1932 29 2021-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeffbake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 955587 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly my mavic 2 pro directly above my house at an altitude of 250’ to take timelapse videos of clouds, sunrise/sunset. Even at this short distance I always get weak signal warnings when it’s dark but never when it’s light out.
I’m using the Smart Controller with the current firmware installed on it and on the drone. The antenna is in an optimal position so that doesn’t seem to be a factor and there are no obstacles. GPS signal reads strong. The only variable is the amount of light.From the attached image, you can see that the drone is not far away and the signal strength is not weak according to icon.
Should I ignore these warnings?
Update: I tried flying at a different location at dusk and encountered the same weak signal notification behavior. It only happens in low light/night situations as far as I can tell.

IMG_0164.jpg
2021-6-21
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Just a note that this post is now in the correct product forum.
2021-6-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you got a screen shot of the error message or post a log here http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/
2021-6-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

1.  Day/night makes no difference to the signal strength.
Your observations are purely coincidence.

2.  Flying straight up above yourself is the most difficult angle to maintain strong signal because of the antenna geometry and the higher you go, the worse it gets.
2021-6-22
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251762 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-22 00:48

Do you have or neighbours have things that use RF only at night, like remote lights, wireless video cameras etc that could cause interference
2021-6-22
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Or short wave operators? Any strange/funny looking antenna around?
2021-6-22
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Flycaster Posted at 6-22 04:59
Or short wave operators? Any strange/funny looking antenna around?

Thats a great point on the short wave operators and easy to spot with the drone!!
2021-6-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there jeffbake. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to fly your DJI Mavic 2 Pro to a different location with the same time ( after sunset ) and lighting condition to see if the issue will persists and for us to be able to isolate the said issue. Kindly please keep us posted and thank you.
2021-6-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Captain Dangerous Posted at 6-22 13:10
Thats a great point on the short wave operators and easy to spot with the drone!!

Not really, amateur radio operators use entirely different frequencies to those used for model radio control. The more likely scenario is that people come home at that time and start using the home WiFi services.
2021-6-22
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-21 23:20
Have you got a screen shot of the error message or post a log here http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/
Only happens at night/dusk/dawn. I’ll try from my work about 5 miles away as a second test. No loss of signal strength is showing on the screen either.
2E295283-B169-4F56-B2E1-8F8C4C9951E0.jpeg
DA335A27-9F4F-474D-80E0-D21CE4F0F3A1.jpeg
2021-6-23
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I did manage to complete a course lock timelapse despite the  constant signal  warnings and the indicator on the screen doesn’t show a decrease in signal strength.
3AB84801-52E1-4409-9702-CCACD15F1913.jpeg
2021-6-23
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Captain Dangerous Posted at 6-22 04:54
Do you have or neighbours have things that use RF only at night, like remote lights, wireless video cameras etc that could cause interference

I’m at least a half acre away from another house. Nothing different comes on at night in my house.
2021-6-24
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-22 00:48

I would agree but I fly straight up all the time in daylight without any signal warnings.
2021-6-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jeffbake Posted at 6-24 08:34
I would agree but I fly straight up all the time in daylight without any signal warnings.

Test for yourself.
Next time you fly straight up and get a weak signal warning, try flying out away from directly above yourself and see what difference that makes.

And don't confuse interference with a weak signal as some here are doing.
If the controller detects interference, it tells you of interference.
If it's telling you about a weak signal, that's what the issue is.

2021-6-24
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-24 16:20
Test for yourself.
Next time you fly straight up and get a weak signal warning, try flying out away from directly above yourself and see what difference that makes.

Agree there is a difference but interference can cause a weak signal.
2021-6-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Captain Dangerous Posted at 6-25 02:40

And if interference was an issue, you'd see a message saying that.
Since you didn't see a message about interference, it's one of signal strength.

Next time you run into it under those circumstances, do a little testing.
2021-6-25
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-21 23:20

I get an error message when I try to access the log from the mavic when using DJI Assistant. Should I get the log from the smart controller instead?
2021-6-25
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-24 16:20
Test for yourself.

I'm posting here because I have been trying to diagnose the issue for a while with several tests. Many of my timelapse flights include waypoint and course lock which would put the drone away from directly above and still get the warnings only at night. I test using directly above to reduce variables.
2021-6-25
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-22 21:19
Hello there jeffbake. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to fly your DJI Mavic 2 Pro to a different location with the same time ( after sunset ) and lighting condition to see if the issue will persists and for us to be able to isolate the said issue. Kindly please keep us posted and thank you.

Hi, I tried flying from a new location last night to capture the full moon and encountered the same signal warning message on the smart controller. It seems to be an issue related to available lights as far as I can tell.
2021-6-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jeffbake Posted at 6-25 08:35
Hi, I tried flying from a new location last night to capture the full moon and encountered the same signal warning message on the smart controller. It seems to be an issue related to available lights as far as I can tell.

The app will give you a notification if available light is unsuitable for obstacle avoidance.
Obviously you would get that message if you fly at night.

That's quite different from a warning of low signal strength.
Which is it?
2021-6-25
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-25 15:15
The app will give you a notification if available light is unsuitable for obstacle avoidance.
Obviously you would get that message if you fly at night.

Its a weak signal warning not the low light obstacle avoidance notifications which I would expect at night. The weak signal warnings only in low light are what’s  weird.
2021-6-27
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

jeffbake Posted at 6-23 18:26
Only happens at night/dusk/dawn. I’ll try from my work about 5 miles away as a second test. No loss of signal strength is showing on the screen either.[Image]

Same behavior from another location (athletic field 5 miles from my home). Low light weak signal warnings that don’t happen during daylight flight using the smart controller.
2021-6-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jeffbake Posted at 6-27 11:11
Same behavior from another location (athletic field 5 miles from my home). Low light weak signal warnings that don’t happen during daylight flight using the smart controller.

Low light weak signal warnings ?
Is it a low light warning or a weak signal strength warning?
Or a weird combination?
Is this a couple of hundred feet straight above you?
Did you try flying a couple of hundred feet out to see if that made any difference?

2021-6-27
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Looking at your telemetry, there should be no warning!!! You have five full bars of signal, you are not directly below the drone(D -360 ft, H - 250 ft) I would contact DJI about a replacement. The display tells the story. Low signal warning with FULL signal strength. Something is not right with the controller.
2021-6-28
Use props
djiuser_ns92u9mbr5WV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2480472 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jeff, I experience your exact same problem. I receive weak signal messages with full bars in hyperlapse mode, but only at night. I go straight up and do hover hyperlapses but never receive these warnings during daytime. I have received these warning from several locations only at night. I wondered what is causing this myself but wasn't concerned as no problems with the flights.

2021-6-29
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_ns92u9mbr5WV Posted at 6-29 21:52
Jeff, I experience your exact same problem. I receive weak signal messages with full bars in hyperlapse mode, but only at night. I go straight up and do hover hyperlapses but never receive these warnings during daytime. I have received these warning from several locations only at night. I wondered what is causing this myself but wasn't concerned as no problems with the flights.

[view_image]

Thanks. Glad to see it’s not just me.
2021-6-30
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

It looks like the recent latest smart controller firmware update has fixed the nighttime weak signal message. Still testing but I have not seen it since the update.
2021-7-19
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

United States

it might be a software error where the engineer had a fat finger. Check your flight log to see If there were any signal errors, If not then simply ignore those messages.
2021-7-19
Use props
Rodney C
New

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2021-6-22 21:19

Mine mini 4 pro is showing the same message after i reach 1 kilometer , no mather the direction
2-18 21:32
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Rodney C Posted at 2-18 21:32
Mine mini 4 pro is showing the same message after i reach 1 kilometer , no mather the direction

Hi there. Sorry about the trouble Please check the procedures below and see if it will help ( Feel free to skip steps if  was already done ):
1. Check the aircraft image transmission distance in your country.
2. Check if the aircraft firmware, remote controller firmware, and app versions are the latest. If not, please update the firmware to the latest versions first.
3. Check the remote controller antenna position. Please place your remote controller antenna in the optimal position.

4. Keep note of tree and house obstructions near the flying field. After flying for a period, note the obstruction near the horizontal line to ensure that there are no visible obstructions in the aircraft's direction.
5. Check whether there is significant interference in the flight environment. Please turn on the Image Transmission Settings to check the real-time channel quality. Or provide a screenshot or a recorded video for us to see significant interference. If the interference is significant, we recommend changing the flight environment. Common electromagnetic interference sources include but are not limited to Wi-Fi hotspots, routers, Bluetooth devices, high-voltage power lines, high-voltage transmission stations, mobile phone base stations, and television broadcasting towers.
Please keep us posted. Have a great day.
2-18 21:40
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules