"Gimble Stuck" and "Gimble Motor Overload"
742 5 2021-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sensiblesnake
lvl.2

Bulgaria

Earlier today my gimble malfunctioned while the drone was doing an automatic RTH I initiated while it was in FPV mode. At the time I didn't realize what was happening, I thought maybe the signal was weak and the drone wasn't receiving the commands from the controller.  At the next flight I had a "gimble stuck" message on the app. I picked up the drone powered it off, inspected it and powered it back on and the message went away.  When flying a few minutes later I tried to do a panorama and the gimble got stuck again and this time I got a message about somethign like "motor overload".  I landed the drone, powered off and on again and the message went away and the flight completed without any more problems. I ran out of batteries.  My drone is brand new and it hasn't been crashed, damaged, dropped or even landed hard. Nothing that should have damaged it. I've kept it in the padded case with the gimble protector on when not in flight.  Is my brand new drone broken?  Do I have to return it?  I'm going away for a few days on vacation and really want to have the drone for the trip and not have it fail. Any recommendations what to do?
Also, seperate question - previously my drone tried to emergency land when I think it was actually supposed to return home. Someone said there is a way to check flight data to detemrine why it tried to emergency land instead of return home. How do I check that data?
2021-6-22
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1786919 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have had the stuck gimble warning before.  I powered off the drone and moved the gimble around by hand, then powered back on.   Not sure what your situation is, or if it had anything to do with FPV.

To check your flight data, I use:  https://airdata.com/  There are instructions on the site.  Basically, your controller records the data, you allow airdata to upload the details through their app "HD Sync", or do it manually on their site after downloading the data from your phone.  There is quite a lot of information, and fun to look through.
2021-6-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there sensiblesnake. Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. Kindly please try to calibrate the said DJI Drone to see if still the issue will persist. If the issue still persist it would be best to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support and send the drone in for further assessment. Thank you.
2021-6-22
Use props
sensiblesnake
lvl.2

Bulgaria

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-22 19:27
Hello there sensiblesnake. Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. Kindly please try to calibrate the said DJI Drone to see if still the issue will persist. If the issue still persist it would be best to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support and send the drone in for further assessment. Thank you.

Do you have a how to on 'calibration'?  Thanks.
2021-6-23
Use props
sensiblesnake
lvl.2

Bulgaria

smbishop Posted at 6-22 14:37
I have had the stuck gimble warning before.  I powered off the drone and moved the gimble around by hand, then powered back on.   Not sure what your situation is, or if it had anything to do with FPV.

To check your flight data, I use:  https://airdata.com/  There are instructions on the site.  Basically, your controller records the data, you allow airdata to upload the details through their app "HD Sync", or do it manually on their site after downloading the data from your phone.  There is quite a lot of information, and fun to look through.

Are there any other options? I can't use airdata because they never send me an activation e-mail.  I am not sure how to extract the logs.  On the memory card there are no text files but I have fc_log.log camera_log.log and linux_log.log.   Is there any way to extract logs from the phone app? Phantom Help (https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/how-to-retrieve-dji-go-flight-logs-from-itunes.29) seems to work without an account but the instructions to retrieve the logs are not good. It refers to using iTunes but it seems like iTunes doesn't exist on the mac anymore. I don't have it on my mac and I can't find it in the App Store.
2021-6-23
Use props
sensiblesnake
lvl.2

Bulgaria

I figured out how to get the files.  I can't use airdata because they still don't send me any confirmation email. PhantomHelp's reader takes my log file but it doesn't give me any output.  I can play back the flight on the phone though. At 2:30 I see "Gimbal stuck. Check and ensure gimbal and can rotate freely." At 2:48 "Gimble motor overloaded" and "Control stick moved. Panorama stoped" followed by "Unable to use Pano. Check and try again".    On the first flight where the gimbal was stuck the first time there was no message about it.  Is there anywhere else I can crunch the logs for more data?

2021-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules