Trouble Free Flights
1369 11 2015-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Hey you all, So I got my brand new P3P on july 17th. I had spent all june and most of july reading nearly everything on it and watched untold videos on youtube. so when I got it I went through all the initial setup, I.E.; firmware updates, understanding how the thing flies, how dji pilot app works and it's freeze up issues and what to do if it happens mid flight etc etc. I flew it about ten times that day and it flew just perfect, home return to within 5 feet, ioc just perfect. everything just wonderful. on the last flight I was feeling so comfortable with it that I started flying real aggressive maneuvers and then it just suddenly cut off engines and fell from about 30 feet straight on to grass. well, the gimble gut bent and the landing gear got bent too, everything else survived. in fact I ve been flying it since and as we speak, I am in outter banks, nc and flying it in 15 to 25 mph winds and it holds its ground just great.
the reason for this thread is to clarify other mid air engine shutdowns for newbees such as myself. the P3 did exactly what it was told to do, CUT ENGINES!! and that is from CSC that I did as I was doing the maneuvers. Well, some would say it is silly to have CSC to cut out motors, I am not going to get in to that. the moral of this long winded thread is that if I HAD READ THE ENTIRE USER MANUAL as suggested by DJI I would have come across the CSC and the warning from DJI as not to use it in flight as the motors WILL CUT OUT. I actually do remember coming across the CSC part in the manual but for some stupid reason just jumped over it!!! that is a engineering decision that dji made to cut out motors with CSC, it is besides the point whether we agree with that decision or not, maybe a separate button would have been more apt., but the fact is if we read the entire manual then most of the mid air motor cut outs would disappear. It is neither the P3's fault nor DJI. It is my own stupidity for not reading EVERYTHING!! and costing my self another $600 for a new camera!!, which by the way I am not going to, it still flies fantastically and takes great videos, just lop side, LOL. I will use it the way it is and then buy a new one after I ve saved the money because I can always use parts in case of further crashes.
One last thing , remember this drone is a flying camera not an acrobatic drone, which I was trying to fly as one!! Learn the CSC and stay far away from those stick commands. I can not speak highly enough  of this drone and absolutely recommend it to everyone who wants a stable platform. by the way ive found out that ios is a more stable platform for dji pilot, much less freeze ups!! Have fun fly safe.+
2015-7-21
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

I appreciate your honesty in describing what led to your P3 crash.  I'm curious - we're you intentionally performing a CSC with the sticks while you were flying to see what would happen, or did you accidentally find that you performed a CSC in reviewing the flight log?  Your post should certainly stand as a clear advice to thoroughly read the manual (and a number of good informational posts on this forum) BEFORE flying the P3.  I hope you enjoy flying your camera-less P3 and get a new one to enjoy when the funds become available.
2015-7-21
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for your feedback!

By the very nature of the CSC, max descending while yawing/rotating clockwise to the right should trigger your first UT-OH. {:2_29:}  
Combine that with max reverse to the left and you are just kissed it good-bye. {:3_53:}
The technology is so great, so fun, and so amazing, that's it to easy to forget that our aircraft is flying and we, the pilots are ultimately responsible for it's safe take-off, flight, and landing....
2015-7-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-7-22 07:27
I appreciate your honesty in describing what led to your P3 crash.  I'm curious - we're you intentio ...

No i was not even aware of csc to kill the motors as in my humble opinion is not a logical way to kill the motors, but as i said shame on me for not reading the warning on csc in midflight. I just want others to be aware and not make tge same mistake as many of us are doing. Thx
2015-7-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-7-22 07:27
I appreciate your honesty in describing what led to your P3 crash.  I'm curious - we're you intentio ...

Forgot to tell you that as i mentioned everything on the camera works perfect, you just need to tilt your head 10 degrees to the left, lol.
2015-7-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

terrylewis Posted at 2015-7-22 09:02
Thanks for your feedback!

By the very nature of the CSC, max descending while yawing/rotating clock ...

Absolutely right my friend, dont blame the machine for doing what we tell it to do due to lack of knowledge and then expect the manufacturer foot the bill for the repair.
By the way how did you find out which stick commands i gave it.
Tx
2015-7-21
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

Bad luck mate. You aren't the first and won't be the last to initiate a CSC as part of their normal flight. Don't pick an argument with the old heads about their beloved CSC - they are happy with it just the way it is. Some don't like change.
2015-7-21
Use props
editfx
lvl.2

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-7-22 11:12
No i was not even aware of csc to kill the motors as in my humble opinion is not a logical way to  ...

How were you killing the motors on previous flights before your crash?

I've read conflicting reports whether using the left stick to descend can kill the motors or not.
Some say it will, while others say that if the P3 detects that it is still descending it will override the command and not kill the motors.

I agree that a CSC that can potentially be used as a legitimate flight command while flying is a huge design flaw.
2015-7-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

ScottyT Posted at 2015-7-22 11:48
Bad luck mate. You aren't the first and won't be the last to initiate a CSC as part of their normal  ...

Hey i am not mad at dji or the P3, or the CSC. It is what it is and people more intelligent than me have decided that is the best way to kill the motors and i am good with that. I am mad at myself for not reading the manual. By the way if it wasnt  for change then we would not have the P3. Safe flying
2015-7-21
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

rayrokni Posted at 2015-7-22 11:54
Hey i am not mad at dji or the P3, or the CSC. It is what it is and people more intelligent than m ...

No it's there for a purpose, but I just think it's a risk for new users in its current form,  even if you have read the manual.
2015-7-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

editfx Posted at 2015-7-22 11:53
How were you killing the motors on previous flights before your crash?

I've read conflicting repo ...

I always cut off motors by pulling back on throttle stick once landed. Never any issues with motors cutting out while pulling throttle back, slowly or at full speed. Dont forget CSC stands for COMBINED STICK COMMAND, emphasis on Combined. So as long as you are only pulling back on throttle to decend and leave the other stick alone there can be no combined stick commands. And theres only, i believe, 2 CSC to kill motors in P3. Thx and Be safe
2015-7-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

ScottyT Posted at 2015-7-22 12:00
No it's there for a purpose, but I just think it's a risk for new users in its current form,  even ...

I agree. And the reason for it is not lost on me, do i want to cause an accident or drop the p3, i would always choose the latter. Tx
2015-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules