Minimum Distances
808 7 2015-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ericrudd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133944 ft
United States

I'd be curious to hear what personal minimums you use when you fly. Distance from buildings, personal property, etc. Sorry, it's the private pilot in me talking.
2015-7-22
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

I just try not to crash in to anything ...

I know there will be some here soon enlighten you about the regulations we all have to abide ... but the regulations is mainly to protect "other people and their property".
This question is probably more about what is safe for your bird !?

For me this is different from location to location as it´s all about distance and speed and what you are able to tell about the distance to objects in the "field of depth".
Also, the main thing, is what level you are at as a pilot with the Inspire 1 equipment!
It´s also a matter of form ... some days I am an ACE at this and some days I probably should be better off grounded!

As of today I am more troubled about flying far away than I am flying close to the ground or to a tree ...

Mostly I fly where there is little or nothing I can crash in to ... but outside where I live there is a small park about 75 by 75 meters.

I don´t like it when "other people" get to close ... Especially if they are coming up on the side of me or behind me ...
This is why I draw an imaginary line about 5 meters in front of me parallel with my shoulders and I never fly pass this line!
How ever my flying style in this park is pretty aggressive (flying without the camera) and people seem to understand to keep their distance ...

I am usually all alone in this park but there is a sidewalk at the far end across from where I am standing ... and when somebody uses that sidewalk I just fly closer to my self and let them walk through ... mainly not to scare them !  
2015-7-22
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally, common sense is the theme. Myself, I mainly fly in large open areas. I am more comfortable with the practice and learning curve. If I start to draw a crowd it makes me uncomfortable and I land and leave. I have never had an incident of any type. One of my rules when flying with others is "do not talk to me while I am flying" you lose concentration and that is when disaster can and will strike. Practice, practice, and more practice! Also, never forget the factor of common sense and you will be fine.
2015-7-22
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

The Inspire 1 is mainly a flying tripod for taking pictures or capturing video ... and it´s way to costly (and potentially dangerous) to treat as a toy!
But ... it´s so much fun to fly with this thing so it is easy to forget!

When using it for "photography" there is mostly no reason to fly "very close" to anything (as I am not using it to do "inspection").   
2015-7-22
Use props
ericrudd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133944 ft
United States

Excellent thoughts.
2015-7-22
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

When flying close to buildings and structures you don't want to fly any closer than 2m as wind flowing over roof lines etc can create turbulence and disrupt the air flow.   

I had this today when flying just above the eves level of a roof and a gust took the aircraft closer to the roof pitch, so had to compensate immediately by increasing altitude and backing off away from the building.

So you need to have your brain engaged when flying close to buildings, be ready to react quickly and maintain a clear distance of 2m minimum.  Of course as mentioned above this also depends on experience and having the authorisation to fly over such buildings and structures from the legal owner.
2015-7-22
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Something I try to remind myself of every time i use the I1 ...

This is not a toy ... For me it is an investment that I don't take to much risk with ... All though I believe I have the skill to fly very close to any object ... I just don't!
I have toy quads to play with if I wanna "show off" ...
2015-7-23
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

In Australia it's easy as the guidelines are very clear - do not fly within 30 meters of buildings or people, don't fly over crowded beaches or sporting events.

I put my Inspire in harm's way as I like to fly over water and in close proximity to trees etc., but I take the public safety and property guidelines seriously.   I'm guilty of pushing the guidelines a bit, but you'll never see me in the middle of a city flying down the street.
2015-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules