Saint Bernard Brewery
910 15 2021-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
K-Castello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2790305 ft
Belgium

In the early 1900s, the Trappists fled from the Catsberg (Mont des Cats) to Watou. They moved into the 'Patershof' farm (also known as 'Courtewyle'), a stone's throw from the current brewery. The farm was renamed 'Réfuge de Notre Dame de St.Bernard'. Réfuge is the French word for a place of refuge. The reason for their move? In France they had to pay taxes on their revenues and in Belgium this was not yet the case. The clergy will make cheese.
During these years attitudes towards the clergy in France improved. The Fathers of Mont Des Cats decided to withdraw their activities from Belgium and return to France. The cheese factory was taken over by Evariste Deconinck. Later the Réfuge was sold to the CPAS of Bruges.
During these years, Deconinck continued to build the cheese factory from the current guesthouse 'Brouwershuis' on the Trappistenweg. The cheese was sold under the brand name 'St.Bernard Watou' and 'Port Salut de Watou'.
Shortly after the Second World War, Evariste Deconinck was asked by the Trappists of Westvleteren to commercialize and brew their Trappist beers under license. The original license agreement was signed for a period of 30 years. The brewmaster Mathieu Szafranski (of Polish descent) moved with him and, in addition to the know-how, also brought the recipes and the famous St.Sixtus yeast. A new brewery was built next to the cheese factory. In 1959 the cheese dairy was sold, or at least the installation and the brand name were left to the St. Bertinus dairy in Poperinge, which later merged into the Elvapo group. In 1986, Belgomilk took over these activities. In the early 1960s, the husband of Bernadette Deconinck (daughter of Evariste), Guy Claus, entered the brewery and renegotiations were made with Westvleteren Abbey to renew the license agreement. This happened in 1962 for a new period of 30 years, so until 1992.
The agreement came to an end in 1992 because the Trappist breweries had decided to grant the "Authentic Trappist Beer" qualification only to beers brewed within the walls of the abbeys. From then on, the beers were sold under the brand name 'St.Bernardus'. Furthermore, this period was mainly one of uncertainty and a rather difficult quest to make a good restart of the brewery under the new brand name.
In 1998 Hans Depypere took over the brewery. Slowly but steadily Hans put the brewery back on track. Under his rule, the brewery has evolved from a few thousand hectoliters to approximately 40,000 hectoliters in sales in twenty years' time (2017). A great deal of investment was required for this, with the provisional end point being the opening of a completely new wing in 2018, with space for additional warehouses, a new brewery shop, party, conference and seminar rooms, new reception area for the brewery tours and, last but not least, to top it all off an impressive 360° rooftop bar annex tasting room, with the eloquent name 'Bar Bernard'.

2021-6-20
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great views of the brewery and the surrounding hop fields. It would be handy to live nearby
2021-6-20
Use props
K-Castello
lvl.4
Belgium

Blériot53 Posted at 6-20 05:27
Great views of the brewery and the surrounding hop fields. It would be handy to live nearby

I live 7 kilometers from there, and about 10 from the Sint Sixtus abbey (Westvleteren)
2021-6-20
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

K-Castello Posted at 6-20 05:34
I live 7 kilometers from there, and about 10 from the Sint Sixtus abbey (Westvleteren)

Still within easy reach
2021-6-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice info and video!
2021-6-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    Now how do we get free samples?
2021-6-20
Use props
K-Castello
lvl.4
Belgium

DAFlys Posted at 6-20 23:54
Nicely done.    Now how do we get free samples?

if you visit, with a tour of the brewery you get tokens. The first tasting was a new beer, a kind of light blond beer, another token was of your choice, and another token was a gift: four bottles with the drinking glass.
2021-6-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

K-Castello Posted at 6-21 02:35
if you visit, with a tour of the brewery you get tokens. The first tasting was a new beer, a kind of light blond beer, another token was of your choice, and another token was a gift: four bottles with the drinking glass.

I like Belgium beer,  its a shame we cannot travel,   many a times Ive popped over to Bruge for lunch and a stroll,  with the tunnel its very doable.
2021-6-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beautiful views.  Great background information.  
2021-6-21
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Great job
2021-6-21
Use props
K-Castello
lvl.4
Belgium

DAFlys Posted at 6-21 02:55
I like Belgium beer,  its a shame we cannot travel,   many a times Ive popped over to Bruge for lunch and a stroll,  with the tunnel its very doable.

It should gradually improve. Also want to relive a weekend in London. Enjoyed it 3 years ago, and a great hotel on shoreditch
2021-6-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We really appreciate you for sharing this astonishing footage that you had captured. Thank you for your support and happy flying!
2021-6-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

K-Castello Posted at 6-21 13:30
It should gradually improve. Also want to relive a weekend in London. Enjoyed it 3 years ago, and a great hotel on shoreditch

Shoreditch is getting very trendy,  we have a relative thats actually retired there from the countryside.  We dont get it but they love all the bars/restaurants etc.
2021-6-21
Use props
K-Castello
lvl.4
Belgium

DAFlys Posted at 6-21 22:50
Shoreditch is getting very trendy,  we have a relative thats actually retired there from the countryside.  We dont get it but they love all the bars/restaurants etc.

I also like trendy cities, but would never want to live there again. i like the countryside too much. have already visited many cities such as london, amsterdam, rome, paris, barcelona, ​​etc, but in my leave there must also be flat land, usually i find it in france too. The Alps, which is not really flat land, was great for me. I will definitely return to that point between Italy, Switzerland and France (Region Mont Blanc), and with the dog, it is also its natural habitat.
2021-6-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

K-Castello Posted at 6-22 01:09
I also like trendy cities, but would never want to live there again. i like the countryside too much. have already visited many cities such as london, amsterdam, rome, paris, barcelona, ​​etc, but in my leave there must also be flat land, usually i find it in france too. The Alps, which is not really flat land, was great for me. I will definitely return to that point between Italy, Switzerland and France (Region Mont Blanc), and with the dog, it is also its natural habitat.

Im totally with you on that one,  we dont understand why he's doing the reverse.
2021-6-22
Use props
K-Castello
lvl.4
Belgium

DAFlys Posted at 6-22 03:08
Im totally with you on that one,  we dont understand why he's doing the reverse.

This is of course strange.
2021-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules