are not available like Mastershots.

Thanks for the update!
2021-6-14
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251762 ft
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 6-14 12:08
Thanks for the update!

There was a 2s firmware bug a few months back that caused this, but if you update to the latest its gone now.
2021-6-15
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

Captain Dangerous Posted at 6-15 03:47
There was a 2s firmware bug a few months back that caused this, but if you update to the latest its gone now.

Do you happen to know what update addressed this? I will check my updates to see they are current, thank you.
2021-6-15
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

I checked all my software/ firmware and it states it is up to date, yet I Still have these Atitude Zone messages! Aircraft firmware 2.04.1690; Remote Control 4.12.0032; Flysafe 1.00.01.23; APP 1.4.2 - I am running android!
Anyone get their Air 2s running OK without illegitimate warnings? Maybe I will try the mini 2 again at the same spot.
2021-6-15
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

I just tested my Mini 2 same location it said " Aircraft Altitude Zone 492 feet (150 meters - playback) Fly with caution.
The air 2 S says "altitude Zone 0 feet" Same location, same day!
According to Airmap it is under the outer ring of a 400 foot Class D airspace.
Any ideas, as this happened to me before as I flew over a river, and thought I had lost my new drone as there was 0 foot Altitude zone warning Pop -up!
2021-6-17
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make sure to update the Flysafe database as well. Easy to overlook as firmware is usually where most people start first.  
2021-6-17
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

RobZilla Posted at 6-17 11:03
Make sure to update the Flysafe database as well. Easy to overlook as firmware is usually where most people start first.

I did check for updates, also the mini 2 is on the same Flysafe database # 01.00.01.23.I just updated the Mini 2 to 1.4.2 so I will try to test again maybe an AC firmware database issue?
If so everyone else flying near a class airspace should see the same error?
2021-6-17
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Which Class D airport is this at?   Just curious so I can take a glance at the area.

I know this might be extra steps and may be unnecessary as you were able to fly your Mini 2, but did you do the Geo zone unlock from DJI?  Its quite easy to do and I'm wondering if you'll get the same results. Not sure why the discrepancy between the Mini2 and A2S as its the same Flysafe database version. And yea I agree DJI needs to address this especially when one drone version works and other doesn't.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock

2021-6-17
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

RobZilla Posted at 6-17 11:28
Which Class D airport is this at?   Just curious so I can take a glance at the area.

I know this might be extra steps and may be unnecessary as you were able to fly your Mini 2, but did you do the Geo zone unlock from DJI?  Its quite easy to do and I'm wondering if you'll get the same results. Not sure why the discrepancy between the Mini2 and A2S as its the same Flysafe database version. And yea I agree DJI needs to address this especially when one drone version works and other doesn't.

DuPage Airport = DPA , On the DJI map it is East of the outside the Enhanced Warning Zones circle in a gray area extending from the runway. I launched from Glasshagels Fields Park
2021-6-17
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm completely up to date and get the same thing...0 - philadelphia Class B
2021-6-17
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Is related to the Database of fly zones that sucks. DJI toked the info about areas disregarding the fact that a part of areas were in Blue zone or even Red zone as was a lot of COVID vaccines shipped by air in that period.
We have an airport outside city and all city is blue here....but in fact the city is not, as the shipments was long ago finished...
The 0 feet message is connected to Mastershots as DJI does not want to assume that you can use mastershots in an area that could be restricted in any way...practically if they continue like this, Mastershots will be banned everywhere )))).
So no worries, 0 feet is about Mastershots and this is how they managed to ban this function in some areas.
Cheers.

PS. Stupid programmers...SC still with bugs at Custom Stick mode...months and months from now...
2021-6-17
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 6-17 22:39
Is related to the Database of fly zones that sucks. DJI toked the info about areas disregarding the fact that a part of areas were in Blue zone or even Red zone as was a lot of COVID vaccines shipped by air in that period.
We have an airport outside city and all city is blue here....but in fact the city is not, as the shipments was long ago finished...
The 0 feet message is connected to Mastershots as DJI does not want to assume that you can use mastershots in an area that could be restricted in any way...practically if they continue like this, Mastershots will be banned everywhere )))).

I'm not in red or blue zone yet still get the message, also Mini 2 says altitude zone 492 feet.
2021-6-18
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

RobZilla Posted at 6-17 11:28

I know this might be extra steps and may be unnecessary as you were able to fly your Mini 2, but did you do the Geo zone unlock from DJI?  Its quite easy to do and I'm wondering if you'll get the same results. Not sure why the discrepancy between the Mini2 and A2S as its the same Flysafe database version. And yea I agree DJI needs to address this especially when one drone version works and other doesn't.

Robzilla, I did not try to unlock geo-zone as it didn't say there was one. I can fly with the Air 2S but have this constant onscreen warning!
2021-6-18
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

videoeditman Posted at 6-18 04:36
Robzilla, I did not try to unlock geo-zone as it didn't say there was one. I can fly with the Air 2S but have this constant onscreen warning!

videoeditman--

So I took a look at Airmap from what you've mentioned... Glasshagel Fields Park east of DPA airport. First according to Airmap even though its shows 400 feet which you're allowed to fly upto, this area is on the flightpath for landing/takeoff which requires LAANC. Not sure you clicked to check the yellow warning for this area which describes this. But getting LAANC aka FAA authorization should be ok for recreational pilot which I presume you are.

Second, it does match with DJI's map below in this instance for the warning. Gray area for the flightpath. If this area were not on the flightpath even with a 400 feet restriction, then you would not get the constant nagging warning on the app.

As for the discrepancy between the Air2S and Mini2,  this needs to be fixed from DJI's side even if the <250 Mini2 versus the >250g Air2S does NOT apply. It's a controlled airspace so that no matter what size/weight of the drone is, there are certain restrictions and the warning you get for the Air2S should also apply to the Mini2.

DPA - Glasshagel Fields Park 2.JPG
2021-6-18
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

RobZilla Posted at 6-18 07:28
videoeditman--

So I took a look at Airmap from what you've mentioned... Glasshagel Fields Park east of DPA airport. First according to Airmap even though its shows 400 feet which you're allowed to fly upto, this area is on the flightpath for landing/takeoff which requires LAANC. Not sure you clicked to check the yellow warning for this area which describes this. But getting LAANC aka FAA authorization should be ok for recreational pilot which I presume you are.

Robzilla,
I thought that the Number "400" feet was the bottom of the airspace and no authorization was needed.
Especially as the mini stated altitude Zone 492 feet. I've seen sectional charts and they are like upside down wedding cakes, any space below the ceiling is class G-unrestricted airspace. now I see that is not the case in Class D, no tiers. Are the numbers in class D airspace only for Laanc approval maximums or do they serve some other purpose?
2021-6-18
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

videoeditman Posted at 6-18 12:39
Robzilla,
I thought that the Number "400" feet was the bottom of the airspace and no authorization was needed.
Especially as the mini stated altitude Zone 492 feet. I've seen sectional charts and they are like upside down wedding cakes, any space below the ceiling is class G-unrestricted airspace. now I see that is not the case in Class D, no tiers. Are the numbers in class D airspace only for Laanc approval maximums or do they serve some other purpose?

Every airspace is different and not all Class D airspace requires LAANC approval so you shouldn't make assumptions. But also you have to check where you're launching from and the area. It's easy to think the standard upside wedding cake would apply to all airports, but that's not the case when you have multiple airports in the vicinity especially when Class B and D are nearby.  Chicago and Seattle areas have similarities where B and D overlap which complicates things =>
SkyVector of Chicago area

I know talking to some IFR and VFR pilots Chicago and Seattle area are quite complicated and advise checking as many maps and TFRs (Temporary Flight Restrictions) as possible. This is the case especially in the summer and election years due to high visibility officials flying or military operations, ie Blue Angels! TFRs apply to sports games too and if you check SkyVector.com, I see 2 TFRs already in the Chicago area.  

As I mentioned, I think there's a discrepancy for the Mini2 which is DJI's error. I don't know if DJI is taking into account because the Mini2 is <250g + recreational flying but what you experience on the Air2S should apply to to the Mini2 especially in that particular area you're flying. So if you don't want to see the warning messages that DJI is flashing in that area, use the Mini2!!   Don't know why DJI can't get these right for these drones when the same Flysafe database is being used for both.

2021-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules