Light painting with a mini 2?
3079 4 2021-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael2312
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to fit a Lume cube or similar to a mini 2 for light painting?
2021-6-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Michael2312. Good day and thank you for this inquiry. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Lume Cube  ) for your DJI Mini 2. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who owns the DJI Mini 2 and are using this accessory. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI Mini 2. There is a  possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use. In addition, using 3rd party accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI Mini 2 and can void the warranty as well. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-6-22
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Well, before you drop your money on a lume cube (I have 2 of them for my Mavic Pro) fine the weight of 1 cube, and simulate that weight/position on you AC, and see how it handles the load.
It WILL change how the AC "feels".....
2021-6-22
Use props
Michael2312
lvl.2
Germany

That's OK, it will be in an area where there are no other people present. Just can't seem to find a mount or anything anywhere.. May have to retrofit one myself
2021-6-24
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Thank you for mentioning light painting. I have been struggling to think of anything interesting to do with my drone, having photographed everything many times on the small island I live on.
This is the perfect idea for some creative photography.
Regarding the Cube. I cannot imagine this can produce enough light to illuminate a (near) distant scene. I base that statement on a stupid video I made where I flew my Mavic Pro up a very long tunnel. I bought relatively powerful, self powered lights that were supported on a frame I made. 2 lights forward and one pointing down, so I could land in the tunnel, if necessary. The downward sensor needs a lot of light for this.
At the end of the challenge, I also tried the lights out in my garden, late one night. See for yourself, at the end of the video.

What I would suggest is the purchase of a 3000 or more lumen torch so you can sweep the concentrated beam over the area you want to capture.
I have done this with a normal camera on a tripod and set up for a longish exposure at night.
The difference with the drone will be to hover in still air and take a series of stills with as long an exposure as the drone is capable of. Sweep the light around over the area of interest in an organised way so no part is over or under exposed. Combine the stills and see what needs to change.
For best effect and shortest exposure, you need to be close to the scene of interest so it is well lit. The drone can be way above and behind you.
A few trial shots will soon get you to the right manual settings.
Good luck and please show us how you got on.
2021-6-27
Use props
royeiror
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1679344 ft
Mexico

I use LED lights from ULANZI that aren't as good or expensive as the LumeCubes, I designed a mount for those lights and published it in Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4513288/files, You can search Thingiverse for mounts, if none that exist fits, you can remix the mount so it works for the LumeCube. I'll give it a go soon and let you guys know.
You can also Join a Facebook group that deals with Light Painting with drones https://www.facebook.com/groups/284362069157991
EDIT: I remixed a design that someone posted, here's the link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4907722
2021-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules