Batteries won't charge.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
barrykap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I wonder if anyone can help.

I have just won a DJI Phantom 3 Professional kit from our local auctions. This is complete as far as I can see with additional bits like props and a spare battery.  All in a real nice backpack case and everything looks brand new. The item was sold as seen with no guarrantee working but I took a chance and got it for just over £200

I first tried the spare battery (not connected to the drone) by pressing the button for 5 secs as instructed in the manual. But nothing happened.

I put it on charge and left it a few hours but every time I checked it, it was completely dead. The charger seems to be OK and registered 17V no-load  I then switched the other battery on which was already plugged in the drone and it briefly registered one green LED which indicated it was nearly exhausted, so I put this one on the charger and pressed the button for 5 secs and it registered the one green LED then went off. Since then it has been like the other battery. Totally unresponsive. Nothing at all when I press the button. So it seems like both batteries may be dead. But can't understand why this last one died so quickly after showing signs of use, when put on charge.

Can anyone give any advice on this?

Many thanks.

Barry
2021-6-19
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

Good price for a complete system even if you have to fork out for a new battery.
If the batteries have been left a long time and gone below minimum voltage it's probable that they're knackered.
However, put them somewhere on charge for 24 hours - I put mine on the metal table of my band saw when charging. You just might rescue one.
2021-6-19
Use props
barrykap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks. I was rather expecting someone to say they are knackered. But will try your suggestion. never know.   I can get one from MPB for about £35 if these won't recover. Cheers.
2021-6-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. The proper way to turn on the battery is by pressing it twice, one short press and one long press (hold the power button till it turns on). Also, if you already manage to turn on the battery, kindly please try to leave the said batteries on the charger for approximately 2-3 hours to see if there would be some changes? If you could provide us a sample video showing the issue that would be a great help for us to further isolate this issue. Please keep us posted. Thank you!
2021-6-19
Use props
barrykap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi DJI Paladin
Thanks for your advice. I cannot get either battery to turn on after following your advice. I left one on charge this morning for  four and a half hours, but still nothing at all.
It does seem like both batteries are dead.
I've again checked the charger output and it is registering 17.2V on my Avo. This seems to be working OK.
If you could definitely confirm that both batteries could be dead I will see about getting a new one.
Many thanks.

Barry
2021-6-20
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

THISA might help.........
2021-6-20
Use props
barrykap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks Cheddar-man.

I have just sent a request to the auction room for a refund as it was described in their catalogue as  the Professional version. I have discovered it is the STANDARD version which of course is not 4K and does not have the better features that the Pro has. I am hoping to be able to return it for a refund. If not, I will definitely try your suggestion and then can sell this one to buy the Pro version. Many thanks.

Barry
2021-6-20
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Ah, good point, miss representation!! Should get your money back. Good luck.
2021-6-20
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Just as a matter of interest, plug your AVO into the two big battery connector slots and try turning he battery on by pressing the "ON" button twice, holding it pressed the second time.
Do you get any voltage showing?
2021-6-20
Use props
barrykap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Nope.  I had actually tried that before, but ust did it again as didn't switch it on before. But still zero. Not even a slight meter movement. Could it be the circuitry?
Won't concerne me really if it is going back, hopefully. Cheers
2021-6-20
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I guess the cells are totally flat and therefore not even enough juice there to turn the pack on.
It's very important with LiPo's to regularly charge them when left for any period of time.
I check mine every couple of weeks if not being flown and so far so good from 2015!!
2021-6-20
Use props
barrykap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yes that sounds right. If by any chance the auctioneer won't take this drone back and I am stuck with it, I will do more to see if I can get the batteries going again. But until I know I can't mess about with them just yet. Will keep you informed. Cheers.
2021-6-20
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Good luck mate, hope you get your refund!!
Accessing the individual cells is a bit tricky, involving the removal of the top cap and then using a hot knife to split the casing open.
Not for the feint hearted
2021-6-20
Use props
barrykap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Well, didn't get my refund as they said it was not specified as being the Phantom Professional model but that it was intended for professionals! Load of.. yes wasn't it?  But they offered to refund my buyers fees and to re-auction it free. So I said just give me the fee refund and I'll sell it myself. So am attempting to try fix one of the batteries but am stuck after getting the top off was faced with what seems like a sealed case. You mention a 'hot knife' Is this to split the case by melting along the join?  Cheers if you can help further.
2021-6-21
Use props
barrykap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Finally solved it. I bought a second hand one from mpb for £31. Does the job fine. My attempts at 'dismantling' the faulty batteries were heading for a mangled mess of plastic that wasn't going to fit in the drone.
2021-6-27
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Great stuff barrykap, ready to go!
No don't bother messing with the duff batteries now that you know they're stuffed, there are some nasty things in LiPos and potential fire risks.
Do a full battery check on the one you bought, detailed in the manual I think, all about pressing buttons in different sequences.
2021-6-27
Use props
barrykap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks.  Will do.
2021-6-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

barrykap Posted at 6-27 06:21
Finally solved it. I bought a second hand one from mpb for £31. Does the job fine. My attempts at 'dismantling' the faulty batteries were heading for a mangled mess of plastic that wasn't going to fit in the drone.

Hi, Barrykap. Sorry for the late response We're glad that your unit is now working with your new battery. Please note to Dispose the defective battery in specific recycling boxes only after a complete discharge. Do not place the battery in regular trash containers. Strictly follow your local regulations regarding the disposal and recycling of batteries. Thank you!
2021-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules