Update firmware for 3D focus module
2872 6 2021-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Darkender
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28304 ft
Spain

Please, I think it is time to update the firmware so we can tweak a little bit the settings of the 3D focus module.
There are some issues need to be addressed, like the focus sensitivity. Right now when the module misses the target it tries to focus again as fast as possible, and that causes camera shake so the shot ends up being unusable. This also means that if the subject leaves the frame there is no way to have a soft transition to the background, or if something gets between you and the subject the focus goes inmediatly to that object. You could add a menu with 3 options (slow, medium and fast responsiveness) and a custom one and maybe include it within each lens profile.

Secondly, according to the instructions the sensor should be mounted on top of the camera: I guess that if it is in the same plane as the sensor the results will be more accurate. Unfortunately many of us do not have room for it on top of the camera and/or need to use matte boxes that obsctruct it, so we mount it where we can: closer to the end of the lens next to the RavenEye, avobe or below the matte box... and I find that this messes things when you get closer that 1m. To solve this I propose a new "Offset" menu so we can specify the distance between the module and the sensor.

And lastly maybe it is a good idea to have another settings for an "Advanced Calibration mode" where you can add more callibration points and also introduce the minimum focusing distance for each lens so the gimbal has another reference point to create a more accurate focusing curve, specially when it gets closer.

What do you think?

2021-7-1
Use props
illuminatedRS
lvl.2

United States

I love these ideas - my main issue is that I can't put it anywhere when you have a raveneye  a great V-lock battery and the 3-D module on all at once.  even with say the tilta power pass-through module. for example
2021-7-7
Use props
Darkender
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28304 ft
Spain

illuminatedRS Posted at 7-7 14:44
I love these ideas - my main issue is that I can't put it anywhere when you have a raveneye  a great V-lock battery and the 3-D module on all at once.  even with say the tilta power pass-through module. for example

Wow, I could not run that setup one handed. I mounted my V-mount to the briefcase handle with a 1/4 to 1/4 thread and run a cable to power the pocket 6k from there, so I have one hand on the battery/tripod and other on the briefcase handle plus a shoulder strap.
2021-9-8
Use props
illuminatedRS
lvl.2

United States

keep in mind that the battery I'm talking about is not humongous or heavy I'm using the smaller lionAV nano one batteries is my plan
2021-9-8
Use props
dasdas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 302 ft

United States

Yes on all those points! I mount mine upside down close to the end of lense and also doubt that lenses focus is linear.
So, in my experince, 3D focus is at present little more than a toy.
Now I see that your suggestions were met with silence by the DJI devs and that silence has been going on for 5 month so my guess is that they *do* consider 3d focus as a toy or don't want to compete with the 4D by making this one usable in pro conditions.
2021-12-21
Use props
davidp158
lvl.1

United States

I would love to see this system updated so we have some control over changes in focus speed. Currently it can be quite jarring if your points of focus are far apart.
2022-2-1
Use props
tootansimooon
New

United Kingdom

I agree wholeheartedly with these ideas. I've had the same. Where is the DJI support? MIA as usual. Shame that they make good (albeit glitchy) products then shoot themselves in the foot with atrocious support. Imbecilic business practice.  
2023-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules