Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mini 2 Mid-air Collision ?
1521 19 2021-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Antulo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90988 ft
United Kingdom

Just had my Mini 2 for a couple of weeks and thoroughly loving it (it's my second drone, with my first being a HolyStone HS720e). I'm pretty new to drone flying, and still getting in practice and learning their abilities. I was flying around the beach and some cliffs a few days back, and even thoug hthere are seagulls about, they seem to stay away, and stick close to the cliffs, so as far as i could tell, the air space was clear around me. While flying, the video went all 'tumbly' for a couple of seconds, like the drone had been flipped over. Video then levelled out again. I couldn't see if hte the drone had been hit by a seagull or anything else (nothing on video, and I didn't see anything in the air). I've included the section of video when it happens below. Does this look like the drone was hit by something, and flipped over and recovered itself, or does this look like the gimbal suddenly had a fit and then recovered ?

2021-6-15
Use props
Tuxtard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Hi Antulo,

Looks like a hit to me, but only way to be sure is to upload your flight logs.
2021-6-15
Use props
Antulo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 6-15 11:03
Hi Antulo,

Looks like a hit to me, but only way to be sure is to upload your flight logs.

Thanks for the reply. Don't have the logs anymore, but it's good to know that the drone is able to recover and level itself (assuming no damage). Having flown my HolyStone into a tree (noob mistake) when this happened I was like "oh crap, not again"
2021-6-15
Use props
MM Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 295161 ft
Germany

yeah i also think that it was hit.
2021-6-15
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like a hit.
2021-6-15
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Could be a hit or a sticking motor. Manually turn all 4 motors with the power off and see if any stick/jam. I had two jammed motors on my second Mini. Fortunately I found them before a flight.

If a bird attacks the drone, it will usually be from above. There would likely be blood on the props after that.

2021-6-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Antulo. I am sorry to read and to know about what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mini 2. Since the said DJI drone had this incident before and if you feel that the drone is not preforming well on your future flights. I would recommend to contact our DJI support team at  https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance and for us to be able to check the said drone thoroughly for damages. Just a reminder that birds are part of our environment and I'm sure they're not familiar to the drones that is why they react aggressively when they notice it. Thank you and please fly safe always.
2021-6-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Antulo Posted at 6-15 11:36
Thanks for the reply. Don't have the logs anymore, but it's good to know that the drone is able to recover and level itself (assuming no damage). Having flown my HolyStone into a tree (noob mistake) when this happened I was like "oh crap, not again"

Hi,

Are you sure about the flightlog?  logs are stored on your mobile device, unless you have deleted them manually with a file explorer....log is still there.

PS i always fly with a screen recorder active ; logs and this video are always great for analysis after each flight.

cheers
JJB
2021-6-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Attack from a gull probably.
2021-6-15
Use props
Antulo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 6-15 23:26
Hi,

Are you sure about the flightlog?  logs are stored on your mobile device, unless you have deleted them manually with a file explorer....log is still there.

I found and uploaded logs to AirData and checked the log player, but can't really see anything out of the ordinary. Drone didn't seem to lose much height suddenly, but rather seemed to do a flip or two - not sure if this would be obvious in the logs

I'll look into doing screen recording as well. Will help to check any notifications that may popup in the fly app that I may miss as I am watching drone and not screen
2021-6-15
Use props
Antulo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-15 20:27
Hello there Antulo. I am sorry to read and to know about what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mini 2. Since the said DJI drone had this incident before and if you feel that the drone is not preforming well on your future flights. I would recommend to contact our DJI support team at  https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance and for us to be able to check the said drone thoroughly for damages. Just a reminder that birds are part of our environment and I'm sure they're not familiar to the drones that is why they react aggressively when they notice it. Thank you and please fly safe always.

Drone is working perfectly fine. No visible damage to drone or propellers. I flew the drone back and landed it and checked it over before flying some more, with no issues. Used drone since then as well on a few occasions and also with no issues :-)
2021-6-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Antulo Posted at 6-15 23:42
I found and uploaded logs to AirData and checked the log player, but can't really see anything out of the ordinary. Drone didn't seem to lose much height suddenly, but rather seemed to do a flip or two - not sure if this would be obvious in the logs

I'll look into doing screen recording as well. Will help to check any notifications that may popup in the fly app that I may miss as I am watching drone and not screen

oke, if you like share the airdata link on here, mayby some data analists can find the issue
2021-6-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Antulo Posted at 6-15 23:42

search for "DU Recorder free 2.1.3.2 apk" for android
2021-6-15
Use props
Dale 68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Does look like a nudge from a bird
2021-6-15
Use props
Antulo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 6-15 23:49
oke, if you like share the airdata link on here, mayby some data analists can find the issue

Here's link to the data on airdata - https://app.airdata.com/share/niwJeS

It seems to happen at about 17m39s flight time, and the drone seems to spin around randomly and drop a few feet
2021-6-16
Use props
Antulo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 6-15 23:52
search for "DU Recorder free 2.1.3.2 apk" for android

Thanks. I'm using Google Pixel 4a phone with the drone, and this has screen recording built in
2021-6-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Antulo Posted at 6-16 00:01
Here's link to the data on airdata - https://app.airdata.com/share/niwJeS

It seems to happen at about 17m39s flight time, and the drone seems to spin around randomly and drop a few feet

Hi,

Your MINI2 made a nice move in the air, see the charts.
Must have hit something in air.
So it was not a gimbal glitch...and no motor errors in the log.So of it was no hit, than 1% a error in the propulsion to at least 1 motor for very short time.

But as it is all working in good order afterwards, just keep in mind and many happy landings,

Cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2021-6-16
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Luckily nothing worse, does look like a bird may have bumped it.
2021-6-16
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone else noticed that the video is out of focus at the beginning of that clip (before the drone tumbles)  but in focus at the end?
2021-6-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Antulo Posted at 6-15 23:44
Drone is working perfectly fine. No visible damage to drone or propellers. I flew the drone back and landed it and checked it over before flying some more, with no issues. Used drone since then as well on a few occasions and also with no issues :-)

Hi there Antulo. Thank you for the reply and for these information that you have given. It is great to know that your DJI Mini 2 is working properly. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2021-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules