Flying in the HEAT
6570 20 2021-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_eHsF7gCAjmQ8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 600016 ft
United States

Hello all. First time posting to the boards here. Been lurking for a while. I am going to Las Vegas next week (I am fully aware of all the flight restrictions in Vegas) what i am worried
about are the TEMPS.  Forecasted temps are to be around 115 Degrees. I plan on going to Red Rocks. I also plan to fly early to avoid heat. However, I may have to fly in the heat of the day.  Does anyone have any hints for operatinf the drone in that kind of heat?  Can I fly for a few minutes?  Can I keep the batteries cool with Ice packs?

Thanks for any help.
2021-6-15
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

hi,

that's quite a temperature.
I live in the tropics. Been flying the mini in temperatures upto 34°C, should be around 93°F.

Keep the batteries in a cool place and insert them into the drone last minute. I don't know if freezing the batteries would be a good idea, as the performance of the batteries in low temperatures decreases. Then again the difference between both temperatures will produce condense on the batteries. That you don't want either.

Often, with the high temperatures here the difference between the outside temperature and dewpoint is just a couple degrees (1 to 2 degrees C).

Keep your batteries cool, out of the sun, but in my opinion I would not use cooling packs.
2021-6-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can drop a couple of degrees by flying at the maximum 400'. I put reflective film on the top of all of my drones to reduce heat and maybe scare some birds ;-) Also it makes it easier to find a lost drone.
2021-6-15
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Like Garydoug says, it's probably somewhat cooler up in the air than down on the ground.

@Gary Does the reflecting film helps with bird attacks? Didn't had a real attack yet, but had lots of interested birds circling close.
2021-6-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

JohnDG Posted at 6-15 18:41
Like Garydoug says, it's probably somewhat cooler up in the air than down on the ground.

@Gary Does the reflecting film helps with bird attacks? Didn't had a real attack yet, but had lots of interested birds circling close.

I don't know. I pretty much ignore the terns and ospreys here. No problems so far. But if I see a bald eagle coming near, I will get it down fast ;-)
I took the M2P up for a speed test over my house yesterday and the ospreys were screeching loudly, but keeping their distance.
2021-6-15
Use props
AussieDronePilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1942792 ft
Australia

I've flown in 39°C (102°F) at ground level, one thing to watch is battery temperature while flying! Battery started at 25°C and finished at a max temperature of 59°C , 23 and a half minute flight with 100% charge and landed with 6%.
I have always kept the batteries out of the hub, with the flymore bag open as well in an air conditioned room (~22°C), in an attempt to keep the battery temperatures at a resonable temperature.

2021-6-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that the recommended Operating Temperature Range of the DJI Mini 2 is at 0° to 40°C ( 32° to 104°F ) to avoid any unwanted incident when flying. In addition, I will post a DJI tutorial video on Flying in Hot and Cold Weather. Thank you and fly safe always.

2021-6-15
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

AussieDronePilot Posted at 6-15 18:52
I've flown in 39°C (102°F) at ground level, one thing to watch is battery temperature while flying! Battery started at 25°C and finished at a max temperature of 59°C , 23 and a half minute flight with 100% charge and landed with 6%.
I have always kept the batteries out of the hub, with the flymore bag open as well in an air conditioned room (~22°C), in an attempt to keep the battery temperatures at a resonable temperature.
[view_image]

This was really interesting to see the graph up to almost +60 deg C of the battery temp and still flying. I would not dare doing this though. So you only get about 5-6 min of flight at outside temp of 39 deg C and battery temp at +40 deg C. I have noticed here in Sweden when we had only 25 deg C and then I reached 40 deg C after about 16 minutes and just under 40% battery left. This is for the Mavic 2 Pro that I have. So now I set the RTH at 40% just to remind me that its time to check batt temp and return home. I do not know how much damages 69 deg C will do to the battery, but surely it will suffer to some degree. Thanks for showing this. The M2P Lipo batteries are far too expensive to play around with for me.
2021-6-15
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-15 20:48
Hello there. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that the recommended Operating Temperature Range of the DJI Mini 2 is at 0° to 40°C ( 32° to 104°F ) to avoid any unwanted incident when flying. In addition, I will post a DJI tutorial video on Flying in Hot and Cold Weather. Thank you and fly safe always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmYlKhx_-l0

Thank you very much to show this video Stephen.
2021-6-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I had no problems flying when it was 35 degrees (Celcius)
2021-6-15
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Montfrooij Posted at 6-15 23:59
I had no problems flying when it was 35 degrees (Celcius)

Hi,
Yes of course you can fly in those temperatures but for how long before the battery gets overheated? As I will soon fly down to the tropics when I get the proof of having taken 2 Covid shots and fly a lot over water, I would not dare flying with batt temp up to that temperature. Who knows would could happen. Battery shorts out and drone just ends up in the water.
2021-6-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyalami Posted at 6-16 00:41
Hi,
Yes of course you can fly in those temperatures but for how long before the battery gets overheated? As I will soon fly down to the tropics when I get the proof of having taken 2 Covid shots and fly a lot over water, I would not dare flying with batt temp up to that temperature. Who knows would could happen. Battery shorts out and drone just ends up in the water.

I never had issues.
Flown quite a few batteries in those temperatures. (35 degrees)
Maybe not that high, so I would first try out above land and see what happens.
In my memory, these batteries will notify the drone when they get too hot.
(or too cold for that matter)
2021-6-16
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Montfrooij Posted at 6-16 00:45
I never had issues.
Flown quite a few batteries in those temperatures. (35 degrees)
Maybe not that high, so I would first try out above land and see what happens.

Ok if so, than that is good if you get a notification of that the battery is getting too hot. I have been up to 46 deg C batt temp so far before I realized that they were of the 40 deg C. Yes too cold I have heard about. Are the Mini 2 batteries also LiPo? Abvioulsy Aussidronepilot did not have any problems and did not mentioning anything about warnings.
2021-6-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyalami Posted at 6-16 00:51
Ok if so, than that is good if you get a notification of that the battery is getting too hot. I have been up to 46 deg C batt temp so far before I realized that they were of the 40 deg C. Yes too cold I have heard about. Are the Mini 2 batteries also LiPo? Abvioulsy Aussidronepilot did not have any problems and did not mentioning anything about warnings.

I got that too warm warning once, but that was when trying to charge it.
It would not charge because of the high temp of the battery.
So I guess it can warn you about high temperature (if that is getting too hot) during flight.
I never got that one, just the 'too cold' one.

Yes https://store.dji.com/nl/product ... gent-flight-battery lipo is stated there.
2021-6-16
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Montfrooij Posted at 6-16 01:05
I got that too warm warning once, but that was when trying to charge it.
It would not charge because of the high temp of the battery.
So I guess it can warn you about high temperature (if that is getting too hot) during flight.

OK thanks, so we are talking same battery type. So now I can compare with what AussiDronePilot used. Yes, about charging too hot batteries I have read about and a warning. I was just so amassed to see the temperature up to 59 de C and the temperature above 40 deg C for about further 16 minutes.
2021-6-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyalami Posted at 6-16 01:33
OK thanks, so we are talking same battery type. So now I can compare with what AussiDronePilot used. Yes, about charging too hot batteries I have read about and a warning. I was just so amassed to see the temperature up to 59 de C and the temperature above 40 deg C for about further 16 minutes.

Yes indeed. Same type.
2021-6-16
Use props
ozoffi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Austria

If the remaining capacity display of the battery in the APP matches the capacity of the battery, I can see when it is running low, I also receive a warning and can react to it ....
Then where should the problem be?
2021-6-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have done a few shorter flights when temp was 107 F.  The drone and battery did not seem to be at issue but the mobile device heated up.  Opted to RTH and shortly after my mobile device shut down.  Thank goodness for RTH.  
2021-6-16
Use props
AussieDronePilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1942792 ft
Australia

kyalami Posted at 6-16 00:51

The only warning I got was “Battery power restricted. Aircraft performance decreased to ensure flight safety. Return to home promptly” at the 23 minutes 30 second mark (just as I was landing, motors off was at 23 minutes 36 seconds.

The flight was a test (on a large open field) to see how it would handle, not something I’d do normally. It was certainly a surprise to see just how hot the battery got, thankfully no lasting effects from the test.
2021-6-16
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

AussieDronePilot Posted at 6-16 06:53
The only warning I got was “Battery power restricted. Aircraft performance decreased to ensure flight safety. Return to home promptly” at the 23 minutes 30 second mark (just as I was landing, motors off was at 23 minutes 36 seconds.

The flight was a test (on a large open field) to see how it would handle, not something I’d do normally. It was certainly a surprise to see just how hot the battery got, thankfully no lasting effects from the test.

HI AussieDronePilot,
Thank you for this information. That is good that you have such warning, although I hope I never will hear it.  Now I will try to find out if the Mavic 2 Pro that I also gives this warning, as I have asked about this and no one seams to know about this, unless the Mavic 2 Pro just does not give a warning about the battery.
2021-6-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

kyalami Posted at 6-15 23:56
Thank you very much to show this video Stephen.

Hi there kyalami. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2021-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules