Can I fly in this space?
496 6 2021-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kessler
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Got my Air 2s and eager to get out learning to fly it.
Not ideally, I live in Canary Wharf, London, so close to city airport.
I was trying to locate the nearest place where I can get it up in the air without any trouble.
The local park is big and early in the morning it is easy to stay 50m away from people. It has the following zones:

Located here:

From what I've read, warning zones are there to warn you, not prevent you from flying - specifically for Category D Airspace:

"If the flight involves this airspace, then the pilot must apply ahead of time for special permissions to fly if their drone is in the 7-20 kg category.  If your drone pilot is flying a drone that weighs under 7kg then these permissions aren’t necessary"

Same map just with no-fly zones:

As said, I just need a place to practice the controls but want to be absolutely sure I don't get in trouble - particularly now that they seem to be cracking down on drones in the uk
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57512513

2021-6-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. If you are planning to practice flying your unit, kindly please make sure to go to a location wherein there is no restricted zone on the map to avoid errors and you can fly it smoothly.  You can go to an open space with no possible interference. If you want to fly on that specific location, you need to unlock it and request permission to fly. You can send an email directly to our team at flysafe@dji.com. Thank you!
2021-6-18
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251762 ft
United Kingdom

Morning, yes you can fly in the zones but be careful, but unless you have done the A2CoC certification you can not fly in the city you are restricted to A3 areas which is open country side, the A1,A3 online test will not allow you to fly a 595g drone anywhere in London.
2021-6-18
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
United Kingdom

So it is only the red zones you cannot fly in without permission from CAA for the grey they will have altitude limits and blue you can request to fly us DJI app.
2021-6-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need to stay away from people/building/structures etc by at least 150m - I think thats going to be near impossible in that location.    Mini 2 can fly there no issues though due to the 250g unclassified loop hole it currently sits in.
2021-6-19
Use props
Kessler
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Captain Dangerous Posted at 6-18 21:54
Morning, yes you can fly in the zones but be careful, but unless you have done the A2CoC certification you can not fly in the city you are restricted to A3 areas which is open country side, the A1,A3 online test will not allow you to fly a 595g drone anywhere in London.

Thanks for the advice.
So to sum up, I need the A2CoC to fly in the city even if I find a park that seems to have a 150m range to the nearest building.
In the UK, without the C rating, the Air2s and all other non C classified drones will be illegal to fly less than 150m to buildings even with the A2CoC certificate, correct?
2021-6-21
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Kessler Posted at 6-21 01:09
Thanks for the advice.
So to sum up, I need the A2CoC to fly in the city even if I find a park that seems to have a 150m range to the nearest building.
In the UK, without the C rating, the Air2s and all other non C classified drones will be illegal to fly less than 150m to buildings even with the A2CoC certificate, correct?

So with the A2CoC you can fly the A2S down to 50m from uninvolved people.

Without the A2CoC its A3 only that wide open countryside, parks are classed as recreational and therefore  fall into the A2CoC group or A1 if your drone fits the under 250g group.

So basically to fly a current A2S in the UK inside a city you need the A2CoC.

It’s a pretty easy course, mine cost me £99 including the exam.
2021-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules