Smart Controller/Air 2S = DANGEROUS Behavior - No Left Stick
2103 24 2021-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422549 ft
United States

I was excited to see there was an update to the Smart Controller firmware to resolve all the issues being reported with the Air 2S however that excitement was short-lived.  After updating the Smart Controller firmware to v01.01.0058 and the Fly App to v1.4.2 I drove nearly an hour to go fly.  Less than 5 minutes into the flight I ran into trouble.  While attempting to descend I received the following warning: "Min flight altitude reached. Aircraft unable to continue descending".  Luckily, at the time I was only about 10 feet high at a distance of 45 feet.  

In addition to this warning the left stick would not respond to inputs to yaw left or right and of course would not descend.  It would however ascend and the right stick responded to inputs as expected.  Since the aircraft would not descend I was unable to land manually.  I made the decision to restart the controller which of course initiated RTH and thankfully resulted in a safe landing.  I then relaunched the aircraft to see if it would replicate the behavior experienced on the first flight and it did the exact same thing as seen on the first flight.  At this point, I called it a day and packed up.

This is my first drone and the experience to this point has been absolutely horrible.  All the issues experienced while flying the Air 2S with the Smart Controller have taken any potential enjoyment out of the equation.  At this point, I'm very uncomfortable attempting to fly this drone.  I'm asking that a DJI rep respond to this thread with a potential resolution as my Smart Controller and Air 2S are nothing more than expensive paperweights.  Based on the behavior exhibited today I obviously cannot fly this drone.  What are my options at this point?

MIN FLIGHT ALTITUDE REACHED.

MIN FLIGHT ALTITUDE REACHED.
2021-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I don’t think this is you SC thats causing your problems. Maybe post flight log it might show what’s going on, but it doesn’t sound like controller.
2021-6-17
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 10:41
I don’t think this is you SC thats causing your problems. Maybe post flight log it might show what’s going on, but it doesn’t sound like controller.

Like I mentioned this is my first drone so I'm not familiar with how to post a flight log.  Can maybe you or someone else walk me through it?  Thanks!
2021-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Chuck Campfield Posted at 6-17 10:53
Like I mentioned this is my first drone so I'm not familiar with how to post a flight log.  Can maybe you or someone else walk me through it?  Thanks!

If you just click on link below and follow instructions, and come back here and post your link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2021-6-17
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 12:04
If you just click on link below and follow instructions, and come back here and post your link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

The directions on that page don't look like anything I'm seeing on my end.  Is there perhaps a more up-to-date set of instructions I can refer to for getting this flight log file from my Smart Controller to my Mac (OS Big Sur)?  

The below screencap is what I'm seeing on the Smart Controller when I connect it to my Mac however when I tap on "CLOSE" there is no further prompt to direct any files to my Mac.  I also searched my Mac for any indication of the Smart Controller being connected and I couldn't find any devices connected.  I appreciate any further guidance you can provide.  Thanks!
2021-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Chuck Campfield Posted at 6-17 13:05
The directions on that page don't look like anything I'm seeing on my end.  Is there perhaps a more up-to-date set of instructions I can refer to for getting this flight log file from my Smart Controller to my Mac (OS Big Sur)?  

The below screencap is what I'm seeing on the Smart Controller when I connect it to my Mac however when I tap on "CLOSE" there is no further prompt to direct any files to my Mac.  I also searched my Mac for any indication of the Smart Controller being connected and I couldn't find any devices connected.  I appreciate any further guidance you can provide.  Thanks![view_image]

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

This is the link.
2021-6-17
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 14:23
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

This is the link.

I understand that is the link however what I'm saying is that what is described there is not what I'm seeing on my Smart Controller.  For example, on that page, it says: "For the Phantom 4 Adv/Pro + remote controller or DJI Smart Controller, connect your remote controller to a computer via a USB cable and go to DJI\dji.pilot.pad\FlightRecord. If needed, you can find detailed instructions here."
When I click the link for "detailed instructions here" it goes to this page: https://forum.phantomhelp.com/t/ ... o-your-computer/256  On this page the screencaps look nothing like what I'm seeing on my Smart Controller screen.

I really want to get this flight log file posted so that we can figure out what is going on with my Smart Controller or Air 2S as I obviously cannot fly it until this issue is resolved.  That being said, do you know of any more up-to-date instructions for getting the file from my Smart Controller to my Mac as instructions on that page are out of date and do not remotely resemble what I'm seeing on my Smart Controller.

Any help in getting this file transferred would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2021-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Chuck Campfield Posted at 6-17 14:43
I understand that is the link however what I'm saying is that what is described there is not what I'm seeing on my Smart Controller.  For example, on that page, it says: "For the Phantom 4 Adv/Pro + remote controller or DJI Smart Controller, connect your remote controller to a computer via a USB cable and go to DJI\dji.pilot.pad\FlightRecord. If needed, you can find detailed instructions here."
When I click the link for "detailed instructions here" it goes to this page: https://forum.phantomhelp.com/t/how-to-transfer-files-from-p4a-p4p-remote-controller-to-your-computer/256  On this page the screencaps look nothing like what I'm seeing on my Smart Controller screen.

You only need flight log from the craft, that log will give you all controller actions taken by you , you dont need log from controller.
2021-6-17
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 14:51
You only need flight log from the craft, that log will give you all controller actions taken by you , you dont need log from controller.

Ok, so then how do I get the flight log from the craft to my Mac?  Sorry, but I'm new to this so I honestly don't have a clue as to how to accomplish this.
2021-6-17
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

I've made some progress by downloading the Android File Transfer app to my Mac and connecting the Smart Controller.  I was able to access the Flight Record folder however it is only showing files that were recorded way back on 4/16/21.  I have nothing there from all the rest of my flights including today's.  I can see the flights from today on my Smart Controller on the Aircraft Logs page but they aren't showing up on the Flight Record folder.  Please see screencaps attached below:

2021-6-17
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

Can someone please assist me with getting my flight log off of my Smart Controller or aircraft?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
2021-6-18
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1059072 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try this....

https://www.heliguy.com/blogs/po ... rom-your-ios-device

2021-6-18
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-18 06:59
Try this....

https://www.heliguy.com/blogs/posts/how-to-get-your-dji-flight-logs-from-your-ios-device

Thanks, I'm running Big Sur which does not support iTunes.  That being said, I was able to browse to the Flight Records folder in Finder however as you can see the size of the Flight Records is only 24.6 MB so it obviously does not contain any flight records.  Also, if I attempt to open the folder it will not open so it's safe to say there are no files in the folder.  This is getting to be very frustrating, I've spent far more time trouble-shooting this drone/smart controller than I have flying it.  If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.  I know you have the smart controller, how do you get your files from the controller to your computer?

2021-6-18
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I think iTunes was renamed Music for Big Sur.... no guarantees...

2021-6-18
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-18 10:00
I think iTunes was renamed Music for Big Sur.... no guarantees...

Yes, it was reorganized and now the way to access files is by using Finder to select the iOS device and then browsing to files as I have done in the above screencap that I posted.  However, as you can see the FlightRecords folder is only 24.6 MB indicating that there are no actual flight logs in the folder.  Also, it's showing it was last updated June 1, 2021 which is inaccurate as I just synced it today.  Additionally, even if it was last updated June 1, 2021 there should be tons of flight logs in there from April 15, 2021 to June 1, 2021.  I'm really confused and I don't understand why I cannot access/transfer these flight logs to my computer.
2021-6-18
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Chuck Campfield Posted at 6-18 10:14
Yes, it was reorganized and now the way to access files is by using Finder to select the iOS device and then browsing to files as I have done in the above screencap that I posted.  However, as you can see the FlightRecords folder is only 24.6 MB indicating that there are no actual flight logs in the folder.  Also, it's showing it was last updated June 1, 2021 which is inaccurate as I just synced it today.  Additionally, even if it was last updated June 1, 2021 there should be tons of flight logs in there from April 15, 2021 to June 1, 2021.  I'm really confused and I don't understand why I cannot access/transfer these flight logs to my computer.

See if this helps...

2021-6-18
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

I really appreciate your help on this but I'm just not having any luck at all.  The video looked very promising so I followed along step-by-step however when I connected my Air 2S, I received the below error message stating: "Device Not Supported. Please download the correct DJI Assistant in the official website product page."  As you can see from the screencap I have downloaded the "DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic" so I'm not really sure what other software it would want me to download.  Man, this is really frustrating.  Again, I'm very appreciative of the help you're trying to provide!

EDIT: I see there is a separate version of Digital Assistant 2 for "Mavic Air". I'll try installing that now.

2021-6-18
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yes. You’ve got to have the right version. They have a few for different aircraft.
2021-6-18
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-18 15:56
Yes. You’ve got to have the right version. They have a few for different aircraft.

I'm just not having any luck at all with retrieving these flight logs.  I downloaded and installed the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series) and connected the Air 2S.  It was recognized by the software however when I attempted to use the "Log Export" function I received the following error message: "Failed to get log list. Retry".  I attempted to "Retry" several times however it continued to display the same error message.  Any other suggestions or ideas here?

2021-6-19
Use props
djiuser_CHdiYoV14lZ7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 584052 ft
Sweden

Chuck Campfield Posted at 6-19 10:06
I'm just not having any luck at all with retrieving these flight logs.  I downloaded and installed the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series) and connected the Air 2S.  It was recognized by the software however when I attempted to use the "Log Export" function I received the following error message: "Failed to get log list. Retry".  I attempted to "Retry" several times however it continued to display the same error message.  Any other suggestions or ideas here?

[view_image]

I dont Have a solution to your problem. But today when i was flying my air 2s it Have troubles to descend. It only descend 1-2 m every time i pull the left stick down. Used The RTH because i was over The sea and 100 m up. Will try it tomorow and se IF it behaves The same. Happy when it landed on land.
2021-8-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

The problem is that you have spotlight activated. There is a minimum altitude for that. Turn that off!!! Just use regular video or picture until you get a little stick-time under your belt!!
Oh yeah, RTFM
2021-8-13
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-13 12:32
The problem is that you have spotlight activated. There is a minimum altitude for that. Turn that off!!! Just use regular video or picture until you get a little stick-time under your belt!!
Oh yeah, RTFM

I think there's more to it than that.  I can understand why there may be a minimum altitude for spotlight however that wouldn't explain why I was unable to yaw to the left or right.
2021-8-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Chuck Campfield Posted at 8-13 14:49
I think there's more to it than that.  I can understand why there may be a minimum altitude for spotlight however that wouldn't explain why I was unable to yaw to the left or right.

Give it a try
2021-8-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Chuck Campfield Posted at 8-13 14:49

Once you choose spotlight you have to engage it before you can move the drone. Again, turn it off and try again.
2021-8-13
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-13 18:26
Once you choose spotlight you have to engage it before you can move the drone. Again, turn it off and try again.

I’ll give it a shot next time I fly. Thanks for the suggestion.
2021-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules