Advantage of AEB?
920 22 2021-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

I was curious what the advantage of the AEB mode on mini 2 is?
2021-7-3
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

The dynamic range is limited on every camera. This means a camera, any camera, has a limit to capture the light on the brightest and darkest parts of the scene.
So if you have a scene with very shady parts and very bright parts, depending on your exposure the brightest parts will be burned out or the shady parts will be black as can be. No detail at all.

To overcome this and get a wider dynamic range, photographers take a number of pictures underexposed to get the brightest parts and overexposed to get detail in the darker parts.

Most cameras have the option of "bracketing". They shoot at the correct exposure and a number of shots under and overexposed. In a lot of cameras you can choose the number if shots. However in the mini2 this is limited to 3. In other drones like the mavic 2 pro you can use 5 shots.

Those 3, 5 or more pictures can be combined in software editing programs like photoshop, aurora, photomatix Pro to name some. Also called HDR photography. High Dynamic Range.
2021-7-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bracketing can be useful when the lighting on your subject is tricky.
It gives you 3 or 5 shots at slightly different settings, so you have a better chance of getting good exposure.
It's particularly good with action subjects where you might not get a second chance and want to make sure you get the correct exposure.

2021-7-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, Alvara. Thank you for reaching out. You may refer to the post #2 and #3 from our fellow DJI pilots about the advantage of the AEB mode, they already provide a good explanation. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Thank you!
2021-7-3
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-3 20:31
Hi, Alvara. Thank you for reaching out. You may refer to the post #2 and #3 from our fellow DJI pilots about the advantage of the AEB mode, they already provide a good explanation. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Thank you!

Okay thanks
2021-7-4
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Where is post #2 and #3 btw?
2021-7-4
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I can't seem to find them
2021-7-4
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Anyone has any link to them?
2021-7-4
Use props
Gif2D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 528478 ft
Romania

Post #2.
Post #3.
2021-7-4
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

JohnDG Posted at 7-3 17:12
The dynamic range is limited on every camera. This means a camera, any camera, has a limit to capture the light on the brightest and darkest parts of the scene.
So if you have a scene with very shady parts and very bright parts, depending on your exposure the brightest parts will be burned out or the shady parts will be black as can be. No detail at all.

Thank you for the detail! So the Mini 2 does have a HDR mode or is it just limited to the AEB Mode? Also, does the Mini 2 give you an option to combine the photos or do you have to do it yourself?
2021-7-4
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 7-3 17:28
Bracketing can be useful when the lighting on your subject is tricky.
It gives you 3 or 5 shots at slightly different settings, so you have a better chance of getting good exposure.
It's particularly good with action subjects where you might not get a second chance and want to make sure you get the correct exposure.

That explains it, thanks!
2021-7-4
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

shadows and highlights coming out rather than losing exposure in the shadows and losing details in the highlights forever you get both if done right
2021-7-4
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 7-4 03:20
shadows and highlights coming out rather than losing exposure in the shadows and losing details in the highlights forever you get both if done right

So is a 5 shot better than a 3 shot?
2021-7-4
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Alvara74 Posted at 7-4 03:40
So is a 5 shot better than a 3 shot?

If it's required.  It can be too overexposed and too underexposed for it to even matter.
2021-7-4
Use props
Gif2D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 528478 ft
Romania

Sometimes, yes.
2021-7-4
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 7-4 03:44
If it's required.  It can be too overexposed and too underexposed for it to even matter.

What do you mean by that?
2021-7-4
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Alvara74 Posted at 7-4 03:10
Thank you for the detail! So the Mini 2 does have a HDR mode or is it just limited to the AEB Mode? Also, does the Mini 2 give you an option to combine the photos or do you have to do it yourself?

I shoot RAW picture and combine them in Photomatix pro.
AEB does the automatic exposure bracketing and so gives you a number of pictures that can be used for HDR.
In the Go4 program, used for my M2P, I believe there was an HDR option, giving you 1 jpg combining the taken pictures. But I never use such things because of the photographic limitation. I like to have work with the RAW pictures, combine them and have control over the HDR convertions. I do not like overdone HDR.

Having 1 jpg picture leaves no option to control the outcome.
2021-7-4
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

JohnDG Posted at 7-4 06:27
I shoot RAW picture and combine them in Photomatix pro.
AEB does the automatic exposure bracketing and so gives you a number of pictures that can be used for HDR.
In the Go4 program, used for my M2P, I believe there was an HDR option, giving you 1 jpg combining the taken pictures. But I never use such things because of the photographic limitation. I like to have work with the RAW pictures, combine them and have control over the HDR convertions. I do not like overdone HDR.

I see. Well, thank you for the info, it really helped!
2021-7-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

You're welcome. Cheers!
2021-7-4
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Alvara74 Posted at 7-4 06:06
What do you mean by that?

If the image is all white or all black, it doesn't do anything.
2021-7-6
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 7-6 01:06
If the image is all white or all black, it doesn't do anything.

Oh, so there has to be a mixture of different things e.g sky, grass etc for it to work the best?
2021-7-6
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Alvara74 Posted at 7-6 01:07
Oh, so there has to be a mixture of different things e.g sky, grass etc for it to work the best?

There has to be details in each image for it to work.  You can do a 5x AEB instead of 3x but under certain conditions the shutter speed will be Way too slow.  Plus the fact you have to render 5 instead of 3 which is more taxing.  Also it increases the file size I think so when you keep it in storage, your hard drive space will be Higher but this is when I shoot RAW with a 61MP camera.  ISO doesn't change with AEB so if it's at night, you can get a super super long shot that is completely unnecessary and drones at night, the image will be impossible to use unless the wind was 0mph and the GPS was spot on millimeter perfect which never happens.  Unless you are a super crafter that can work Best with as much detail as possible, then it could matter.  Some NYC shots I had way way back w/ the P4PV2 with AEB created amazing images but this was when it was super sunny and w/ it's mechanical shutter.

You also want to make sure you AEB things that don't move.  The clouds will come out wrong on the merge as well as the grass blades that are moving in the wind unless you start painting away things w/ layering in Photoshop.

The first paragraph I was saying was if you aren't painting away thing w/ layering.  If you are layering for all the details then even if you have 1% detail in 1 AEB it could matter such as interior real-estate.

I wouldn't get too crazy w/ it to be honest if you aren't reaching super perfected results.
2021-7-8
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 7-8 16:20
There has to be details in each image for it to work.  You can do a 5x AEB instead of 3x but under certain conditions the shutter speed will be Way too slow.  Plus the fact you have to render 5 instead of 3 which is more taxing.  Also it increases the file size I think so when you keep it in storage, your hard drive space will be Higher but this is when I shoot RAW with a 61MP camera.  ISO doesn't change with AEB so if it's at night, you can get a super super long shot that is completely unnecessary and drones at night, the image will be impossible to use unless the wind was 0mph and the GPS was spot on millimeter perfect which never happens.  Unless you are a super crafter that can work Best with as much detail as possible, then it could matter.  Some NYC shots I had way way back w/ the P4PV2 with AEB created amazing images but this was when it was super sunny and w/ it's mechanical shutter.

You also want to make sure you AEB things that don't move.  The clouds will come out wrong on the merge as well as the grass blades that are moving in the wind unless you start painting away things w/ layering in Photoshop.

That explains everything. Thank you!
2021-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules