Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Airsense not available after changing the shell
2962 13 2021-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Elysian Whisper
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53596 ft
Germany

I hit some tree branches and the "debris" went inside the shell. I took the shell off to clean the dirt & all the leaves and put it back on. Since then, the airsense is not available. The drone never crashed and no damage happened but I am curious if this happened to anyone else & what did you do about it?

Airsense is very important as I live in a controlled airspace zone and it worked flawlessly before.
2021-6-16
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

The ADS-B antenna use U.FL connectors on the GPS board. These connectors are relatively fragile. They should be unplugged by lifting the connector straight up away from the PCB. The connector should not be pulled apart using the antenna wire since this can bend the connector. (I've damaged a U.FL connector myself.)

Here are a few teardown videos showing these connectors. I'll try to link to the correct time but I don't think this always works. I'll also list the timestamp above each video link.

At time 1:23 of this video, the GPS board is shown with the two U.FL connectors seen at the bottom of the board displayed board. Soon after the board is shown the two F.UL the video shows the two ADS-B antenna being disconnected.  This video actually shows the ADS-B antenna being removed at 5:22. The drone is taken apart into smaller pieces in this first video than in the other two videos

The video below removes the GPS board. The ABS-B antenna connectors are the last connectors he removes on this board. Start the video at 4:07 to see the these connectors.

iFixit performed a partial teardown of this drone. The don't show the ADS-B antenna connectors very well but they can be seen at about 4:47. I don't like the way the connectors were removed in this video. I personally think it's safer to lift the connector with curved tweezers slipped under the sides of the connector. Make sure you don't squeeze this connectors, they can be easily damaged.

If you are unsure if your antennas are connected correctly, you could post a photo of the connectors and we could take a look at it. If you take a photo, try to get a view of the connectors under the black tape.
2021-6-16
Use props
anethema
lvl.2

Canada

Duane Degn Posted at 6-16 06:56
The ADS-B antenna use U.FL connectors on the GPS board. These connectors are relatively fragile. They should be unplugged by lifting the connector straight up away from the PCB. The connector should not be pulled apart using the antenna wire since this can bend the connector. (I've damaged a U.FL connector myself.)

Here are a few teardown videos showing these connectors. I'll try to link to the correct time but I don't think this always works. I'll also list the timestamp above each video link.

Yep you can even see them in the iFixit title image:

2021-6-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Elysian Whisper. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI FPV. Since the said DJI drone crashed before and now you are having this issue with your DJI FPV. I would recommend to contact our DJI support team at  https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance and for us to be able to check the said drone thoroughly for damages. Have a safe and a happy flying always. We have a team that will do there best to help and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Just a reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone to avoid further damaging the said unit and voiding the said warranty of the said DJI Drone as well. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2021-6-16
Use props
Recon286
lvl.1
Flight distance : 727418 ft
United States

What isn't obvious in the image above: what anethema circled is where the connectors are, but they are covered by a spongy/sticky pad. Removing the shell might have just pulled up on this pad and the connectors underneath to disconnect them and hopefully not break anything. You could check this before sending the drone back to DJI for repairs.

First time I tried to take off in M mode, the quad immediately flipped over and started mowing my grass. Needless to say I had to do a similar cleanup under the shell, and just before putting it back on I noticed mine were fully disconnected, evidently pulled off by this pad sticking to the shell upon removal. I plugged them back in and have had no issues.

Contrary to what Stephen says, taking off the shell shouldn't void your warranty since it's expressly described in the owner's manual and they even provide a second shell for you to add some color should you desire. I'd at least check the connectors before sending it back and being out weeks of flying and who knows how much $$.
2021-6-18
Use props
djiuser_f4eeruguvavT
lvl.1

United States

I myself have never crashed my quad but I get a message saying “fan error” and the drone won’t engage for flight.nothing wrong with the motors but yes they don’t start up and the RC is connected 100%when I took the canopy off and manually tried to rotate the fan it makes a low grinding sound as if something is stuck in there
2021-6-20
Use props
Elysian Whisper
lvl.1
Germany

Duane Degn Posted at 6-16 06:56
The ADS-B antenna use U.FL connectors on the GPS board. These connectors are relatively fragile. They should be unplugged by lifting the connector straight up away from the PCB. The connector should not be pulled apart using the antenna wire since this can bend the connector. (I've damaged a U.FL connector myself.)

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. Sorry for the late answer, I had eye surgery and had no chance to fly the drone since my post. I checked it as shown in the video and the antennas are fully attached with the foamy material on them and are very firm. I guess there might be another issue.
2021-11-27
Use props
Elysian Whisper
lvl.1
Germany

anethema Posted at 6-16 16:30
Yep you can even see them in the iFixit title image:

[view_image]

Thank you very much for your response. Yes, you are right. The antennas are there and in my case, they are exactly like they should be. The foamy material is on top and not even a bit damaged as I was very careful with changing the canopy. The antennas are firm and not easily able to move. I think there might be another issue here.
2021-11-27
Use props
Elysian Whisper
lvl.1
Germany

Recon286 Posted at 6-18 22:27
What isn't obvious in the image above: what anethema circled is where the connectors are, but they are covered by a spongy/sticky pad. Removing the shell might have just pulled up on this pad and the connectors underneath to disconnect them and hopefully not break anything. You could check this before sending the drone back to DJI for repairs.

First time I tried to take off in M mode, the quad immediately flipped over and started mowing my grass. Needless to say I had to do a similar cleanup under the shell, and just before putting it back on I noticed mine were fully disconnected, evidently pulled off by this pad sticking to the shell upon removal. I plugged them back in and have had no issues.

Thank you for your response. You are right, the antennas are covered by a spongy material and are very firm. They are not easy to disconnect. So, I don't think that changing the canopy has caused the issue.
2021-11-27
Use props
Elysian Whisper
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-16 19:05
Hello there Elysian Whisper. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI FPV. Since the said DJI drone crashed before and now you are having this issue with your DJI FPV. I would recommend to contact our DJI support team at  https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance and for us to be able to check the said drone thoroughly for damages. Have a safe and a happy flying always. We have a team that will do there best to help and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Just a reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone to avoid further damaging the said unit and voiding the said warranty of the said DJI Drone as well. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.

Thank you very much for your response. I tried to fly the drone today after 5 months. I noticed that the issue still exists that I get airsense error. Plus I noticed 2 more things that my drone is locked at 50 meters height, I doesn't go above 50 meters and also the home point is not visible in the googles anymore. I tried to do a factory reset but still the same issue. I have already contacted the support.
2021-11-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Elysian Whisper Posted at 11-27 03:53
Thank you very much for your response. I tried to fly the drone today after 5 months. I noticed that the issue still exists that I get airsense error. Plus I noticed 2 more things that my drone is locked at 50 meters height, I doesn't go above 50 meters and also the home point is not visible in the googles anymore. I tried to do a factory reset but still the same issue. I have already contacted the support.

Hi there Elysian Whisper. Thank you for the reply and  for the given update. It is great to know that you have already contacted our DJI support team for assistance with regards to this matter. Rest assured that we will do our best to help you. Thank you.
2021-11-29
Use props
Elysian Whisper
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-29 21:09
Hi there Elysian Whisper. Thank you for the reply and  for the given update. It is great to know that you have already contacted our DJI support team for assistance with regards to this matter. Rest assured that we will do our best to help you. Thank you.

Thank you very much Stephen. I am in contact with DJI support but until they reply, let me write it out here so that everyone who is facing the same issue also gets to know this and for for those might have a solution can post as well.

DJI support told me to...

"Please check whether you are still logged in, as range limitation only occurs when the app account has been released.
To do this, simply reconnect your smartphone to the goggles as soon as the goggles, aircraft and RC are connected to one another.
Then this problem should be solved again.
In any case, check the firmware again via the DJI Assistant 2, if necessary carry out a refresh so that everything fits again on the system side."

I have checked the firmware and it is up to date (Screenshot 2) as I always keep my DJI devices up to date. I tried to refresh the firmware but I always encountered an error (Screenshot 1).

Does anyone else is facing such issues?
2021-12-11
Use props
Elysian Whisper
lvl.1
Germany

Okay so... It turned out be both hardware and software issue. The DJI support told me to update the firmware via DJI Assistent 2 but it didn't work out. I had to send the drone to the repair center. Turns out, hitting some bushes damaged the Drone protective Frame, GPS Board and Vision Sensor Module. But now it is working as brand new.
2022-2-19
Use props
nOxxxx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

I have the same problem. Can you still check what was the price of the GPS module? I can function without Airsense if its price turns out to be too high.
2023-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules