Where are my panoramas?
962 10 2021-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

I have had my Mini 2 for a few weeks now and hardly used it.. Every time I do, I always forget to try out the Panoramas and 360 mode.. Today I was just hovering above the house draining the batteries and trying the firmware and it was a good opportunity to try.

I first took what I thought was a 180, but the drone took photos from every direction.. Once it was done, I realised that I had set the 360 mode.. So I tried The 180 and the Wide option and it performed as I expected and took the required photos.

But now I am looking in the DJI Fly app and I can see my 360 (it has a little icon of a globe at the bottom left).. And its staggeringly amazing... For my first attempt its jaw dropping

But there is no sign of the 180s Panorama.. Does that not get stiched together in the app like the 360 does?

Whilst I am on the subject, I guess I have these photos in the DJI Fly app beacuse I have Sync enabled? If I didn't (and I am thinking of turning it off as I am getting too many app crashes for my taste and I believe this could be the cause)... If I turn it off, what then? I guess the photos will be on the memory card? But what about the 360? How does that get created if the photos are not on the phone?

Thanks for any clarity you can give.

Jon

2021-6-17
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I have looked at the SD card and have 3 folders under PANORAMA

The 1st has 26 photos which is clearly the 360
The 2nd has 7 which I guess is the the wide
The 3rd has 9 which I assume is the 180

So I have the photos I need for the 3 Panoramas.. But the remaining questions are

1. Why does the DJI Fly app show me the 360, but not the 180/Wide?
2. If I don't have Sync enabled and the photos are not on the Phone, how do I create the 360?

Thanks for any advice you can give
2021-6-17
Use props
tibzee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79616 ft
Switzerland

jweaver Posted at 6-17 09:13
I have looked at the SD card and have 3 folders under PANORAMA

The 1st has 26 photos which is clearly the 360

Hi,
all 3 types should be stitched and available in DJI Fly app (at least I had them on my iPhone AFAIR).
However, Fly app does only basic stitching and "pro" results require:
a) enabling RAW files (ie. DNG) files (4x more pixels then JPG)
b) 3rd party app on PC/Mac that can use all 26 DNGs and makes ~180Mpx 360deg panorama instead of a 8Mpix "preview" made by Fly app.

In other words: don't count too much on the Fly app capabilities in relation to its panorama features.

2021-6-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

tibzee Posted at 6-17 21:49
Hi,
all 3 types should be stitched and available in DJI Fly app (at least I had them on my iPhone AFAIR).
However, Fly app does only basic stitching and "pro" results require:

The DNG files have the same resolution as the JPEG files right?
(at least, the single shots that it saves on the SD)
2021-6-17
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

tibzee Posted at 6-17 21:49
Hi,
all 3 types should be stitched and available in DJI Fly app (at least I had them on my iPhone AFAIR).
However, Fly app does only basic stitching and "pro" results require:

Nothing like that happened for me.

On the phone I ended up with a 'stitched' 360, but no sign of the 180 or Wide.

On the SD card I ended up with 3 folders of JPGs under PANORAMAS but nothing stitched.

I don't mind using 3rd party tools to do the stitching, but I am a little confused why only the 360 was stitched, but there is no sign of the file anywhere other than in the DJI Fly app.

And I am still not clear what happens if I turn of caching so the files don't even end up on the phone.. Does any stitching happen then?

2021-6-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have sync turned off but still get the panos in the fly app.   If you sync photos from the app to the camera roll they loose the exif location data which I hate.
2021-6-18
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-18 00:40
I have sync turned off but still get the panos in the fly app.   If you sync photos from the app to the camera roll they loose the exif location data which I hate.

OK. Should I expect to have any "stitched" files on the SD card? Or do they only get stitched in the Fly app?

Its just odd that the 360 stitched perfectly.. But there is no sign of the 180 and Wide shots.. Not even the files.. According to the Fly app its like I never even took them..

I will try again with Sync off... I need to turn it off anyway, as my last 2 flights have both had crashes.. One where the image froze and then the app went black..

And then last night the image froze but everything else continued to work, so I had to "kill" the app and restart.

I read that Sync might be the cause ot this, so I need to try without.
2021-6-18
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

They will be only stiched in the Flyapp with a lower resolution.
If you want to get a fullsized version of the pano you need to use a 3rd party app.
2021-6-18
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

MySky Posted at 6-18 02:23
They will be only stiched in the Flyapp with a lower resolution.
If you want to get a fullsized version of the pano you need to use a 3rd party app.

Thanks.. That makes sense.. So I just have to work out now why I didn't get any stitched versions of my Wide and 180 panoramas.. Just because I am curious and am quite happy with a low res version for this kind of shot.

PS: What free apps do people generally use for stitching (Windows).. I read about a nice one the other day and even looked at the website.. But forgot what it was and didn't download it.

2021-6-18
Use props
tibzee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79616 ft
Switzerland

jweaver Posted at 6-18 02:32
Thanks.. That makes sense.. So I just have to work out now why I didn't get any stitched versions of my Wide and 180 panoramas.. Just because I am curious and am quite happy with a low res version for this kind of shot.

PS: What free apps do people generally use for stitching (Windows).. I read about a nice one the other day and even looked at the website.. But forgot what it was and didn't download it.

I know two free apps for Windows:
1) Hugin, but is far from easy and the results for me are not good enough.
2) Microsoft ICE, easier, faster, sometimes better than Hugin, but results were strange.
Unfortunately, good results require paid apps, but YMMV.
2021-6-18
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

tibzee Posted at 6-18 05:18
I know two free apps for Windows:
1) Hugin, but is far from easy and the results for me are not good enough.
2) Microsoft ICE, easier, faster, sometimes better than Hugin, but results were strange.

Cheers.. I have tracked down ICE.. Its gives 404 error when you try to download it from the MS website, but I found a copy...

I will also look at Hugin.. I am sure there was something discussed a few weeks back which looks excellent.. But I can't for the life of me remember what it was...

But ICE seems to work well for what I want.

Edit: Just went to the Hugin website and thats the one I was looking at last week.. So I didn't even need to ask.. Sorry

2021-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules