DNG (RAW) just 960x720 Pixels?
4195 5 2021-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

I found a strange problem with my Osmo Action.

When shooting photos, the .JPG is the expected 4000x3000 Pixels big, but the .DNG photo is just 960x720.

Why is that? Do I miss something?

sample

sample
2021-6-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I believe the dimension windows show you is of the preview image and not the actual image,  open it in a editor and check the properties there.
2021-6-21
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

DAFlys Posted at 6-21 23:18
I believe the dimension windows show you is of the preview image and not the actual image,  open it in a editor and check the properties there.

Ah, you're right. When opening it in an editing Software (Capture One), it is 4000x3000. Very strange that the Windows Photo Viewer only shows the small version and not the full....
2021-6-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mizzu. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused before and it is good to know that after following the instructions given by DAFlys on post #2 the issue was rectified. Keep filming and have a nice day.
2021-6-22
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

It is RAW file without actual resolution. RAW file can contain some kind preview image or not image at all. Since the point is that it contain the RAW data what lens / sersor is capturing you have to produce the image by yourself using program that knows how to read RAW data. Then you export a new file like JPEG or something else.

Earlier Windows was unable to even open some RAW files. Even today CR3 RAW files needs external driver to install that Windows can recognise the file.

DNG is actually "open" RAW format but it is still developed by Adobe.

Google it what magic you can do using raw data
2021-6-22
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

Aavalaakso Posted at 6-22 21:43
It is RAW file without actual resolution. RAW file can contain some kind preview image or not image at all. Since the point is that it contain the RAW data what lens / sersor is capturing you have to produce the image by yourself using program that knows how to read RAW data. Then you export a new file like JPEG or something else.

Earlier Windows was unable to even open some RAW files. Even today CR3 RAW files needs external driver to install that Windows can recognise the file.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I'm a photographer, I'm used to RAW files, nothing better on this planet.
I was just confused since the RAW Files of my Sony Camera are displayed correct in the file-info and are also opened in full resolution when opening it with the Windows Viewer. Not just the Thumbnail-Version like with the Osmo Files.
Seems like a DNG-specific "problem".
2021-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules