7112 10 2021-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brennan323
lvl.1
Flight distance : 282795 ft
United States

Good afternoon friends,

Early next year I plan on flying to the west coast in the United States and I had a few questions / was wondering if anyone had any tips when it comes to transporting your drone while traveling. Also, I wanted to add that I will most likely be taking both my Mavic Air 2S and Mavic Mini 2 with me so any tips for both would be greatly appreciated. We generally fly American or United airlines depending on cost so any tips for traveling on those two airlines as well would be great!

2021-6-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

People travel with drones every day and it's not an issue.
Just make sure that the batteries are NOT in checked luggage and are in your carry-on luggage.

Ignore any suggestions about discharging batteries or buying special battery bags.
These are popular forum myths and are not required at all, despite the number of people that suggest them every time this is asked.

Here are the relevant guidelines, and the important section is Lithium Batteries.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/dangerous.html
https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/

It would be simpler to travel with just one drone system, one kind of battery and charger, but that's up to you.

2021-6-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

The "special battery bags" are not required..... but they can make the process safer. Considering how cheap they are, why not? When I gave my visiting step son my Mini 2 set with 3 batteries to take home with him on the plane last month, I also gave him a 3-battery fireproof bag. My step son told me that the TSA inspection gal noticed it in his carry-on luggage and gave him a thumbs up. I always try to stay on the good side of those folks. That may explain why I am, to my surprise, on permanent pre-check status now ;-)
2021-6-29
Use props
Brennan323
lvl.1
United States

I thank you both for the suggestions and even though it probably doesn't matter I'll still pick up a lipo bag they are $12 on Amazon at least from what I saw.
2021-6-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2021-6-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Brennan323. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The Battery Safe Bag offers reliable storage, and transportation for batteries. It can effectively mitigate damage from combustion, reducing the possibility of igniting surrounding objects. In addition, kindly please read through your airline's battery transportation regulations when traveling with LiPo batteries. For reference I will post a link where in you can learn about regulations for your specific airline ( https://www.dji.com/flyingtips/airlines ). Thank you.
2021-6-29
Use props
Brennan323
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-29 19:59
Hello there Brennan323. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The Battery Safe Bag offers reliable storage, and transportation for batteries. It can effectively mitigate damage from combustion, reducing the possibility of igniting surrounding objects. In addition, kindly please read through your airline's battery transportation regulations when traveling with LiPo batteries. For reference I will post a link where in you can learn about regulations for your specific airline ( https://www.dji.com/flyingtips/airlines ). Thank you.
Thank you for the information, would I probably classify both Air 2S and Mini 2 batteries as medium sized batteries according to the airline battery details? Just wondering because I have the fly more combo for both with the three batteries.
2021-6-29
Use props
Brennan323
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-29 16:46
People travel with drones every day and it's not an issue.
Just make sure that the batteries are NOT in checked luggage and are in your carry-on luggage.

We may end up just taking the Air 2S and I'll probably shove it into my carry-on. One of the drones is mine and the other is my dad's so I just decided to include both drones.
2021-6-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Brennan323 Posted at 6-29 23:11
Thank you for the information, would I probably classify both Air 2S and Mini 2 batteries as medium sized batteries according to the airline battery details? Just wondering because I have the fly more combo for both with the three batteries.

All Mavic batteries are less than 100Wh (the actual number is printed on the battery).
So they are classified as small.
2021-6-30
Use props
Brennan323
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-30 02:42
All Mavic batteries are less than 100Wh (the actual number is printed on the battery).
So they are classified as small.

Cool, thank you for clearing that up for me
2021-6-30
Use props
idragon
lvl.2

United States

I read this topic and it reminded me of when I decided to take a vacation and fly to Europe for a vacation and my Mavic mini 2 with me to make a small video clip for my traveling youtube channel. Actually, the trip was amazing since I traveled to all Mediterranean Europe countries and visited the most beautiful beaches of Greece and Spain. The only thing that upset me was the cancellation of my flight from Spain to Greece and I had to find a new ticket extremely fast. Thank god I know about euflightcompensation.com and I could get compensation so I got more money than I spent on the flight.
2022-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules