DJI Mavic Mini 2 Bottom Mount Strobe Kit with Firehouse Technolog...
5649 16 2021-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

Does anyone have any experience or insight with this Firehouse Technology product?

I have seen drone strobe reviews and the Arc V light was one of the brightest tested.  It runs for 5 to 6 hours from a full charge  

Firehouse Technology claims that the raised mount does not affect the bottom vent airflow.  It also does not block the on/off button. They also say the mount acts as a landing skid.  It is made from flexible "Grey" PetG.

The strobe with the mount weigh in at 15 grams total.  I not worried about exceeding the 250 gram limit.

The two attached images are from the FirehouseTechnology.com website.

I have trouble seeing my Mini 2 at a distance and am hoping this will help.

Comments?

1.jpg
2.jpg
2021-6-17
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

The extra 15 g WILL exceed the 250 weight limit. I use this one - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06Z ... t_b_product_detailsI have no trouble seeing it at 6000 feet.
2021-6-17
Use props
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

I just recieved an email from Firehouse Technology and they said that the mount and light combined weigh 13 grams.  My drone weight 237 gms.  Totaled together they weigh 250 grams.  Even if was over 250 it would not be a problem.  

What caught my eye was how bright this strobe was and the mount allowed airflow from the bottom vents.

Regardless of the weight, what are anyone's thoughts on this product?

Thanks

2021-6-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

there are a ton of posts on here about strobes and mounts.  please check them, it will take you a week to read everything; that's how much info there is.

this is a drone, not an plane....airflow is not that big of a deal.  don't block the vents but really, it's not all that important for the recreational flyer.

as you mentioned, the 250g is not a law but please be prepared for everyone to offer comments and solutions strictly around the weight....which is irrelevant.

i have pretty much all the firehouse tech strobe lights.  personally i think it's overkill to put one arc v underneath.  a tiny dual is all you would have needed.  you don't need mounts, these aren't weapon systems.  simple velcro will work.  i have since went with sticking a couple of cheapo blinking lights using two sided tape; maybe a $1 a strobe.

so let's talk about visibility.  obviously you are talking about daytime because you can see any strobe at night at the nominal distances we typically fly the mini.  spoting a mini over a mile away is overrated.  yeah it's fun a time or two but who does that at night?  you said you were having trouble seeing the drone, how far?  using a strobe to keep vlos during the bright daylight is futile imho.
2021-6-17
Use props
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

I am totally aware of threads about strobes in this forum.  The Arc V is fairly new so I am after current knowledge.

I don't know where you are, but here in Canada the law of the land refers to a drone as a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System. Instructional drone documentation usually refer to these Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems as RPAS or aircraft.

The airflow from the bottom vents I was refering to was for cooling, venting from the two open ports on the front to the bottom vents.  Not the airflow over the drone's body.

RE: i have pretty much all the firehouse tech strobe lights.  So what is the difference in brightness between the Arc II and the Arc V?  Also, where have you put velcro on the bottom of the Mini 2 to attach the light with out interfering with anything.  I do not what the light one of the arms and I am not interested in buying two.  I do not want to buy a $1 toy strobe, I am after something super bright that will last. I am not talking about a lot of money here.

We Canadians are not aware that a 3D printed mount turns a Mini 2 into a weapon system.  Thanks for the heads up.

In distance I am talking about 500 feet max usually less and sometimes more.  There is a tall dense tree line and mountain in the background not just clear sky.  And yes I do plan flying at dusk or when it is darker down the road.  If I do, the light can be put onto the back of the drone with velcro.

Thanks for your message The Saint.  Your thoughts have been noted.
2021-6-17
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Ontario Drone Posted at 6-17 12:36
I am totally aware of threads about strobes in this forum.  The Arc V is fairly new so I am after current knowledge.

I don't know where you are, but here in Canada the law of the land refers to a drone as a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System. Instructional drone documentation usually refer to these Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems as RPAS or aircraft.

Per my previous post, you are familiar with the LED that I have, I have a small strip of Velcro on top, near the battery door and two very small strips along the vents on the bottom. I can mount either location or use my Ulanzi DR-02 with it. The lights DO aid daytime visibility, especially under a thousand feet. I have had zero problems with attachment coming loose.
2021-6-17
Use props
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

Hello Mobilehomer, can you tell me how big your strobe ids and what it weighs?  Knowing that I can visualize how you would mount it on the bottom with thin velcro strips.  Looks promising.  Any chance you could post an image of the bottom strips and then with the light attached.

Thanks for your response and ideas.
2021-6-17
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Ontario Drone Posted at 6-17 13:12
Hello Mobilehomer, can you tell me how big your strobe ids and what it weighs?  Knowing that I can visualize how you would mount it on the bottom with thin velcro strips.  Looks promising.  Any chance you could post an image of the bottom strips and then with the light attached.

I believe it weighs 3 grams. Check it with the link in my first reply.
20210617_171426.jpg
20210617_171437.jpg
2021-6-17
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Ontario Drone Posted at 6-17 13:12

Here is the top mount.
20210617_171927.jpg
20210617_171934.jpg
2021-6-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

sorry, i guess i'm not helping.  sorry about the sarcasm, apparently it didn't come off so well.  you have a couple of pics and ideas in the previous posts as suggestion which i would agree with.  i was overthinking as well and it's really this simple.  look at the pic in the last post of the underside....there are four rounds flat spots at the end of the arms...perfect for strobes.  my mini looks like a christmas three.
2021-6-17
Use props
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

Perfect Mobilehomer, thank you.  The looks very, very positive.

I have never ever purchased velcro.  Do I buy the general stuff or is there a better product that adheres better to the Mini.

Here is why I am asking.  In Canada there is a national organization  called Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) that one has to  join to become a member of a RC flying club.  It has three advantages to  join.  It speaks up for its members if the government is proposing  something stupid that could harm the hobby, it has a great insurance  policy and it gives its member an exemption (an agreement with Transport  Canada) from the required Transport Canada RPAS Basic or Advanced  Flying Certificate for drones over 250 grams.  MAAC wants you to label  the drone with you name, your MAAC number and their telephone as ID in  case you loose the drone or what ever.  Sorry about the long  preamble.  They give you a template to print off Avery Label sheets of a  certain size to get this done.  

The body of the Mini 2 is not shinny smooth, it is slightly  textured.  My Avery labels are constantly lifting.  I am stumped to how I  can get the label to permanently stick on. Hence the question about the  velcro.

Cheers,

Bill
2021-6-17
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Ontario Drone Posted at 6-17 15:01
Perfect Mobilehomer, thank you.  The looks very, very positive.

I have never ever purchased velcro.  Do I buy the general stuff or is there a better product that adheres better to the Mini.

I used a professional grade of Velcro from Walmart(not expensive) Have you thought of using a permanent marker?
2021-6-17
Use props
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

The template from MAAC makes it super neat and tidy, also professional. looking.  My next attempt will be removing that partially stuck down label, cleaning that area with absolute ethanol, putting on a fresh label and on top of that a piece of clear packing tape 1/8" larger than the label.

I will look for a roll of professional grade velcro at Walmart.

THANK YOU for all of your help Mobilehomer!  Problem solved.  I will order the light you mentioned tomorrow morning.
2021-6-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Ontario Drone. Good day and thank you for these information that you have given. Just a reminder that since this is a 3rd party accessory f( strobe light ) on your DJI drone. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use and we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2021-6-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have attached strobes to the front tops of my MA2 and M2P using simple Velcro strips and have frequently gone over 40 mph for several minutes with each, sometimes in windy conditions. No problem yet with anything coming off.
The strobes I use everyday are the low-power, 72-hour types for daytime flights. not so much to see the drone in flight but to find it later in the rough ;-).

2021-6-17
Use props
DJICinBrandon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 292133 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-17 11:29
i have since went with sticking a couple of cheapo blinking lights using two sided tape; maybe a $1 a strobe.

What $1 strobes are you using? I'm not trying to go over 400' or even 2000' feet a way. but some day time VLOS  assistance would be nice.
2021-11-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJICinBrandon Posted at 11-29 17:03
What $1 strobes are you using? I'm not trying to go over 400' or even 2000' feet a way. but some day time VLOS  assistance would be nice.

something like this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/324518242880
2021-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules