P4 not recording all videos
437 8 2021-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TriProt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2139150 ft
United States

I made a flight today to capture some video content. I am positive I pushed the record button and when I got home I offloaded all videos from the sd card onto the PC. After reviewing the contaent I noticed a lot of the content I captured was not there. Some was, but not all of it. I have never had this problem before and hope someone has an explanation.
There was a message stating it was recommended to calibrate the vision system, but I was in the field and did not have my PC with me, so I flew it anyways. The P4 flew fine on all 4 batteries used.
I run the latest firmware and use a CrystalSky display. Any ideas?
2021-7-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Did you stop recording after you landed before switching off the aircraft?
2021-7-4
Use props
TriProt
lvl.2
United States

Hey Geebax, thanks for chiming in. I think I stopped recording, but not 100% sure. The file numbers were consistent and in order. Is there a way to tell if I stopped or not in any logs?
2021-7-4
Use props
TriProt
lvl.2
United States

I went back and compared the path flown in the flight record with the video I captured and oddly the missing footage is in between 2 videos that were recorded. The file numbers were in chronical order, but short in duration. I am pretty sure I never stopped and started recording during the flight. I typically record all the way thru a battery. It seems as though the P4 just stopped recording and then started recording several minutes later. The total flight time was logged as 18 minutes and I have 3 videos from that flight totaling 3 min 39 secs. Very strange
2021-7-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello,Triprot. Have you ever checked all the videos in your SD card and whether there is enough space left. Did you receive the message from your App that it starts recording video now after you press the video button. Or, may you try to tab the "Start/Stop recording" on the APP of CrystalSky to see if it can properly work?
For the visual system calibration, it is recommended that calibrate it through DJI Assitant 2.
2021-7-4
Use props
TriProt
lvl.2
United States

Thx for the reply Wanda. The SD card had plenty of space on it. I offload content after every mission and start new missions with a empty SD card. As I mentioned above, the missing content is in between 2 videos. One video was the video at takeoff and the other video is right before landing. I don't recall ever stopping and restarting recording during the entire flight.
I am not sure if I ever saw a recording message before in the app, but when I touch the button to start/stop there is a beep sound and the button changes visually. I have never noticed these actions not happening, it always beeps and the button changes.
I understand DJI Assistant 2 is required to calibrate the visual system. I did this when I got home from the field. I did not have my laptop with my while in the field. I was just wondering if a uncalibrated visual system would cause the recording issues I experienced. While in the field I also got a message to recalibrate the sticks, which I did while in the field. Is there a log that can tell me if recording has started/stopped?
I am just really bummed as the missing content was the best content of the whole day in the field. Conditions are going to change which will make editing the reshoot content look different when combined with the original content, so I will most likely have to trash the whole day and just start over again.

2021-7-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TriProt Posted at 7-5 07:47
Thx for the reply Wanda. The SD card had plenty of space on it. I offload content after every mission and start new missions with a empty SD card. As I mentioned above, the missing content is in between 2 videos. One video was the video at takeoff and the other video is right before landing. I don't recall ever stopping and restarting recording during the entire flight.
I am not sure if I ever saw a recording message before in the app, but when I touch the button to start/stop there is a beep sound and the button changes visually. I have never noticed these actions not happening, it always beeps and the button changes.
I understand DJI Assistant 2 is required to calibrate the visual system. I did this when I got home from the field. I did not have my laptop with my while in the field. I was just wondering if a uncalibrated visual system would cause the recording issues I experienced. While in the field I also got a message to recalibrate the sticks, which I did while in the field. Is there a log that can tell me if recording has started/stopped?

Try putting the card back in the aircraft and then start and stop a short recording. Then look to see if any other files have appeared.
2021-7-5
Use props
TriProt
lvl.2
United States

Geebax,

I flew the entire mission again today and reformatted the card just to be on the safe side. All content was captured using 3 batteries. The P4 created a new file each time the filesize got to around 3.9GB, as expected. So, it seems to be working properly now, but the profit margin was blown for this job. It's been a very reliable tool up until this issue. Trust is questionable now though, I am always going to be wondering "is it actually recording?".
2021-7-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TriProt Posted at 7-5 16:24
Geebax,

I flew the entire mission again today and reformatted the card just to be on the safe side. All content was captured using 3 batteries. The P4 created a new file each time the filesize got to around 3.9GB, as expected. So, it seems to be working properly now, but the profit margin was blown for this job. It's been a very reliable tool up until this issue. Trust is questionable now though, I am always going to be wondering "is it actually recording?".

I always re-format my card every three or four flights, it is not a bad habit to get into.
2021-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules