Smart Controller...Am I right about this???
767 6 2021-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lokinator1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 110092 ft

United States

I just got a smart controller 2 weeks ago for my Mavic Pro 2. It's going back today and let me tell you why I bought it and why I was disappointed. I have 3 other drones including a Parrot and a Phantom 3 PRO) and just recently purchased the Mavic Pro 2 with the standard controller. My initial thoughts were I liked the drone but thought the setup on the controller was a little disappointing, I really didn't like the way the cell phone connected to it via cable fed through the opening in the controller. I had it disconnect a few times and just thought it was poorly designed. I bought the smart controller thinking I would be able to get up in the air faster ( I shoot alot of Live events so speed is crucial) screens connected, better screen and very important the holder wasnt half blocking the controls (like accessing Cinema mode) on the edges of my S21 phone.

After multiple attempts to fly in various area's I could use the smart controller 1 out of 15 attempts including on my vacation this past week. The critical flaw in the smart controller is that unlocking the GEO fencing is impossible without a laptop and a cell phone with hotspot capabilities.

From what I have read you need to take a laptop with you connect to the DJI site ask for authorization through the laptop (Because the app isnt mobile friendly...if you request via the web). So you need to have the Mobile hotspot up, power up the laptop,  log on ask permission, download and it should fly according to what I saw on various forums, This sounds like way to much work - I did try multiple times to get it to preplan and the authorization never downloaded to the smart controller the way they said it should.

If you use the standard controller I have to accept the three boxes that say I am responsible and it goes immediately. If I am missing something or someone knows otherwise please let me know - as I see it if I use the smart controller, I need a laptop and a cell phone to get it to work a 100% of the time. This means lugging more equipment and more setup time or I just get used to the standard controller.

If someone can please educate me that would be great!!

Thanks
Bob

2021-6-21
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Am I right to assume you didn't have to worry about unlocking geo fencing with your parrot and phantom3 pro?
2021-6-21
Use props
Lokinator1
lvl.1

United States

The Parrot is my go to if I have Geo Fencing problems or need to do something that the DJI's cant do (like shooting up). The GEO fencing happened on the PRO 3 and the real reason I got the parrot and it has exceeded expectations except its a little too light and more a issue when its windy.

I did get to use the smart controller yesterday and it worked great but there were no Geo fence issues. I do not have the time to set up a laptop, mobile hotspot, request permission, download and then fly....just too much as it is a very run and gun scenario sometime multiple locations multiple miles away from each other.

It should be if you have a pilots lisc you can unlock all of this and the pilot is responsible. Period. The fact is I am am rarely going over 100 feet so there is virtually no chance of it hitting a plane...cause if the plane is only 100 feet above your head you have a lot more problems than the drone LOL!!

2021-6-28
Use props
Lokinator1
lvl.1

United States

I called DJI today I did capture a admittedly crappy video of what's happening. Basically says its unlocked but it will not take off. I tried atleast 10 times today various restarted etc. DJI says they are going to send me a fix by email....not sure how that will work but I shoot in 2 days and my guess is I wont be shooting with the smart controller.....if ANY one knows why it wont unlock I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide.
2021-7-1
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Is a bug, also have sent it to DJI but they have a crap DEV Department and fixing bugs is not their strong point (see also Custom Mode sticks on SC that Moderators lies continuously from 6 months that will be fixed).

The only way to unlock is to send your approvals to them by Site with the SN of your controller and they send you the unlocking to load it in your remote.
The stupid thing is that if you work with 2 controllers (one normal and one SC), you will need 2 approvals as SN is different )))))))
Stupid of stupid of stupid.....
2021-7-2
Use props
Lokinator1
lvl.1

United States

So basically they lied to me and dont have a fix?? The not so funny part is this makes the smart controller virtually useless as a large portion of airspace is controlled at least my my house. I have a great idea...they should try to ramp the geo fencinging it shouldnt be CANT fly...it should be cant fly at this height here. The fact is my drone rarely does over 100 feet and more times than not its about 30 feet.
2021-7-2
Use props
MarkusZermatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84104 ft
Switzerland

I have my Smart Controller using the hotspot on my iPhone for unlocking a NFZ. Works fine for me.
2021-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules