Mini Drone Floats
6285 13 2021-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Heading Unknown
lvl.2
Flight distance : 260735 ft
United States

In early June I lost my Mini 2 to the Monster in Table Rock Lake after taking off from our boat. She just went nuts and hit the water like an Apollo capsule...KERSPLASH! I wasn't able to recover the hull so I replaced her. I got my new Mini 2 in last Friday and attached a Mavic Mini/Mini 2 Drone Float Landing Gear,Water Extender Landing Leg Compatible with DJI Mavic Mini/Mini 2. I certainly have no intention of ever landing it on water but being able to retrieve the hull would be nice. One thing putting the float on the Mini 2 shortened my flight time to a bout 17 minutes and she visibly did not like much of a breeze.

Now, do the sensors on the Mini not like overflying water? Is there a way to set the home point as the remote controls location?

Thanks,
Heading Unknown
2021-6-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

after taking off from our boat. She just went nuts and hit the water
That sounds like you created a yaw error by launching from above or close to some steel or live electrics on the boat.
Hand launching and catching is the way to go when flying from a boat

One thing putting the float on the Mini 2 shortened my flight time to a bout 17 minutes and she visibly did not like much of a breeze.
Your floats are a significant handicap to the drone's flight and make it less able to deal with wind.

Now, do the sensors on the Mini not like overflying water?
The sensors don't like or dislike water, but they are not able to provide horizontal positioning as they do on land.
They may also give a false height reading over clear, shallow water.

Is there a way to set the home point as the remote controls location?
You can reset the home point to the current location of the controller.
But that is only good for where the controller was at the time.
It won't continue to update as you move around.

2021-6-28
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

And they WILL put you over the 250 gram limit, if that concerns you.
2021-6-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Heading Unknown. Good day, I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2 previously and thank you for these information that you have given. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Drone Float Landing Gear  ) for your DJI Drone. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who are using this accessory. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI Drone. There is a  possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use and can void the warranty of the said DJI Drone as well. Thank you.
2021-6-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you can post the flight log file, we may be able to tell if the crash was likely caused by compass error.

I used similar floats on one of my Mini 1 drones. The results were miserable in anything but still air. Your Mini 2 is a little more powerful but not much. I do not recommend those floats. For what it is worth and to provide a good laugh, here is a solution that does work better, not kidding. I flew this drone more than 5 miles over several flights with this thing on top, no issues.

2021-6-28
Use props
Heading Unknown
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-28 16:44
Hello there Heading Unknown. Good day, I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2 previously and thank you for these information that you have given. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Drone Float Landing Gear  ) for your DJI Drone. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who are using this accessory. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI Drone. There is a  possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use and can void the warranty of the said DJI Drone as well. Thank you.

Thank you Stephen. I didn't think about possible warranty issues. Looks like I will be taking my chances for boat pics. Thanks Heading Unknown.
2021-6-29
Use props
Heading Unknown
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-28 16:12
after taking off from our boat. She just went nuts and hit the water
That sounds like you created a yaw error by launching from above or close to some steel or live electrics on the boat.
Hand launching and catching is the way to go when flying from a boat

You may have hit on something. The Radar was operating when I took off and the antenna was about 4 feet from the drone as it left the boat.
2021-6-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Heading Unknown Posted at 6-29 03:09
You may have hit on something. The Radar was operating when I took off and the antenna was about 4 feet from the drone as it left the boat.

I was thinking of something much closer.
Did you launch from somewhere on the boat?
What's underneath or right next to the launch spot?
2021-6-29
Use props
Heading Unknown
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-29 04:26
I was thinking of something much closer.
Did you launch from somewhere on the boat?
What's underneath or right next to the launch spot?

I hand launched it from 3' from the radar arch. Twin engines operating just under me. Now I learn best not to launch while underway.
2021-6-29
Use props
Heading Unknown
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-28 16:44
Hello there Heading Unknown. Good day, I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2 previously and thank you for these information that you have given. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Drone Float Landing Gear  ) for your DJI Drone. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who are using this accessory. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI Drone. There is a  possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use and can void the warranty of the said DJI Drone as well. Thank you.

By taking my chances...I mean without the floats. It is just scary.
2021-6-29
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

I use one of these getter-backs, I attach it to the accessory that gives the drone skis, and elevates it.  Only draw-back is it requires about 10' of water to detonate.
https://amzn.to/3w2BMbn  
2021-6-29
Use props
Heading Unknown
lvl.2
United States

hunterws Posted at 6-29 12:36
I use one of these getter-backs, I attach it to the accessory that gives the drone skis, and elevates it.  Only draw-back is it requires about 10' of water to detonate.

How cool is that!
2021-6-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

hunterws Posted at 6-29 12:36
I use one of these getter-backs, I attach it to the accessory that gives the drone skis, and elevates it.  Only draw-back is it requires about 10' of water to detonate.

That's an interesting gadget.  Thanks for sharing.
2021-6-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Heading Unknown Posted at 6-29 03:07
Thank you Stephen. I didn't think about possible warranty issues. Looks like I will be taking my chances for boat pics. Thanks Heading Unknown.

Hi there Heading Unknown. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. If you have any other inquires or any concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules