9643 16 2021-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tridiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4459344 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone know how to remove the 1330 foot height limit.  When flying up a mountain face, i can't go any higher than 1300'!  Thx. Bolton
2021-6-23
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is no way to remove it
2021-6-24
Use props
aem:kei
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1101624 ft
Austria

Tridiver, could not agree more, altitude should be measured above ground level, not above home point. I'm easily reaching 500m in the place where I live, always staying close to ground in totally unpopulated but mindblowingly beautiful areas.

This request goes to you guys @DJI, this would be easy to do with some willingness !
2021-6-24
Use props
Steelart99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77936 ft

United States

I've made this exact same request in the past but it certainly bears repeating !!!  Mountain flying is great ... but aggravating when hitting the limit.  This should be an easy, easy, easy fix!!!
2021-6-24
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The problem is determining height above ground. To do it with GPS, that requires an accurate map of the terrain and pretty precise GPS altitude measurement at the aircraft. Otherwise you need some sort of Radar, or something, that can actually measure distance above ground in real time…..

If you think the drone is expensive and buggy now….

So, the likelihood of that is probably somewhere around zero…. The only thing they can do really is turn the limit off or raise it, and they’ll never do that either…..
2021-6-24
Use props
Tridiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4459344 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's just pushes me quicker to get into an FPV quad that is NOT geofenced!!!
2021-6-24
Use props
MoppelMat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139167 ft
Austria

yeah, the height limit is not what the law tells in my country. I am allowed to fly 120m above ground, so I am allowed to surf the mountains. But DJI blocks it. This is sad because my 7" DJI FPV quad mit DJI AU or Caddx Vista has no problem whatsoever to fly up there...

There should be a way to unlock it with the app connected to the googles, the same as there is a way to fly in restricted airspace if you unlock it with your phone and take full responsibility!
I see NO REASON why this should not be possible, too.
2021-6-24
Use props
Shadetail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 785125 ft
Croatia

Completely agree. Limits like these are for children, adults should have an option to take full responsibility, especially so as this feature prevents action that is legal and is an expected use case which makes perfect sense to do considering the nature of this product. If DJI didn't currently have a monopoly on this product, people would surely  be jumping ship to their competitor.
2021-6-25
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Shadetail Posted at 6-25 00:07
Completely agree. Limits like these are for children, adults should have an option to take full responsibility, especially so as this feature prevents action that is legal and is an expected use case which makes perfect sense to do considering the nature of this product. If DJI didn't currently have a monopoly on this product, people would surely  be jumping ship to their competitor.

They don't have a monopoly on FPV drones, DJI is late to the game on this one. There are literally hundreds of products to choose from.
2021-6-25
Use props
Shadetail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 785125 ft
Croatia

But none of those hundred products have any safety features such as pause, rth on signal loss, stabilized gps flying, motion controller flying, safe and easy to use batteries... these things add up to create a new type of product, a user experience that didn't exist prior to it, and that isn't found anywhere else, or is it? At least I am not aware of any alternatives. Any time I was surfing mountains and mountain would block my line of sight for a bit, drone would ascend until I would get my signal back and I was able to continue flying by just waiting a few seconds. I don't know of any other products that wouldn't just fall out of the sky and probably get lost forever in some unreachable ravine or crevice.
2021-6-26
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The only rationale I can think of for the height limit is as a safety feature in case of a flyaway. If the barometer and GPS are still working, I suppose a malfunctioning drone will be prevented from going into the stratosphere in a flyaway situation.

But I can't think of any other reason for this rather strange limitation. Horizontal distance being unlimited is just as "bad" as a safety issue by the same rationale, but that can be set in the settings.

Safety features are always a compromise, but they do two really really bad things: a) they interrupt and remove control of the aircraft from the pilot and b) they tend to work primarily when you don't want them to, and they tend not to work exactly when you really, desperately need them to. a) is extremely dangerous, moreso than even b) is. But both are exceedingly bad things, so you have to keep those in mind when you fly aircraft equipped with them like the FPV drone.

So what I do is I fly both. I have a FPV drone, but I also fly regular F4/F7 flight controller/Betaflight quads. Each for their respective advantages and disadvantages. The FPV drone doesn't check all the boxes that FPV pilots need, and it's questionable if it ever will....
2021-6-26
Use props
aem:kei
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1101624 ft
Austria

Cmon guys, let's be honest, the DJI FPV is a geat product for what it does. It's not an acro kwad like Mr.Steele is flying, and I would say never intended to be, but it's really good at the stuff it does.
However there should be a possibility to unlock AGL altitude, I see no reason whatsoever not to release this. Technically rather easy, no additional liability, added value,...

So, DJI, get it working!
2021-6-26
Use props
vyskocil
lvl.2
France

I very often reach that 500m limit when trying to record footage in the mountains and it is so frustrating when suddenly the drone stops and go to N mode !!!
This limit is not working at all in the mountains , if the drone take off from a summit and fly away, quickly it will be higher than 500 m over the ground but in this case there would be no warning !
I think DJI should allow to disable this "fake" limitation and allow the user to take its responsibility !
2021-6-28
Use props
Whoreable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1775299 ft
United States

You can fly up to a few hundred feet, or a thousand, land the drone in a safe spot on the mountain, take off again and youll have another 400 meter limit.
2021-7-11
Use props
Steelart99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77936 ft

United States

Whoreable Posted at 7-11 22:28
You can fly up to a few hundred feet, or a thousand, land the drone in a safe spot on the mountain, take off again and youll have another 400 meter limit.

Doing that resets the home point ... RTH (if needed or activated) would then return the drone to the second home point.  While a possible work around, this method has some "issues" for me due to accessibility on steep mountain slopes.
2021-7-12
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

Steelart99 Posted at 6-24 09:02
I've made this exact same request in the past but it certainly bears repeating !!!  Mountain flying is great ... but aggravating when hitting the limit.  This should be an easy, easy, easy fix!!!

Its a software thing so its definitely easy
2021-7-12
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

vyskocil Posted at 6-28 04:30
I very often reach that 500m limit when trying to record footage in the mountains and it is so frustrating when suddenly the drone stops and go to N mode !!!
This limit is not working at all in the mountains , if the drone take off from a summit and fly away, quickly it will be higher than 500 m over the ground but in this case there would be no warning !
I think DJI should allow to disable this "fake" limitation and allow the user to take its responsibility !

Completely agree with you!
2021-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules