iOS DJI FlyApp 1.4.8 - Overheating iPhone11
1315 10 2021-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jefe-Part107
lvl.2
Flight distance : 165394 ft
United States

Others have observed that this new version of the FlyApp is causing the iPhone to overheat and dim the screen. Phones typically start cutting back features when overheating, and dimming the screen is the first step.

I confirmed this today in South Florida. I never had this issue prior to 1.4.8. My suspicion is the app has a flaw causing the processor of the iPhone to run too hard and overheat. At the same time, iPhone charging is automatic and not selectable, so charging will also add extra heat on top of the processor heat.

Jeff

2021-7-2
Use props
Cauffy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36752 ft
United Kingdom

I’ve got the same problem with my XS Max. Been fine until the latest app update. And why has the option to select if I want my phone to charge when connected. Never understand why DJI remove feature when they have been there for so long…
2021-7-2
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

The fact that DJI removed the option to charge or not is the reason I have not updated my app from 1.4.2 as yet until they give the option back.
@Dji Stephan, talk to your developers and get them to give this option back again. I am not happy
2021-7-2
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Vote here to get some action from Dji about this.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid2513733
2021-7-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive been getting the same since the charging option was forced upon us.    not happy when the screen starts dimming.
2021-7-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just seen there is a poll to ask for it back - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 6orderby%3Ddateline
2021-7-3
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Cauffy Posted at 7-2 13:05
I’ve got the same problem with my XS Max. Been fine until the latest app update. And why has the option to select if I want my phone to charge when connected. Never understand why DJI remove feature when they have been there for so long…

It was removed to make both iOS and Android apps identical. Android users kept asking for it and thinking it was missing by mistake.
2021-7-3
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229180 ft
Russia

Tuxtard Posted at 7-3 01:39
It was removed to make both iOS and Android apps identical. Android users kept asking for it and thinking it was missing by mistake.

There is no logic in that statement... although we are talking about DJI here, so anything's possible.

Being sarcastic, but all DJI had to do was put out an announcement telling the user to RTFM.

It's documented in the user manual as follows:

The remote controller automatically charges Android devices. For iOS devices, first make sure that charging is enabled in DJI Fly. Charging iOS devices is disabled by default and needs to be enabled each time the remote controller is powered on.

Considering they went to the bother of providing the option for iOS users to enable charging, it seems senseless to remove it because Android users thought they were missing something.
2021-7-3
Use props
CallMeAlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Youtube is full of videos about two problems with 1.4.8.  Most common is the battery charge/overheating/screen dimming problem, but also, a few are complaining of oversaturation in videos, particularly in greens.

I agree with the oversaturation situation but I must add that this morning, in a really good flight of over 18 minutes (38% battery remained after landing), not only did my iPhone screen remain on, but the whole phone never felt particularly hot, or even warm.

So I guess the screen dimming problem is not affecting everybody.  However, no doubt that DJI must issue a firmware update very very soon, as people are going to lose their drones when their view of the app disappears.

2021-7-3
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

CallMeAlan Posted at 7-3 06:18
Youtube is full of videos about two problems with 1.4.8.  Most common is the battery charge/overheating/screen dimming problem, but also, a few are complaining of oversaturation in videos, particularly in greens.

I agree with the oversaturation situation but I must add that this morning, in a really good flight of over 18 minutes (38% battery remained after landing), not only did my iPhone screen remain on, but the whole phone never felt particularly hot, or even warm.

Having 3 subversions of 1.4.8, 116, 119 and recently 120, doesn't make it clearer.

As I am on android, using the 120 subversion I hadn't have the heating problem either. But maybe, you guys can state also the subversion you are using when you have or haven't got the heating problem. It might give a clue if the problem is solved by installing the next 1.4.8 version on their webside.

DJI didn't provide any information about why 3 subversion were issued in 24 hours.
2021-7-3
Use props
Ranger7777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 152782 ft
United States

I agree, it should be an option.  I always fly with a fully charged phone but live in Texas with a bright sun and need the brightness to be at maximum.  iPhone 12.  I will just have to limit my flying to one or two batteries.
2021-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules