959 6 2021-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
manz187
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15866 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't used my focus motor since the most recent firmware updates. It's incredibly loud - when it's plugged in, when it's in use, after movement has occurred. In all those situations. Something has clearly gone wrong with it, and seeing as though I havent used it in a while, it's never been dropped, etc, possilbly firmware related?
Still under warranty - I was told by engineers this is normal. This sound that ruins videos is normal!? Offensive. Can't believe they told me that with a straight face.

They told me to turn the dial slower WHAT

Before you commit 1000s to this brand like i have, bear in mind this is what you might get when you need their help.
"The motor contains mechanical structures. And there must be a sound. According to the video you shall, we believe the sound is normal, generated by the motor. To lower the sound, please try to adjust the front dial slowly."

lol @ turn the dial more slowly

[color=var(--ytcp-call-to-action)]

2021-6-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi manz187, I am sorry to hear about your issue. May I double confirm if the issue only occurs after the update and do you remember the previous firmware version? I will confirm this again with our engineers, will get back to you once I hear back from them.
2021-6-18
Use props
manz187
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 6-18 19:18
Hi manz187, I am sorry to hear about your issue. May I double confirm if the issue only occurs after the update and do you remember the previous firmware version? I will confirm this again with our engineers, will get back to you once I hear back from them.

Susan, I really appreciate you trying to help me.

This issue was never present prior to me trying the motor out this week. The last I had used it was a few months ago (ive been using prime lenses, auto focus only). The only thing that's changed on my end is the firmware, from what I can tell. So maybe it's the firmware, maybe not. A quick search through these and Reddit forums shows others have had this problem. Some went back to old firmware. I'm currently on 1.03.00.50 for the gimbal and 1.60 for the focus motor.

As soon as you plug in the focus motor, you can hear (and feel) the motor whirring. It was silent always. After about 15 seconds of plugging the motor in, the sounds and whirring stop. As soon as touch the dial, the noises return and stay until about 15 seconds after you last touched the dial. That is not normal  
2021-6-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

manz187 Posted at 6-19 02:10
Susan, I really appreciate you trying to help me.

This issue was never present prior to me trying the motor out this week. The last I had used it was a few months ago (ive been using prime lenses, auto focus only). The only thing that's changed on my end is the firmware, from what I can tell. So maybe it's the firmware, maybe not. A quick search through these and Reddit forums shows others have had this problem. Some went back to old firmware. I'm currently on 1.03.00.50 for the gimbal and 1.60 for the focus motor.

Thank you for the additional information, I am checking this with our engineers. Once there is an update, I will get back to you. I have at the same time sent you PMs, please check and keep us updated.
2021-6-19
Use props
manz187
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

For the good of all, going to update my progress within this thread.

I did the following downgrades -

First, gimbal to 1.02.00.30 from 1.02.00.50. That took the motor from 1.6 to 1.1. No change. Motor still extremely loud when in use, when first plugged in, and for 15 seconds after an adjustment is made using the dial.

Second downgrade was to 1.02.00.10. This took the motor from 1.1 to 1.0. Motor is quiet again.

So we have some obvious problems here.

One, DJI has been told this is an issue but not enough people have complained about it so resources have not been dedicated to resolving it.
Two, downgrading the gimbal FW and/or the motor is not ideal. Take massive steps back in FW to make the motor even usable is just not acceptable.

2021-6-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

manz187 Posted at 6-19 05:32
For the good of all, going to update my progress within this thread.

I did the following downgrades -

Hi, thank you for verifying, I understand your case. I had noted the case and had asked the engineers to confirm it.
2021-6-23
Use props
Gearonimo
lvl.2
Switzerland

It's end of 2023 and the DJI focus motors are still very loud. I use the new 2022 version in conjunction with Lidar, Transmission and Cable Hub (NO Gimbal). It will be picked up by any on cam mic easily.

I think the transmission system and Lidar AF are absolutely stunning, a total game changer. The following issues are where the system falls a bit short IMHO:

- Focus motor is too loud.
- Focus pull is WAY too quick (using Transmission, Cable Hub, Ronin 4D Handle and 2022 Motor). On the High Bright Monitor, I set the Tracking Sensitivity (i.e.drive speed) to 1. In my opinion, this speed should be the middle ground. It still racks focus too quickly. Setting 5 is just plain nuts and nearly broke my Rig....
- When using Transmission+CableHub without the Ronin Gimbal, the AF Flex Setting does not allow me to actually set a ROI. Which renders is pointless I guess. This would be a really awesome upgrade to happen ;)

Otherwise: really, really strong ecosystem! Almost seamlessly brings together my Ronin 4D with my other cine cams.
2023-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules