Mini 2 video feed freezing in app, in flight
8237 29 2021-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_LvTCH4xZN3Z7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 254416 ft
United States

I am experiencing pretty regular "freezing" of the video feed while in flight. Meaning, at some random time in any give flight, the video being displayed on my phone will stop and remain frozen. If I force-quit the app and restart, the video feed restarts. When the video is frozen, all other flight information -- including the histogram, speed/distance, map view, etc. -- continues to display normally, and I have full control of the drone. It does not appear to be related to the SD card, as it happens when I am NOT capturing video. This leads me to believe it's an issue with the DJI Fly app itself.

I have DJI Fly version 1.4.4 on Android 11, using a Pixel 3XL. The aircraft has the latest firmware. I have tried quitting all apps before flying, and it still happens. Just wondering if others are seeing this and/or if it is a known bug that DJI will address.

TIA
2021-6-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Fly application from this DJI link ( https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly ) to see if the issue will still persist? Thank you
2021-6-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

From your description, it appears your phone is not able to process the video fast enough, causing the freeze frames.
2021-6-28
Use props
Astrid55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30696 ft
Hong Kong

Which resolution you used when you are filming? You might as well change into another resolution and try to see whether it works well. It also can be brought up by the incompatibility. Or we can go back to the origin- signals. Moreover, have you stored the videos, in which recorded such scenes you said above. If you did it , have a check or post here to let the MOD better support you .
2021-6-28
Use props
djiuser_LvTCH4xZN3Z7
lvl.2
United States

Astrid55 Posted at 6-28 18:15
Which resolution you used when you are filming? You might as well change into another resolution and try to see whether it works well. It also can be brought up by the incompatibility. Or we can go back to the origin- signals. Moreover, have you stored the videos, in which recorded such scenes you said above. If you did it , have a check or post here to let the MOD better support you .

Thanks for your reply, but this is not happening when filming; it's just the video feed from the drone camera to the app in normal flight.
2021-6-28
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Try using 1.4.2 instead....
2021-6-28
Use props
djiuser_LvTCH4xZN3Z7
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-28 16:40
Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Fly application from this DJI link ( https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly ) to see if the issue will still persist? Thank you

Thanks, I will try that and see what happens.
2021-6-28
Use props
insider
lvl.3
Flight distance : 60515 ft
Ireland

I had to stop using my Pixel 3A. Worked fine with the App for Mavic Air. Worked fine with Mini 1. Kept on freezing on V 1.4.0 and 1.4.3(I think). Video at any resolution or multiple picture taking caused it to crash. Likely down to processing power but ultimately down to poor software implementation. Using a Samsung S8 with no issues now. Also - why is the app not available in the play store?
2021-6-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

djiuser_LvTCH4xZN3Z7 Posted at 6-28 18:56
Thanks, I will try that and see what happens.

Hi there. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. Kindly please keep us posted for us to be able to assist you further. Thank you and fly safe.
2021-6-29
Use props
djiuser_LvTCH4xZN3Z7
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-29 22:54
Hi there. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. Kindly please keep us posted for us to be able to assist you further. Thank you and fly safe.

Follow up:
I recently updated to DJI Fly 1.4.8 and the issue continues to happen. I also tried uninstalling 1.4.8 and reinstalling, but again, the issue continues. I also confirmed that even when the video feed to the app screen has stopped, the drone will capture video normally to the SD card.

Just to recap the issue, when flying the Mini 2, sometimes the video feed to my phone will stop/freeze, but all other controls and displays continue to function. In other words, the app itself does not freeze or crash, it's simply the live video feed that freezes.

Pixel 3XL, Android 11, DJI Fly 1.4.8
2021-7-4
Use props
Shirkaster
lvl.1
Flight distance : 146476 ft
Finland

I have the same issue with 1.4.8
Haven't had those issues before the update. Today had my first flight since the update and the app froze 3 times. I had to kill the app and start it again. I was not recording. It reconnected right after I started the app. My phone is
Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro 5G.

Edit:
My video doesn't freeze but the interface freezes. I see the video and I can control the drone, but I can't use any options.
2021-7-4
Use props
djiuser_AYyd06GHYErN
New
United States

I have the same problem with my mini 2. The picture freezes at random times in different locations, like at home, at a park, in a friend's yard. My phone is a Pixel 3 XL, which is supported. There aren't upgrades available for the firmware, which is at:
Aircraft: 01.03.0000
RC: 04.11.0016

I can't fly the drone out of visual range because I don't want to lose it. What can I do to fix this?

Update: I had version 1.4.4 of the Android App. I removed it and got the 1.4.8 apk from DJI. I'll see if it works better.
2021-7-4
Use props
djiuser_LvTCH4xZN3Z7
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_AYyd06GHYErN Posted at 7-4 10:01
I have the same problem with my mini 2. The picture freezes at random times in different locations, like at home, at a park, in a friend's yard. My phone is a Pixel 3 XL, which is supported. There aren't upgrades available for the firmware, which is at:
Aircraft: 01.03.0000
RC: 04.11.0016

If the video freezes, you can force quit the app and restart it. It sounds a little scary, but the controller doesn't lose contact with the drone so it's not really that risky. What is risky is that if you're flying around obstacles and the video freezes, you may not realize it for a few seconds and by that time you may have flown into something. So definitely would like to see this fixed; until then I am only flying in very open/clear areas.
2021-7-5
Use props
Frank Alonso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 785049 ft
United States

When this happens is your rc signal quality low?  I get choppy video whenever I send the drone out very far.  
2021-7-8
Use props
djiuser_LvTCH4xZN3Z7
lvl.2
United States

Frank Alonso Posted at 7-8 13:08
When this happens is your rc signal quality low?  I get choppy video whenever I send the drone out very far.

No. This is not a problem with the drone communicating to the RC. In fact the other day, I had it happen right before takeoff. I think it is a bug in the app itself.
2021-7-8
Use props
djiuser_Mc1eRw3MIrIb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25791 ft
India

djiuser_LvTCH4xZN3Z7 Posted at 7-8 13:44
No. This is not a problem with the drone communicating to the RC. In fact the other day, I had it happen right before takeoff. I think it is a bug in the app itself.

Yes, you are right I too have the same problem.. it is app bug…
2021-9-5
Use props
Malorie
lvl.1

United States

Same here. I have had my Mini2 for less than a week and the app has had the video freeze a half dozen times. I get a weird pixelation effect as it starts to freeze up. Then after it freezes up, I have no access to the app at all. I had it happen tonight just 10 feet away from me, so I know it isn't a signal issue. I force stopped the app and restarted it and all was well for the rest of the flight.

I am running a Galaxy S8+ and I updated all firmware when I activated the drone this past Sunday 9/12/21.
2021-9-15
Use props
RASemans
lvl.1
United States

I am having the same problem. Mini 2, Pixel 3XL.  Really gets in the way when you need to get video done quickly for work.  9/23/21
2021-9-23
Use props
Berty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 991706 ft
Mongolia

RASemans Posted at 9-23 09:44
I am having the same problem. Mini 2, Pixel 3XL.  Really gets in the way when you need to get video done quickly for work.  9/23/21

Same issue with Pixel 3. 1.4. app,1.4.8 and 1.4.8 (1185) The drone is essentially useless at this point.  I really regret buying it and the extra batteries.
2021-9-23
Use props
djiuser_XIckwKT3ZFES
New
Flight distance : 6804 ft
United States

Same here Pixel 3 with DJI Fly v1.4.8(1120-official), have flown 3 batteries and has happened on 2 of the flights. Just got my Mini 2 Yesterday. I have not been a fan of DJI and i finally decided to try it out and this the experience i get.... Not a good first impression at all.
2021-9-29
Use props
RASemans
lvl.1
United States

Posted a service request.  We will see if they post a reply. If so, I will copy to this thread.
2021-10-5
Use props
RASemans
lvl.1
United States

From DJI Support

If you are still using 1.4.8 (1120) try using 1.4.8 (1185). You can find out where to download it from by doing a quick search on this forum.
2021-10-5
Use props
Spudster17
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199810 ft
United States

Make sure nothing else is running on the phone (best if can get a phone that is only used for flying and not used for anything else.) Delete all unused apps. Reboot the phone right before using it. Turn on Airplane mode. Try a different USB cable.
2021-10-5
Use props
FlyBoy69
lvl.1

United States

I'm having the exact same problem with my Air2S and version 1.5.4 with my Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3.  I just got the drone and the phone is new and very powerful with 12gb of RAM and 512GB storage.  My first day using this drone and what a disappointment!  It froze on my first flight after 5 minutes and I couldn't get it to reconnect.  Tried closing the app, nothing worked.  I was recording and the recording continued, just the screen froze.  I had great reception and the drone was very close to me in flight.  I could still control the gimbal.  It's just a video feed software issue for sure.  I swapped batteries and it did it again after just a minute.  So after trying to get it to work for 30 minutes I gave up and went home with my shiny new paperweight.  What a junk app!  No wonder it's not in the play store to download like every legitimate app.  If I can't get this to work tomorrow it's going back.   
2021-12-12
Use props
Lyrade
New

France

Hey, i have the same issue here with my new Mini 2 received saturday, it worked the very first time inside my home but then outside (and back inside) the video freeze right on the lift-off. I'm using a Z Fold 3, i tried with my old S21 Ultra and this is working great, it's cleary a ...ty app compatibility issue with some phones. DJI support didn't help yet.

I was supposed to sell my S21 Ultra today so this is not a good situation for me...
Considering to buy a cheap phone waiting the app to get fixed but don't know which one.
2021-12-13
Use props
Lyrade
New

France

I found another topic with someone saying 1.4.8 version was working with a link to download. I agree, 1.4.8 is working with the Fold 3.
2021-12-14
Use props
FlyBoy69
lvl.1

United States

Lyrade Posted at 12-13 12:20
Hey, i have the same issue here with my new Mini 2 received saturday, it worked the very first time inside my home but then outside (and back inside) the video freeze right on the lift-off. I'm using a Z Fold 3, i tried with my old S21 Ultra and this is working great, it's cleary a ...ty app compatibility issue with some phones. DJI support didn't help yet.

I was supposed to sell my S21 Ultra today so this is not a good situation for me...

I dusted off an old Note 5 I had in a drawer and it worked perfectly with the RC.  So I know it's the RC to Z fold connection that's the problem for sure.
2021-12-15
Use props
FlyBoy69
lvl.1

United States

Lyrade Posted at 12-14 08:58
I found another topic with someone saying 1.4.8 version was working with a link to download. I agree, 1.4.8 is working with the Fold 3.

Do you have that link?
2021-12-15
Use props
DAYTONA392
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131942 ft
United States

FlyBoy69 Posted at 12-15 06:30
Do you have that link?

Try this link. Look for 1.4.8 (1185). Its been the best version for quite awhile. I wont do any firmware updates or app updates going forward. Everything works so im staying put.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1No6Y6900jugASpW_LB7UDL6GevH4WVg5
2021-12-15
Use props
FlyBoy69
lvl.1

United States

I upgraded to the latest software version when I saw it was available and I also changed to a longer cable and all is well now.  I burned through 3 batteries yesterday and I had no problems with my Z Fold 3.   
2021-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules