Best display for mini 2
9763 19 2021-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kSetuni
lvl.2
United States

Hello everyone,

I tried doing a search but got so many jumbled results that I had to give up.

I took my mini 2 out for the first flights today (thankfully before a heavy thunderstorm hit). I was using a Samsung Note 8 phone that Ive had for 4 years. The glare from glass screen protector is HORRIBLE in the sunlight. Plus I dont want to remove my phone from its case each time I want to go fly.

I've decided I want a dedicated device to use as a display for my drones (I plan on getting a larger drone too after I settle in with the mini 2 and I'm waiting to see what what DJI releases if the mavic 3 is a reality and the specs on it or others. The Air 2s looks interesting but Id rather have more sensors for obstacle avoidance)

Whats everyone using for their display? I prefer android devices vs apple especially with apples policies and confirmed ruining batteries of older devices to get people to buy new ones. I looked at the tripletek tablet and while it looks rugged and interesting I'm a bit hesitant with its pricepoint. Especially since I can get a new samsung S7 tablet for that price.
Thanks for the feedback.

2021-6-30
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

dji smart controller
2021-6-30
Use props
kSetuni
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-30 09:21
dji smart controller

If the display was on top vs the bottom Id consider it. However the design of the smart controller seems backwards to me. Plus Im having trouble understanding the allure of the smart controller when you can put a tablet on top of the current controller for less money.

What advantages, if any, is there for the smart controller? Then to have it obsolete when they make a new controller with a different communications system seems risky tbh.
2021-6-30
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

kSetuni Posted at 6-30 09:24
If the display was on top vs the bottom Id consider it. However the design of the smart controller seems backwards to me. Plus Im having trouble understanding the allure of the smart controller when you can put a tablet on top of the current controller for less money.

What advantages, if any, is there for the smart controller? Then to have it obsolete when they make a new controller with a different communications system seems risky tbh.

Many tablets will not work with the DJI fly app.
2021-6-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

There may be something wrong with your screen protector. The Note 8 reportedly has a screen brightness of 1200 nits. If that is true, it is one of the brightest stock devices available. Do you have it set to maximum brightness and not automatic?

http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/ ... go-updated-daily.18

You can get a mount extender that may allow the Note 8 cover to stay on and tilt it toward the operator. Add a sun screen shade and it may be tolerable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

2021-6-30
Use props
kSetuni
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-30 10:44
There may be something wrong with your screen protector. The Note 8 reportedly has a screen brightness of 1200 nits. If that is true, it is one of the brightest stock devices available. Do you have it set to maximum brightness and not automatic?

http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/ ... go-updated-daily.18

Yes brightness was full. The screen protector is a glass screen protector but its glossy. Its that glossyness thats causing all the glare and making it difficult to see the screen. Thats what baffles me with some of the devices designed for drones is most have glossy screens vs matte. Even kindle got it right knowing that glossy screens reflect light and make screens harder to see than matte screens.

Im seriously considering a tripletek pro or an upgraded galaxy tablet with a matte screen protector.
2021-6-30
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

kSetuni Posted at 6-30 11:28
Yes brightness was full. The screen protector is a glass screen protector but its glossy. Its that glossyness thats causing all the glare and making it difficult to see the screen. Thats what baffles me with some of the devices designed for drones is most have glossy screens vs matte. Even kindle got it right knowing that glossy screens reflect light and make screens harder to see than matte screens.

Im seriously considering a tripletek pro or an upgraded galaxy tablet with a matte screen protector.

have in mind that when charging phone gets warm, with warm weather it might get hot to the point where it throttles(and add to that mix brightness full max causing also heat and using the DJI Fly which also adds some strain to the processor and hence heating) and the first thing that happens is the display is beginning to dim to the point where it is almost black. Happened a lot with my S8+, note 8, some other samsungs... Even happens with now with the iPhone thanks to DJI dev's stupidity to introduce default charging to iPhone,
2021-6-30
Use props
kSetuni
lvl.2
United States

sbonev Posted at 6-30 13:18
have in mind that when charging phone gets warm, with warm weather it might get hot to the point where it throttles(and add to that mix brightness full max causing also heat and using the DJI Fly which also adds some strain to the processor and hence heating) and the first thing that happens is the display is beginning to dim to the point where it is almost black. Happened a lot with my S8+, note 8, some other samsungs... Even happens with now with the iPhone thanks to DJI dev's stupidity to introduce default charging to iPhone,

It was 73 degrees when I flew so heat wasnt an issue. Its the glare on the screen from the sunlight. Sadly its difficult to near impossible to find a matte screen protector for a Note 8.

Realistically I want a dedicated device to use with my drone flying not relying on my phone. Ideally I will have a larger display than the phone has. This is why I'm asking around before dropping some cash on something.
2021-6-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

kSetuni Posted at 6-30 13:24
It was 73 degrees when I flew so heat wasnt an issue. Its the glare on the screen from the sunlight. Sadly its difficult to near impossible to find a matte screen protector for a Note 8.

Realistically I want a dedicated device to use with my drone flying not relying on my phone. Ideally I will have a larger display than the phone has. This is why I'm asking around before dropping some cash on something.

" Sadly its difficult to near impossible to find a matte screen protector for a Note 8."

Only if you have to use a glass one:
https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Friendly-Coverage-Anti-Glare-Bubble-Free/dp/B072WC1MY2

https://www.amazon.com/ArmorSuit ... 81011_t5_B072WC1MY2

2021-6-30
Use props
kSetuni
lvl.2
United States

I'm also wanting a larger display than whats available via my phone. Plus a dedicated device to use with my drones so I can just grab and go with my drone case.
2021-6-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Do you have the Note 8 set to automatic brightness? If not, try that. What I read says it is best for use in bright sunlight, 1200 nits versus 490 in manual mode.

"Whats everyone using for their display?"
I am using an ASUS Z8s tablet but the maximum brightness is far below your Note 8 specs.

2021-6-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there kSetuni. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI Co pilots can give out what mobile device they are using on this scenario. In addition you may try using  the DJI RC-N1 Remote Controller Monitor Hood ( https://store.dji.com/product/ma ... roller-monitor-hood ) found on the DJI online store as well. The DJI RC-N1 Remote Controller Monitor Hood protects the smartphone screen in strong lighting conditions, reduces glare, and provides a clear image. Thank you.

2021-6-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6.  Display size is nice and brightness if great.  You can also add a sun hood if you desire.  Since going to a tablet I just can't go back down to a smaller phone screen.  Best of luck in upgrading.
2021-7-1
Use props
kSetuni
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-1 05:43
I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6.  Display size is nice and brightness if great.  You can also add a sun hood if you desire.  Since going to a tablet I just can't go back down to a smaller phone screen.  Best of luck in upgrading.

Thanks for the info, BTW love your avatar though I couldn't tell which carrier is depicted. It looks similar to a shot that we took when i was on the GW.
2021-7-1
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BROTECT ... ction/dp/B077GV4DBZ

I have these for my huawei mediapad m3,
No more glare.
2021-7-1
Use props
kSetuni
lvl.2
United States

After seeing a few videos from various sources I got the tripletek tablet and balfur mount for it. Empire drones was great with their customer service.
2021-7-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

kSetuni Posted at 7-1 08:48
Thanks for the info, BTW love your avatar though I couldn't tell which carrier is depicted. It looks similar to a shot that we took when i was on the GW.

You're very welcome.
2021-7-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

kSetuni Posted at 6-30 09:24
If the display was on top vs the bottom Id consider it. However the design of the smart controller seems backwards to me. Plus Im having trouble understanding the allure of the smart controller when you can put a tablet on top of the current controller for less money.

The smart controller is no joke.  It should come with yagi antennas.  W/o, you can lose signal even at 100m under very high interference.  With Yagis, I can maintain a good feed even 700m out.
2021-7-2
Use props
kSetuni
lvl.2
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 7-2 03:56
The smart controller is no joke.  It should come with yagi antennas.  W/o, you can lose signal even at 100m under very high interference.  With Yagis, I can maintain a good feed even 700m out.

After seeing this comparison of the tripletek tablet and the smart controller there is no way in the world Ill get a smart controller. Besides if they upgrade the controllers again then its obsolete. At least with using a tablet i can change it from drone to drone or run an autel should I choose to.

https://youtu.be/aPlelIhWE7g
2021-7-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

kSetuni Posted at 7-2 04:05
After seeing this comparison of the tripletek tablet and the smart controller there is no way in the world Ill get a smart controller. Besides if they upgrade the controllers again then its obsolete. At least with using a tablet i can change it from drone to drone or run an autel should I choose to.

https://youtu.be/aPlelIhWE7g

If you want but I prefer something that is ready to go.  I fly commercial missions and it performs as it should w/ the Mavic 2.
2021-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules