mini 2 drifting after nicking propellers while flying
3595 14 2021-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_OdLMlj61Pgx0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34790 ft
United States

So I nicked the props on one side of the drone last time i flew. Yesterday, it was dark outside when I tried to fly the mini 2, I quickly noticed the drone was drifting after take off and tried to sit it down. Unfortunately I hit some more stuff before it landed. I replaced 4 of the blades that I thought had any damage. Drone is still drifting after I changed the props out and I keep nicking more blades everytime I try to test.

I dont know what is going on. Even with a minor drift shouldnt the gyro within the drone maintain stability? Why is it drifting with such minior nicks to the blade?

I also read some where that mini 2 drift happens at night. Is that still the case with the latest version of the firmware?

Thanks,
Ken
2021-6-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Ken,

if you need help / advice ; best to upload your flightlog(s) for this issue.

use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
and post the uploaded link on here.

Or put a cloud-link to your log.

cheers
JJB
2021-6-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi, drifting was probably due to lack of hold through vision sensors, you said it was dark and flying in low light (Dark) can cause craft to drift, its most likely not the blades.

However crashing can cause IMU problems and re-calibration could help.
2021-6-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's not enough to say the drone is drifting.
Some details are needed.
How much, and what direction, etc?

I dont know what is going on. Even with a minor drift shouldnt the gyro within the drone maintain stability? Why is it drifting with such minior nicks to the blade?
Nicks in the propeller blades don't cause the drone to drift.
Drifting is due to a failure of horizontal position holding which comes from either GPS or VPS.

I keep nicking more blades everytime I try to test.
Simple ... don't fly somewhere that obstacles can nick the props.

2021-6-16
Use props
djiuser_OdLMlj61Pgx0
lvl.1
United States

Log # 1
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ZFPCV8XYURJ2UYIPFN6H

Log # 2

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/FCCNEUXSOG2PZRL6WKTS

doesnt seem to show anything or I dont know how to read it.

2021-6-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Log1

No GPS lock, only 6 satellites and zero for reception.
Short Flight in ATTI ofcourse, no vision  due to low light.
In the dark with good GPS reception a MINI2 will not drift, GPS will keep it in a stabilized hover if no RC stick inputs are given.
VPS vision does work if there is enough light and GPS not receiving.

Log2
Only 9 to 11 sats (wich is enough...), 4 for reception so HomePoint was set at 3.6s in flight.
But 2x warning "GPS signal weak. Positioning accuracy affected. Fly with caution"
So probably not stable in a hover flight, but flight only lasted not even 9 seconds....

So wait for enough satellites, get HP set in a free area, so GPS signals are not blocked.

PS  8 blades are the most important parts of a drone.....my advice is to fly only with non-damaged blades.
cheers
JJB

2021-6-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

"doesnt seem to show anything or I dont know how to read it. "

Phantomhelp cannot properly read the files but can provide a place to download your files. I guess members are telling you to upload there because it does not require a membership (free) to use as does airdata.com. For your own use I recommend airdata.com for now.
2021-6-16
Use props
Muzazah
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I saw the comment from hallmark007 and tried to fly again during daytime. Everything worked fine and no drifting. So it looks like it was related to the dark because the location where I take off from has been the same in over 30 previous flights. It was pretty dark last night when I was trying to take off, that was the only difference.

I didnt know that the mini 2 requires light in order to stay stable during take off. Lesson learned. Also updated to new firmware since it was related so all good. Thanks for all the quick responses once again. I am learning new things everyday about this drone.

I am planning on taking it to Hawaii in a few week and looking forward to capturing amazing memories.

Ken
2021-6-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Muzazah Posted at 6-16 18:00
Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I saw the comment from hallmark007 and tried to fly again during daytime. Everything worked fine and no drifting. So it looks like it was related to the dark because the location where I take off from has been the same in over 30 previous flights. It was pretty dark last night when I was trying to take off, that was the only difference.

I didnt know that the mini 2 requires light in order to stay stable during take off. Lesson learned. Also updated to new firmware since it was related so all good. Thanks for all the quick responses once again. I am learning new things everyday about this drone.

"I didnt know that the mini 2 requires light in order to stay stable during take off."

It needs lighted conditions or GPS to maintain position. Light provides fine positioning at heights under about 30 feet and GPS provides rough positioning. I have flown at night many times and I have to keep in mind that without the light, the drone will wander a bit even if the GPS is good. I once did a test of hovering accuracy at about 10 feet height at night with good GPS. I used a flashlight to light up the ground under the drone and the drone was more stable while using the flashlight.
2021-6-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Ken. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that the DJI Mini 2's downward vision system cannot work properly over surfaces that do not have clear pattern variations or there is weak light. The downward vision sensor cannot work properly in any of the following situations. Please operated the said DJI drone cautiously. Thank you.

2021-6-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Ken,

read #6

MINI does not need light to fly stable, as long as the GPS signals are enough and receiving.

As said in the first log your craft was flying in ATTI mode, because no GPS reception.
See your data in my chart.

PS  do not forget to check the compass heading in the FlyApp map view before takeoff!  This is, apart from waiting for enough sats, the most important check before starting a flight.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2021-6-16
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

I always use flashlight at night to light takeoff / landing area. I had no problems with this method, as long as I get enough satellites after takeoff.
2021-6-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When you replace the propellers you need to replace them in pairs that are matching in the plastic bags,  there's something about making sure they are from the same mould thats important.
2021-6-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So it looks like it was related to the dark because the location where I take off from has been the same in over 30 previous flights. It was pretty dark last night when I was trying to take off, that was the only difference.
I didnt know that the mini 2 requires light in order to stay stable during take off. Lesson learned.
It wasn't just dark that caused your issue.
Your drone has two systems to maintain horizontal position - GPS and VPS.
Either would have prevented the drone from drifting.

But ....
Because you launched without waiting for satellites, you had no GPS
Because of the dark, you had no VPS.
And that's why your drone was drifting.

Also updated to new firmware since it was related so all good.
There was nothing about your issue related to firmware and updating made no difference.

2021-6-17
Use props
Muzazah
lvl.1
United States

Thanks all! Yes point taken I should have waited for more sats and good signal. Flashlight is a good tip to keep around when taking off at night.

Agreed the firmware wasn't related but it was a good to do.

2021-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules