Very fast descent during RTH
1061 14 2021-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rpguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5738396 ft
United States

Flying the Air 2S, and the drone was in RTH mode to land. From approx. 373FT. The drone gained descent speed to 13.4MPH, and never slowed down. Thank goodness i  was watching it, and had my finger  on the cancel button. I stopped the RTH at about 20Feet, and landed it  manually. In watching the screen recording of the event, the Air 2S  never slowed down at all. I had 16% battery and 22 GPS Sats when the  descent started. Landed the drone with 12% battery  remaining. Compass and IMU Normal.
First time this has happened. (I am working with DJI support on this issue/question)

Also had an issue after  cancelling the RTH. The sticks are not responsive or overly responsive.  Just touching them can cause the drone to move 3-4 feet.

Judging how fast the Air 2S was coming down in front of me I was not willing to take the risk of it hitting the driveway. I don't think this is normal behavior.

2021-6-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oops.
That was quick.
2021-6-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

If you like post the flightlog on here, use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
or just post a cloud-link to the log for this flight.

Mayby the log will tell more what happend....

cheers
JJB
2021-6-20
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251762 ft
United Kingdom

That’s a scary experience, seems way too fast on the decent, do you think it’s because the battery was low?
2021-6-20
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251762 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry another thought 13.4 mph is 6m/s which is the max descent rate of the A2S so this is normal max speed.
2021-6-20
Use props
rpguy
lvl.3
United States

JJB* Posted at 6-20 10:31
Hi,

If you like post the flightlog on here, use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Thanks jjB. Trying to understand the flight log. Looks like there is 7 items listed in the log. As I move across the grey shaded line, the green dot on the line corresponds to an item listed in sequence. Not sure what this information is telling me. Here is a snapshot :

2021-6-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

rpguy Posted at 6-20 11:19
Thanks jjB. Trying to understand the flight log. Looks like there is 7 items listed in the log. As I move across the grey shaded line, the green dot on the line corresponds to an item listed in sequence. Not sure what this information is telling me. Here is a snapshot :

could you post the link to the log,  so i can put data into my own analysis program
The moment while landing and the drone gets into VPS height sensor range, the decsent is slowed down to zero at 0.5 meter VPS height.
So if this sensor fails it will drop into the ground.....

cheers
JJB
2021-6-20
Use props
rpguy
lvl.3
United States

JJB* Posted at 6-20 11:22
could you post the link to the log,  so i can put data into my own analysis program

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrbje9 ... 0-59-36%5D.txt?dl=0
2021-6-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Had a look, your MA2s descended with a speed down of 6 m/s, that in the specs!

VPS height sensor started to see the surface beneath only at 8.1 meter, so after this your MA2s should slow down to zero speed down at 0.5 meter.
See my chart. (btw  skip the NoControlDown remarks, shoud not be in there)

But exact at this point you cancelled the landing....btw  good action to take over control if you do not trust what you are seeing....

VPS botom sensor should see the surface below bit earlier, but that is ofcourse depending on the texture of the ground.

Try this, hover at 30 meters, full down in sport mode and keep the stick down all the time. See that the drone is slowing down and come to a stop at 0.5 meters. After short moment at 0.5 mtr it will autoland.
PS warning "Remote controller signal weak. Adjust remote controller antennas" already at 750 meters away from HomePoint, flying at 113 meters height. Not that good for a MA2s.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2021-6-20
Use props
rpguy
lvl.3
United States

JJB* Posted at 6-20 11:39
Hi,

Had a look, your MA2s descended with a speed down of 6 m/s, that in the specs!

Thanks jjB. I appreciate you taking a closer look.

I flew the Air 2S again shortly after this flight(new battery).
This time the Air 2S slowed down at about 140FT

The above landing has been typical behavior of my Air 2S.
But when it came roaring down and not stopping I hit the cancel button. Had never seen it do that before. Wasn't going to take that chance.
2021-6-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

rpguy Posted at 6-20 11:47
Thanks jjB. I appreciate you taking a closer look.

I flew the Air 2S again shortly after this flight(new battery).

better value ; 140 feet to slow down....

In the specs 2 values are there, 30 and 60 meters (times 3 for feet approx)

so 6 m/s down is normal (and does look fast), keep eye on slowing down always.

If the bottom sensor fails  it will hit the ground hard!

Many happy landing,
cheers
JJB
2021-6-20
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

"If the bottom sensor fails  it will hit the ground hard!"

That is why I would have positioned the landing mat on the grass instead of the pavement and at least 10 feet away if possible.
2021-6-20
Use props
rpguy
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-20 19:12
"If the bottom sensor fails  it will hit the ground hard!"

That is why I would have positioned the landing mat on the grass instead of the pavement and at least 10 feet away if possible.

Thank you - appreciate everyone's help and advice
2021-6-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad you were able to take control as quick as you did.  Hopefully, no issues in the future with VPS bottom  sensor.
2021-6-21
Use props
sduck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

I always cancel RTH, and do it manually. Unless you're in some kind of weird situation that's out of your control, I would think one would want to avoid using RTH.
2021-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules